Alex Trebek's final Jeopardy episode

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Alex Trebek's final Jeopardy episode

Post by bookworm »

The last Jeopardy episode hosted by Alex Trebek will air this Friday. Then for only the second time in its entire syndicated run since 1984 (the only other time being an April Fools episode in 1997) the show will have a different host as "a series of interim guest hosts from within the Jeopardy! family" step in while a full time replacement is chosen, starting with Ken Jennings on January 11th.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I heart about this on the radio this morning (other than the April Fools episode - that's cool!) and I'm sure it will be a very sad occasion for many. I don't watch often, but you don't need to watch regularly to know how iconic and beloved Alex Trebek was. And of course, as a Canadian, there's plenty of national pride that he was a proud Canadian.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:30 pmApril Fools episode - that's cool!
Yeah, Pat Sajak hosted Jeopardy and Alex did Wheel of Fortune that night!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:44 pm
Catspaw wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:30 pmApril Fools episode - that's cool!
Yeah, Pat Sajak hosted Jeopardy and Alex did Wheel of Fortune that night!
That's a super fun April Fools surprise! It must have had some fans confused for a bit.

I think Ken Jennings is a great choice to guest host. Even a casual viewer like me knows he's a big deal in the Jeopardy world.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I really liked Ken's episodes, he did a great job. He's been the presumed next host ever since his legendary run (as the default go to in the minds of general people thinking about it at least, I don't know about on the corporate side) and it's definitely a logical choice, but reputation alone isn't enough to be a good fit things like tone of voice and speed and style of speech are very important for a show like this. I wanted to see him actually host first so I could get a feel for what it would be like before just going 'yeah of course it should be him.' I thought he had great personality and tone from day one, the clue reading took a couple episodes to settle in with me but not because of anything negative about his voice simply because I was so used to Alex's. By the end of the two weeks I thought it all felt natural, I would not be displeased at all if he does get named the permanent host. I have no idea what the likelihood of that happening is, and the decision is probably a long time away yet, but I personally support the obvious choice as being a good one now that we've had a sample.

It will be very interesting to see what the show is like with the rest of these guest hosts.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

I also really hope that he gets named the next host, I've been really enjoying the games with him and he has such an excitement and passion for the game. I eel like a lot of the other guest host coming up won't have that and I'm not looking forward to those episodes
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So, he's actually still hosting through at least this week which (pleasantly) surprises me; I had posted back when I did because I had read that the guests would be trading off two weeks at a time. Whenever they do finally start bringing in other people I wouldn't think they'll each get this long to be on, what if some of them unfortunately aren't good.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

I heard Ken recorded 6 weeks of episodes, then next up is the executive producer Mike Richards for 2 weeks. After that everybody gets 1 week. This is only based on what people have said online who have been at the tapings and not officially announced so it may be slightly incorrect
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Aaron Rodgers did a really good job hosting.