Wonder Woman 1984

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Wonder Woman 1984

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

They had me at Chris Pine. :inlove:

The only DCU movie I've seen is Wonder Woman, which was supposed to be the best of them, and I still only found it okay, so I wasn't super excited when I heard about this movie. The trailer looks decent. If it gets decent reviews I might see it in theatres. Otherwise, it can wait for Netflix.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:They had me at Chris Pine. :inlove:
They lost me at Chris Pine. :anxious:

Not really, I'm still excited for the movie and will definitely be seeing it in the theater, but it did make me raise an eyebrow. When I heard he was in the cast I assumed it was for flashbacks. Really surprised to see he's actually a character; need more information on how he's back to decide if I'm okay with it or if it cheapens the end of the first movie.

Side note: this just adds on to the Captain America similarities right? It was weird enough that both were war heroes named Steve who both sacrificed themselves on airplanes. Now both also didn't actually die and come back several years in the future?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:They had me at Chris Pine. :inlove:
They lost me at Chris Pine. :anxious:

Not really, I'm still excited for the movie and will definitely be seeing it in the theater, but it did make me raise an eyebrow. When I heard he was in the cast I assumed it was for flashbacks. Really surprised to see he's actually a character; need more information on how he's back to decide if I'm okay with it or if it cheapens the end of the first movie.

Side note: this just adds on to the Captain America similarities right? It was weird enough that both were war heroes named Steve who both sacrificed themselves on airplanes. Now both also didn't actually die and come back several years in the future?
Haha, we are not looking for the same thing in a movie. ;)

I assumed he wouldn't be in the movie, which was one of the reasons I was super uninterested, so his presence was a surprise and I really don't know what the explanation will be for his not being dead status. ;) It definitely makes it more similar to Captain America, which is kind of weird. I'm not sure what to think about that.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah it's not that I'm opposed to having him back, I like the character and wouldn't mind seeing more of him, but whether I'm okay with it happening is going to depend on how it's been done here.

They need to have something that makes him being alive not only make sense, very important on its own, but even more importantly be worth it. Because it's not just going to be like oh he's back because it's the cliche no one in these comic book movies ever really dies and it's just an eye rolling thing, there's more importance to this case because his sacrifice was the crux of the first movie, in the plot but also in Diana's character development. Undercutting that would be a major misstep if not done for a very good reason.

Also notice that he's not just not dead, but he hasn't even aged. I'm very curious what the explanation is.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well. That was a movie.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I heard that it was super bad. Top's post does not detract from that. ;) I was already only barely interested in watching it whenever it would be free to watch on Netflix or wherever it ends up, so this doesn't rock my world too much. I do love Chris Pine. :inlove: That was the only reason for my super mild level of interest. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I heard it was a disappointing sequel, but not that it was bad. (But people could be saying that, I haven't paid too close attention because I don't want spoiled before I see it myself.) That would be a shame, I was pretty excited for it. Would have already seen it if theaters were open here; they aren't so I'm deciding if I'll get enough value from a month of HBO Max to stream it because if I'm signing up just for that it won't be worth doing. (Especially if it really isn't good which seems may be the case.)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, and I think HBO Max quit doing free trials now that they are putting their theatrical movies on there. I found a deal to subscribe at a slight discount, figured it would be worth checking out and I wanted to see WW84. it's still quite a bit more expensive than Disney Plus so I'm not really feeling it. Loads of content to be sure, but primarily things I'm either not personally interested in, OR things I am interested in so already own the show/movies whatever (pretty nice collection of Godzilla films, for example).

I might cancel it until Godzilla VS Kong is on there, assuming theaters are still closed which seems probable.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The subscription is more than Disney+ is but at least the movies are included with it here. So it actually comes out to equivalent pricing for two theater tickets, which is what we would be paying in normal circumstances, compared to when I wanted to watch Mulan but didn't because the extra price on top of the subscription that you had to pay made it cost more than if my entire family had gone to see it in the theater.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The best part about the film was Pedro Pascal 8-[ The storyline was kinda funky, and there really wasn't a logical conclusion to the film. Seemed scattered and a bit all over the place. The concept of it was intriguing; it's a bummer they couldn't pull it off.

Buuut...Space Dad's face made all the :-s worth it :inlove:
I will say - I feel like Max Lord's recanting of the wish should have cancelled everything else out. You're telling me that every single person who heard him renounced their wish?? yeah, okay, sure...
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Watched it last night. Wow what a major disappointment.

Top's reaction is exactly mine as well; when I was trying to think of how I would describe my immediate thoughts on what I saw all I could put together was 'Well that was... a movie.'

It's not good. But, interestingly, I hesitate to say it's bad. It's just really, really weird. The humor felt off, the dramatic parts felt off, Diana's character development felt off, everything about it was just off. I strongly disliked it as a Wonder Woman movie, especially as a sequel to the great first one, but I actually think the plot is a good idea and if they had made essentially the exact same movie just without the DCU ties I think it could have been something. If it was just a supernatural global political thriller about society falling apart as people make these wishes not realizing or caring about the cost, with all the same bizarre character choices and over the top drama, I don't know if it would be considered good but it would definitely be interesting. But as the next installment in the DCU, which had been righting the ship finally, it's an awkward and unfortunate failure of a movie.

Termite wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:44 pm
You're telling me that every single person who heard him renounced their wish?? yeah, okay, sure...
I thought most people would have that gut reaction, and I did too at first, so I want to address that because I realized it actually does work if you think about what was really going on there.
It seems at first to just be Diana pleading with the people to change their minds and they all do and I agree that doesn't work as a satisfactory resolution. But there was actually more at work there. The key is remembering the detail that his broadcast was establishing a physical connection with the viewers (that's how he was able to grant their wishes) so when she had the lasso on him and he was still transmitting, that connection also passed to the viewers and in effect put everyone else also in contact with the lasso.

So every single person recanted their wish just like that? Yes, because they saw the vision of truth from the lasso, which made them understand what was going on and how to fix it. They had no choice, they were put in a state of total clarity and saw that was the only thing to do. You can question whether that resolution is satisfying or not, but the actual reasoning behind it does work in the logic the movie set up.

The invisible jet got me, I somehow didn't realize where they were going with that until only a few seconds before it happened.

I couldn't decide if I thought the flying scene was emotional or just cheesy, it should have been a major and moving moment, but like the entire rest of the movie something about it just felt off.

The end credits scene was also odd. Very cool cameo, but what the scene actually is and means raises lots of questions about the lore they established.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

It may not be something to have indepth discussions about on the ToO, but I thought it was, uh... inappropriate that Chris Pine Guy took over the other guy's body and was... kissy-kissy with Wonder Woman. Like that seems like something that would be frowned upon, but the movie didn't even try to address it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I wasn't going to bring that up unless someone else did, but I had the same thought. It's not good if you actually think about it, which either the writers didn't too much or at least hoped the audience just wouldn't too much.

Stargate Universe had a premise that raised the same issue but as I recall at least made a sort of effort to not just gloss over it like it was nothing of concern.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Plus did that guy just fall off the face of the earth as far as everyone who knows him thinks? Did he get fired for not showing up to work without notice? When Steve Trevor "left" did he just wake up in an alley with no recollection of however many days?