Marvel Studios' What If?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Marvel Studios' What If?

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This looks like fun! I remember hearing about it a while ago but I either didn't hear that it was animated or I forgot. I can see how that opens up a lot of possibilities to do crazy stuff that wouldn't be realistic in a live action production, and I assume that it's cheaper too. The trailer has me intrigued! I will definitely be watching this in August. I have a feeling that it might end up being a bit hit and miss, with some ideas working better than others.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

oh hey it's finally here-
Resident JRPG nut
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, looks fun. Mildly bummed a handful of actors aren't returning to voice their characters, I could've sworn it had been said earlier that basically everyone would be back, but not really a big deal.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

The Top Crusader wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:03 am Yeah, looks fun. Mildly bummed a handful of actors aren't returning to voice their characters, I could've sworn it had been said earlier that basically everyone would be back, but not really a big deal.
I was also sure that everybody was coming back
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I really didn't vibe with the first episode, but everything since has been pretty enjoyable. I feel like MCU stuff is starting to veer into the weirder, more esoteric stuff that initially turned me off from comics as a kid. But as a much older, much wiser, more physically mature man, I'm really enjoying it. My kid also likes watching the show with me but that's because he's 0 years old and likes watching anything that has a color on it.
he/him | a little stinker.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've been watching and enjoying it. I haven't seen the newest episode (something about zombies? not quite my cup of tea) but it's been fun overall. It's fun to see the change of premise for each episode and how they rework things, sometimes more than others. Since it's all presented as being part of different timelines and they aren't trying to change or negate anything from the actual movies, I just enjoy the fun and don't worry too much about the details.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

My favorite "What If...?" episodes were...
1. Zombie episode
For some reason the morbid just makes for a better story. Of course, this is all in an alternate timeline so nothing matters anyway (like "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," or whichever game show where the points are made up). But how casually they just threw away all the characters was hilarious. Also, how much are they paying all these famous, big-name actors for 20 lines of dialog? Aren't all their contracts long expired? Those actors could have asked for blank checks...
I don't care about zombies specifically, but it's an amusing overlay for the world built up over the past 25 movies.
2. Dr. Strange episode
First of all, I did not appreciate the dark, evil stuff happening. That stuff was scary. But everything the character does shows his desperation, and determination, to recover whom he loves, even at the cost of his whole world. I think that stuff's funny. Burn the whole world down, to get back this one person (which didn't even work). He didn't specifically want to end the world, but he didn't mind that it was a risk.
3. World lost its mightiest heroes
The deaths of the main, famous heroes was interesting. The storyline involved too, was interesting. Unfortunately it led to a creepy world run by Loki.

And frankly, none of these worlds sound as bright and happy as we are accustomed to in the main timeline and our real world. As a friend put it, "These are just fanfic. Expensively-produced fanfic, but fanfic nonetheless."
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for posting, KODY! I had gotten myself three episodes behind and your post reminded me to get caught up.

I'm not much for zombie stuff. The episode was okay, just not a favourite for me.

I really liked the What if Killonger Rescued Tony Stark? episode. Something about combining the characters and addressing how heroism is forged in suffering (or something along those lines) was really great.

I just finished watching What if Thor Was an Only Child? and it was quite funny! :lol: I think it was the lightest episode so far and definitely a fun ride.