Artemis Fowl

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Artemis Fowl

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw the ad the other day. I've never read the books or really had any interest in doing so (I'm probably a bit too old, plus it's not my favourite genre) and the ad doesn't really appeal to me that much. I realize that I am likely not the target audience. ;) Hopefully it's good!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I only know the books by name, had no idea whatsoever what they were about, saw that first teaser and had no clue what to make of it. I figured it wasn't for me and had no real interest in anything else about it for a year.

Until a real trailer came out. Then it started actually catching my attention.

I still have no clue what's going on or what this world is, it looks nuts, but now I'm clueless in a somewhat intrigued way rather than a disinterested way.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I'm excited for this film! I read the book when I heard they were making a movie about it. I enjoyed the story but there's 8 books I think it the Artemis Fowl series. I wonder if they mean to make more movies or just this one. It's fun to watch the trailer at realize which scenes are which in the book.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I absolutely loved the series--read all of them multiple times when I was younger. The trailers released so far don't make it seem like they're holding to the book narratives that much at all, it's just a hodgepodge of the different scenes/characters. Nevertheless...it'll be on streaming, so I'll probably see it haha.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Monty wrote:Nevertheless...it'll be on streaming
Yes! They are releasing it for Disney+ on June 12! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh, I guess that removes the need for me to decide if I'm intrigued enough to buy a ticket which I expected I would have to do whenever they ended up moving the release to.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

This is all going in a spoiler.
:mope:

Well. I mean. I can't say I'm surprised, I'm just disappointed. It feels like Disney just doesn't understand what people actually like about stories. In this case, I can only assume they thought people liked the part where it was set in Ireland*, and the faeries have cool guns, and Artemis Fowl is a twelve-year-old who wears a suit. That's what the movie was about, right? :anxious:

*I say that with strong irony, as this film review title put it very well

Actually the movie experience itself was great because my housemates and I all watched it at 1 in the morning with homemade bingo cards and cheered every time something terrible happened, but that is not the point.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Oh... I didn't notice this topic had already been made... Can the mods merge my topic here?
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

Movie bad, books good. I have no idea what the movie writers and directors were doing, but they did not tell a good story or make it interesting. So, that happened.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:Oh... I didn't notice this topic had already been made... Can the mods merge my topic here?
Done!

I saw part of the movie on Thursday. I've never read the books. There were 10-18 year olds watching the movie and I was in and out of the room, and busy with other things most of the time I was in the room, so I can't offer a full opinion. It seemed fairly mediocre. Most of the kids really enjoyed it, with several asking if there would be more, so apparently it does appeal to at least some people.

The best part was when one of the kids said, "He sounds like Olaf," and I informed him it was the same actor. The idea of a giant dwarf played very well in the room. ;) The first time I saw the trailer and saw Josh Gad, he immediately looked familiar, but it took me a minute to place him. He does have a distinctive voice, so I thought it was cute that somebody picked him out as Olaf by his voice while he looked nothing like a snowman. ;)
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Isaiah the Ox wrote:Movie bad, books good. I have no idea what the movie writers and directors were doing, but they did not tell a good story or make it interesting. So, that happened.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was expecting it to not me good. :(
Parakeet

Post by Parakeet »

It was not very good. I don't remember much from the books, but my brother did, so there were constant remarks of "That isn't what happened!" and "What??" I could not hear Mulch talk without hearing Olaf with a sore throat, but maybe that's just me. :anxious:
Artemis Fowl is supposed to be a criminal mastermind, and the entire movie he was mostly just a regular kid. At the end he said "I am a criminal mastermind" without even doing anything remotely diabolical. Additionally, I thought his whole motive in the books was that his mom was sick, and in the movie they just said she was dead. Can't be a Disney movie without dead parents, I guess.

Also, Artemis would never wear a sweatshirt.

I probably am being way too critical of this, but it felt like Percy Jackson all over again. They shouldn't have to change the entire plot of a book series in order to make a movie. A unique story is what makes the book interesting. I don't see why they don't use the actual story of the book for the movie. It felt like they just plugged the characters into a poorly written story.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I just finished watching it and I agree that it was not the greatest. I think it would have been okay if it didn't have source material.

List of things I didn't like:
I didn't like how the mother was dead. I loved the way he got his mother's health back in the first book.
I didn't like how Artemis seemed like a regular kid like Parakeet said. It did try to show that he was a genius but they didn't do a good job of it.
I didn't like that the father came out as much as he did. I believe he is only mentioned in the first book.
I didn't like that the father was rescued at the end. He isn't rescued in the first book.
I didn't like how they rushed Artemis' and Holly's friendship.
I didn't like how Opal was already introduced when she doesn't come out at all in the first book.
I didn't like how they omitted the scene where Artemis gets the fairy's book.
I didn't like that he threatened to expose their world but didn't prove how he would do it just that he would. Sounded like an empty threat to me.
I didn't like that Artemis was all like "He's not a criminal he's my dad!" But he knows that his family has a history of thievery and embraces it in the book.
Monty_Whittaker

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

YEah, this movie sucks.
Resident JRPG nut