The Mandalorian

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

The Mandalorian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This looks really interesting, and I definitely want to watch! It's the promise of original content like this that makes me really interested in Disney Plus, as well as the hope that there will be lots of awesome old Disney stuff available.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'll be watching this eventually since it's Star Wars canon, but can't get into it right now. Besides not having the streaming service, I don't have the time to follow a tv show. I'm not even though Clone Wars yet and haven't started Rebels.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

it's the best thing to come out of star wars since Disney bought it.
Resident JRPG nut
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Clone Wars is awesome! I haven't seen Rebels yet either.

I'm looking forward to The Mandalorian. I signed up for Disney Plus the first day. They have lots of the stuff that I like. I haven't watched this show yet. My brother and I would like to watch it together, and we live an hour apart with a lot of our time together being family time, not TV time. We're hoping to watch around Christmas. The advantage is that by then we'll havea bunch of episodes to watch!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've heard good things about it so far; glad it's not a disappointment.

Apparently Clone Wars is coming back too.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

As in more episodes of Clone Wars? That would be great! It's the perfect format for that kind of thing because it tells stories from different time periods in different places at different times.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes, at least one new season is coming out.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Definitely a must watch, I’d say it’s the best piece of Star Wars media ever made.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

EK wrote:Definitely a must watch, I’d say it’s the best piece of Star Wars media ever made.
It might be, can't say if I put it over the OT yet or not but it is easily better than the prequels, sequels, and spinoffs.

And the weird Ewok movies no one talks about.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I’d definitely put it over any of the movies. KOTOR 1 and 2 is the only piece of Star Wars media that gives me pause to call it that, but eh, whatever, it’s the best piece of Star Wars media... calling it now.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

KOTOR is better. But I'm a gaming need so of course I would say thag. and empire is better.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Season 2 casting spoiler:
It will have Ahsoka Tano.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Woohoo! I saw that the other day and was very intrigued. I think this will be good.

I'm looking forward to season two. The first season was great. I watched it an episode or two at a time spread out over a couple of months not because of the one-episode-a-week release schedule, but because my brother and I were watching together and that's when we had time to watch. Very well done, and every episode was good. Sometimes you get a show with a couple good episodes that carry the lousy ones enough to make the show worth watching, but I really felt that every episode was great on it's own merit.

Of course, like most of the rest of the people in the world, I adore baby Yoda. :inlove: I know that he's "the child" on the show and not really baby Yoda, but the name is too catchy not to use. He is the cutest thing I have ever seen in my life, and I include my two nieces in this (just nobody tell my sister.) ;)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

bookworm wrote:Season 2 casting spoiler:
It will have Ahsoka Tano.
I almost shed a tear when I read who was cast, but I'm still super stoked for it!
Hopefully there are some Rebels answers :panic:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Finally got to watch this!

I definitely liked it, but I expected to be blown away based on how high the praise was and I wasn't. Good show for sure though.

I get the baby craze now! When I saw pictures I thought yeah it's very cute but why are people going absolutely crazy over it. But actually seeing it in the show now I get it. Completely different than just a picture. I think it's the way the ears move.

I didn't really get the western vibe everyone always mentioned, except for episode four. That one was unmistakably very Magnificent Seven inspired: gunslinger is asked to help a farming village targeted by raiders and teams with old acquaintances (or just one here) to teach the villagers to shoot and set traps before the next attack.

There were a couple minor things here and there I would have preferred done differently, but only one actual complaint: I really don't think we should have seen his face. I don't mind that he finally took the helmet off, the moment was earned and made sense, it worked because it was with a droid not a human and it was a nice turning point in the ongoing thing between him and droids, the scene itself was good I just firmly believe that we the audience shouldn't have seen it. It should have been played out the same way, but cut to a reverse shot when he actually lifts the helmet so we at most just saw the back of his head.

In summary, not as groundbreaking a show as I expected it to be from all the hype, but very solid and enjoyable and I look forward to another season.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay! I'm glad you finally got to watch, bookworm. I can see how after hearing hype for so long that the expectations would have been really high.

You make me want to see the Child again (or, as I refer to him as, along with most people, baby Yoda), because he is just sooo cute! :mad:

For the western vibe - how about the start of the first episode? There's the "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" style music and shooting his way to acquiring his bounty. To me that set the tone for that western feeling....though I make no claims to be an expert in the genre. ;)

I see what you mean about how they could have done the scene without the audience seeing the face. I seem to recall reading something about how if the actor's face is never seen that he isn't eligible for awards or full credit or something like that. I'm not sure if that was a consideration or factor in any way in the decision to show his face.

If my memory serves me correctly (no guarantees) then season two will be out the end of October or something like that. I'm looking forward to it! I assume that they'll release one episode per week on Disney+ like for season one. Last time my brother and I waited until the whole season was out and watched a couple episodes at a time as we had a chance. I might try to watch in a more timely manner this time around.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:For the western vibe - how about the start of the first episode? There's the "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" style music and shooting his way to acquiring his bounty. To me that set the tone for that western feeling....though I make no claims to be an expert in the genre. ;)
Oh yeah, there were definitely elements scattered throughout, but I personally wouldn't name that as the defining genre or feel of the overall show, I didn't think it stood out in particular as something running under the whole season in an overly notable way. So many reviews and reactions categorically labeled it "a Star Wars western" that I just expected that feeling to be really hammered in from start to end and to me (a major western fan who has seen too many to count) it didn't seem to be. There certainly were several themes to pick up on, but I wouldn't have used that particular label as the definitive description of the show. Like most good scifi it blends aspects of multiple genres. Western is certainly in there but I didn't think it stood out noticeably more than any others.

Catspaw wrote:I see what you mean about how they could have done the scene without the audience seeing the face. I seem to recall reading something about how if the actor's face is never seen that he isn't eligible for awards or full credit or something like that.
If that's true I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reasoning and in that case I would give them more of a pass on the decision because of course they should want their production to be able to get all recognition it deserves. But if it was something they decided to do without concerns of meta implications beyond what's on screen I still hold it was a mistake. No human has ever seen his face, that's been repeatedly established throughout the show as one of the most critical things about the character, so that should extend to us the viewer as well; even though we're not actual participants in the story, having the omniscient audience view of the narrative, it still brings the feeling of betraying that plot point that we were able to see him.

Catspaw wrote:If my memory serves me correctly (no guarantees) then season two will be out the end of October or something like that.
That's correct, and I too am assuming they will release one episode at a time again so I won't be watching it for a while. I've cancelled my subscription for now after I watched everything I immediately wanted to so I'm not going to activate it again to watch week by week requiring multiple payments when I can wait until it's all out and just get one month to watch all the episodes.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Quoting everything seems like a bit much for the casual thoughts I have, so I'm just being lazy. ;)

It sounds like you are a Western expert and I can see what you mean about how there are elements present but not to the degree that you had expected based on info you had read.

Technically other humans have seen his face, just not since he became a Mandolorian. Maybe that's what you meant. I get what you're saying about not showing his face even to the audience, but it doesn't bother me. Viewers don't exist in the world of the show. If he was a real person, no human saw his face. The audience is outside of the character's reality. This just also isn't the kind of thing that bothers me much. ;) I can see both sides of the argument.

Just subscribing for a month now and then when there's stuff built up you want to watch is a good strategy if you only really want to watch a few things.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:Technically other humans have seen his face, just not since he became a Mandolorian. Maybe that's what you meant.
Yes, since the helmet went on no one has seen it come off is what I meant. We know people saw his face before that, as a kid, and even we did in the flashbacks.
Catspaw wrote:Viewers don't exist in the world of the show. ... The audience is outside of the character's reality.
Sure, and this is definitely just a personal thing not a real issue since in the end it can all be waved away by 'the audience isn't real' or however you want to describe the abstraction of watching a movie or tv show, and that's perfectly correct. It just would have made the 'no one can see me' issue that's been repeated multiple times by that point even more firmly established as something so critical to the character if they had extended it to the audience even though they didn't have to.