Black Widow

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Black Widow

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That looks really good! I thought I had seen something about the movie potentially being rated R at some point, but this trailer doesn't seem to indicate that. Consider me intrigued.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

This looks cool! I honestly didn't think I would bother watching any of the new movies after Endgame came out, but I do actually want to see this.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My mom wants to come see this, which was surprising to hear. She knows nothing about Marvel, but she happened to be in Budapest while they were filming one of the scenes and watched from across a river so she wants to see it in the movie.

The only other MCU movie she's seen is Captain America and she knows absolutely nothing about the greater story beyond that; has no clue who Black Widow is. It doesn't look like that will be an issue for understanding what is happening here, seems like a fairly stand alone story. Of course there are deeper connections to the bigger picture that has been developed through all the other movies if you know about them, but if you don't it looks like you would be able to jump in here and just get what this story is in itself.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, how cool that your mom got to see them filming one of the scenes! I can understand how that would make her interested in the movie, even without much franchise familiarity.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Well there's finally a release plan. July 9th in theaters that are open and same day streaming through Disney Plus Premier Access ($30 on demand purchase). Apparently that wasn't a one-off thing just for Mulan like they had claimed it would be.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, it must have worked well enough for Mulan to want to try again. In Disney's defence, when they said that about Mulan, I think they expected theatres to be fully (or at least mostly) open by this summer, which isn't really looking to be the case, which is where that dual release system does make sense. I'd like to see it in theatres with my brother if I can, since we've watched most Marvel movies in theatres together over the years. Otherwise, I find it very hard to justify the cost to watch a movie on my own TV that I know will be part of my regular Disney+ subscription if I just wait it out.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:29 pmIn Disney's defence, when they said that about Mulan, I think they expected theatres to be fully (or at least mostly) open by this summer
This is true and probably partly plays into why they're doing it again here, but their next release after Mulan (Soul) wasn't put behind the Premier paywall it was just released into the regular library, so it had looked before like they were indeed pulling back from that model after the initial experiment like they had said, and theaters were still closed then. :shrugs:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I want to see this in theaters, it looks interesting enough and I think I'm 22/23 for seeing the MCU films in theaters--but man being able to just watch it at home is really tempting. >_>
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, watching from home is so handy, but a bigger action release like this really does still inspire me to want to go the theatre when I can. The price of premiere access movies in Canada is $34.99. I can get to the theatre and buy a ticket for a lot less than that! If it was just a few dollars I'd be less inspired to go to the theatre, but that might be one of the reasons the price is so high. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Theoretically it costs more, but once its up digitally like that... :-$

It's really just an issue of childcare coordination with showing times over the cost, though.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I do not bootleg.

I don't have kids, so I hadn't actually thought of that aspect. It makes sense that it is way more convenient from home, plus not having to find/pay a babysitter would be an advantage. It's been so long since I've been to the theatre at this point that I really do want to go!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I liked the part with there being Black Widows and Russian stuff.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

This movie was incredibly disappointing.
Also something weird - Black Widow never wins any of her fight scenes in her own movie.
She either ties or outright loses.

. .Yeah concerning. .
Resident JRPG nut
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well the part about the uteruses was funny at least.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Of all the superheroes, Black Widow (and Hawkeye) are the regular humans. I suppose a Russian secret-agent-trained-assassin is a super human, but I wouldn't go so far as to remove the space from that phrase. Sometimes you lose fights!
I thought the old dude Vasely was entertaining: the old wannabe. Plus, it's David Harbour of Stranger Things fame!
Yeah, this movie wasn't the best Marvel movie. But it was a decent standalone movie.
The biggest plot hole is the whole pheromone-based protection that keeps the assassins from harming their master. Just shoot him through a window, duh... Beats smashing your face against a desk. I guess we had to see how tough Black Widow is even though she loses all her fights. Oh, and does she need a new name? There's now a few dozen of her kind out there...
Maybe the whole movie was to let us pass on the cloak of the Dark Knight Black Widow to the next person! And snap, those Russian characters like four-letter words! To think I was using something branded Disney...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

Max Velin wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:17 am Worth watching?
I would say no, but everyone's taste is different. I love most of the MCU movies, but this one seemed a little bleak and depressing. It's humor was more "adult" (i.e. inappropriate) in this one too. The new Shang Chi movie was really good though.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------