Marvel's Moon Knight

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Marvel's Moon Knight

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Looks interesting. Moon Knight is one of those guys that I've always seen people saying "Moon Knight is so cool!" but I don't know anything about him other than something Egyptian and he's like a crazy guy or something. And the trailer doesn't indicate but just from HERESAY I thought he was supposed to be funny, so an Egyptian Deadpool? But of course as it is Marvel and shall be on Disney Plus at no extra cost I will watch it. Sometimes not knowing the intricate details of a comic character is a good thing going into these things so I can't nitpick the alterations from the source material.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The trailer looks kind of weird. I hope the rumour Top heard about Moon Knight potentially being funny is true (not in a Deadpool way though) because that might make me more interested. Maybe a later trailer will appeal to me more. Like Top said, since it will be available on Disney Plus, I plan to watch. I'm just not super excited or anything.
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

So, did anyone watch this? My thoughts:
First off, I found the trailer here to be very misleading. From the commercial here in this topic, I initially assumed the show would be a weird psychopath story of a crazy guy. It looked pretty dark and creepy, and the first episode does indeed live up to that at first. But then as you progress through it, everything is explained, and it turns out that what is seen in the first episode is not as strange as it seemed. Just thought I’d put that out there, because I was very put off by the trailers for this and nearly didn’t watch.

The idea of multiple identities in a superhero is quite interesting. The characters Marc Spector and Steven Grant were a fascinating combo and Oscar Isaac does an excellent job portraying both of them. My favorite part is where Steven Grant summons a literal business suit to fight in, which I thought that was pretty funny. The hippo god was humorous as well. I’m not a huge fan of all the spiritual/mythical stuff that is brought in here with Egyptian gods and spells and whatever those zombie priests were doing human sacrifices (that was disgusting :sick: :wow:), but it certainly was an interesting battle of ideologies between Konshu and Ammit. The villains here were interesting. Harrow was notable, but I found Ammit to essentially be another version of Thanos, emptying the world with his power and philosophy.

As a whole, I’d say Moon Knight lives up to the Marvel standards and the other Marvel shows. It’s got an engaging storyline, good villains, great fight scenes, intriguing mid-credits scene and all the stuff. As a whole, I found it to be slightly darker than the other shows, but that may just be me; it’s not too bad.
So, overall, it was fine. I would just say don’t let the trailer put you off, the show is not quite the way it is portrayed in the trailer, and there’s a reasonable explanation for it all.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I didn't look inside the spoiler tags (thanks for using them, Polehaus) because I still might watch this show. I'm still not sure. I do appreciate hearing that the show differs from the trailer. It looks moderately interesting.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

For a non-spoilery addition: Moon Knight is easily one of my favorite MCU projects. Oscar Isaac is an incredible(ly good-looking) actor, and he handled the script marvelously. I don't want to say too much, but it's definitely worth the watch. And yes, I found it quite funny. It does get into Egyptian mythology, so if that's an issue for anyone then I'd say don't watch it. For me personally, if I can suspend belief about a large purple alien snapping away half the universe, then Egyptian mythology can co-exist in the same universe. But everyone's different, so there's your word of warning from me to you!

Also, episode 4 does have a bit of a creepy part to it (undead creature, basically), but aside from that it was a lot of fun. Heart-wrenching at times with how it worked through mental health and trauma, but I really enjoyed it. I'm in love with Steven Grant, and I am not ashamed about it \:D/

His character is also the first Jewish representation in the MCU, so that was pretty neat! It was obvious, too - not like a fun fact that you have to know.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein