The Mandalorian

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Viewers don't exist in the world of the show. ... The audience is outside of the character's reality.
Sure, and this is definitely just a personal thing not a real issue since in the end it can all be waved away by 'the audience isn't real' or however you want to describe the abstraction of watching a movie or tv show, and that's perfectly correct. It just would have made the 'no one can see me' issue that's been repeated multiple times by that point even more firmly established as something so critical to the character if they had extended it to the audience even though they didn't have to.
Yes, I'm glad you shared your thoughts because I hadn't really thought of it that way before, and I do see this could take away from the experience for some people. They do repeatedly refer to the helmet situation and it is a big part of the show.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

So cute! I love it. That last little scene is hilarious. What a great way to get in the action scene and keep it PG for little eyes, green or otherwise. ;) The trailer definitely has me getting excited for season two.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

so season 2 is over now, anybody watch it?
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I watched it! i was not expecting what happened at the end, and am really curious to see where they go from here. will they undo what they've done really quickly, or just change the entire vibe of the show? im not sure, so im defiantly looking forward to seeing what happens
I am confused
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched the first seven episodes and I'm watching the eighth one today, so thank you for no spoilers in the thread! My brother and I can't watch together physically like we usually would, so we've been watching an episode or two at a time while talking on the phone.

My love for Baby Yoda has only grown over time. :inlove: His adorableness cannot fully be put into words. You can all be thankful not to be my brother, who has to put up with, "Aww, Baby Yoda is so cute!" and "I love Baby Yoda!" etc. multiple times per episode. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I really liked season two a lot! Even more than the first I think.

Absolutely loved episode one; unmistakable Western style in that one. I liked seeing interaction with the Tuskens, and the Krayt dragon was really neat though I'd never known them to be depicted as swimming through the sand like that before. Don't have a problem with it, it was just an interesting choice. I was looking for a reference to the pearl to come up, knowing it was a thing from playing KotoR, and it was cool to see that detail included.

I liked that from what was built up last season about the helmet you immediately knew something was wrong when the Marshal ordered a drink, picking up on it at exactly the same time as our main character did.

Episode two was the source of both one of the cutest things (Frog Lady) and one of the most terrifying things (ice spider swarm) in the entire franchise. I did not expect something like the latter from Star Wars, that was an outright scifi horror scene à la Alien. :eek!:

I liked seeing the differing ideologies among Mandalorians in episode three. It gives depth to the world building because of course there are going to be varied views in any group, but since until now we had only been shown things from the one point of view it may not have occurred to some viewers that there could be others who thought and acted differently.

I also really liked the fishing boat scene, even though it was very brief, just because I had honestly never considered the existence of marine vessels like that in the Star Wars universe before. Obviously they must still be a thing there, but scifi is so much about flying ships you overlook the water kind anymore or at least I did.

Live action Ahsoka was neat. I was caught off guard when she finally name dropped who she was after, didn't see that coming! It's the first confirmation, at least that I was aware of, that they are bringing that character back to the canon. I figured they would at some point, I couldn't see them completely scrapping such a beloved part of the Expanded Universe, so it wasn't a surprise that it happened in general, I just didn't expect it to happen right here.

Finally getting some details on why Moff Gideon is after Baby Yoda. He's a 'donor' with a 'high M count' (that has to be midichlorian right?), so there's some kind of experimentation going on that has something to do with the Force. My prediction is they're attempting the Reborn project from the Jedi Outcast video game.

Also: They're tracking your ship Kyle, you're leading Desann right to the Valley of the Jedi. #-o (Continuing the Jedi Outcast parallels.)

I had thought that armor he picked up looked like Boba's. I've never been one of those people that thought he was such a cool character, but it's neat to see more of him here.

Hey, dark troopers! It's cool to see stuff being brought in from the video games.

I forgot to mention it in season one, but same for seeing use of a disruptor rifle. (Which was the reason for Vader's "no disintegrations" remark in Empire Strikes Back; something the casual viewer wouldn't understand because we haven't seen one on screen before.)

I had the finale reveal spoiled so I knew who was going to show up already; if I didn't I really don't know if I would have anticipated it beforehand. I feel like probably yes, but at the same time it's such a big thing to do, both in canon lore implications and just real life technical implications of making the show, that even if I thought that might be where things were going I may have not expected them to actually do it.

We can assume this is the start of Luke's academy, which makes you wonder what happened to Grogu knowing how long that species lives. Would he have still been in training during the events referenced in the new trilogy?

Cool end credits scene!

I knew at one time they floated the idea of a bounty hunter show, but I had never heard confirmation it had officially been put into production, and hadn't heard anything about it for so long I completely forgot about it actually, so while watching this scene I just thought 'that's a neat wrapup for that side story' and only when he sat on the throne had the thought 'wait, could this be setting up-' *bam* "Coming December" I'll be interested to check that out.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay! I'm so glad that you were able to watch season two and enjoyed it so much, bookworm! \:D/ Some of your comments make me think I should rewatch because I don't remember all the details you mentioned (though of course I remember the big stuff.) I also have questions about Grogu's future and how they can link it with stuff already in canon.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

This show is such a fun ride and I love the relationship between Mando and Grogu.
Luke showing up was so satisfying. I was not surprised when I watched the episode at 6 in the morning (I called that he'd appear episodes before considering the whole goal of season 2 was to bring Grogu to a Jedi) but it was still thrilling. I was surprised how shocked everybody was by Luke's return, but it made watching all the reactions that much more fun.
I suspect season 3 (which, might I add, is currently filming) will focus more heavily on Mandalorian culture, especially considering that Din, ostensibly, is the ruler of Mandalore. The differing ideologies of the Mandalorians was vaguely explored in season 2 so I hope season 3 will explore that further. It's so interesting to me that not only is there disagreement among the Mandalorians themselves about who is a 'true' Mandalorian, there is also much debate among the fanbase about this question due to the fractured nature of the culture. One could argue being a Mandalorian is about being a warrior, but, heck, we've had pacifistic Mandalorians. I think one thing that all Mandalorians can agree on is that they are loyalty-bound and family-driven. I'd love to see a collection of diverse Mandalorians with conflicting ideas of what it means to be Mandalorian join forces to defeat a big bad (likely the Imperial Remnants or even Thrawn now that he has been name-dropped).
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Monica, what an interesting perspective. You have clearly given this more thought that I have. I really like your idea about seeing the factions unite for a common bigger purpose. Here's hoping for more awesomeness in season three!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pm Absolutely loved episode one; unmistakable Western style in that one. I liked seeing interaction with the Tuskens, and the Krayt dragon was really neat though I'd never known them to be depicted as swimming through the sand like that before. Don't have a problem with it, it was just an interesting choice. I was looking for a reference to the pearl to come up, knowing it was a thing from playing KotoR, and it was cool to see that detail included.
Did you catch where they made the shot widen as the Krayt dragon came out of the cave?? pulls you right into the storytelling, and one of my favorite SW bits of cinematography of all time.

bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pmI liked seeing the differing ideologies among Mandalorians in episode three. It gives depth to the world building because of course there are going to be varied views in any group, but since until now we had only been shown things from the one point of view it may not have occurred to some viewers that there could be others who thought and acted differently.
The best part is with this, it would seem that Din came from a break-off of Death Watch - the group of exiled Mandos who backed Darth Maul's takeover of Mandalore circa the end of the Clone Wars. Funny enough, it's the faction Bo Katan left - ONLY because a Mandalorian was no longer leader. Not because they were terrorists or anything \:D/

There's a lot of red schemes in Din's coverts colors, and the Armorer's helmet is reminiscent of the ones Death Watch made to honor Maul. Eeeek!

bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pmLive action Ahsoka was neat. I was caught off guard when she finally name dropped who she was after, didn't see that coming! It's the first confirmation, at least that I was aware of, that they are bringing that character back to the canon. I figured they would at some point, I couldn't see them completely scrapping such a beloved part of the Expanded Universe, so it wasn't a surprise that it happened in general, I just didn't expect it to happen right here.
This particular character was canonized in Rebels! There are also a couple of new, canon novels out about his earlier days in the Empire. While I've not gotten into the literature side as much, I've heard they're good. But if you like the character, then Rebels should be your next watch!

bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pmFinally getting some details on why Moff Gideon is after Baby Yoda. He's a 'donor' with a 'high M count' (that has to be midichlorian right?), so there's some kind of experimentation going on that has something to do with the Force. My prediction is they're attempting the Reborn project from the Jedi Outcast video game.
The other failed clone attempts in the background tubes look like Snoke to me! I think it was supposed to help connect the Sequel Trilogy to the rest of the universe and make it seem more plausible, as they'd been working on it for over ten years before the time of those films.

bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pmWe can assume this is the start of Luke's academy, which makes you wonder what happened to Grogu knowing how long that species lives. Would he have still been in training during the events referenced in the new trilogy?
I have a feeling Din and Grogu will be reunited. For one, I doubt Disney will give up one of their most marketable creatures by having him be a total no-show, and two, everyone would riot if they confirmed he was killed in the siege of Luke's temple.

Monica Stone wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:39 amI suspect season 3 (which, might I add, is currently filming) will focus more heavily on Mandalorian culture, especially considering that Din, ostensibly, is the ruler of Mandalore. The differing ideologies of the Mandalorians was vaguely explored in season 2 so I hope season 3 will explore that further. It's so interesting to me that not only is there disagreement among the Mandalorians themselves about who is a 'true' Mandalorian, there is also much debate among the fanbase about this question due to the fractured nature of the culture. One could argue being a Mandalorian is about being a warrior, but, heck, we've had pacifistic Mandalorians. I think one thing that all Mandalorians can agree on is that they are loyalty-bound and family-driven. I'd love to see a collection of diverse Mandalorians with conflicting ideas of what it means to be Mandalorian join forces to defeat a big bad (likely the Imperial Remnants or even Thrawn now that he has been name-dropped).
I think Satine and her group are really the only pacifist Mandalorians we've really seen (aside from some citizens in the capital in CWS7?? not sure I'm remembering that right tho) But I definitely agree; it's going to be great to see all the coverts coming together! It's one of my favorite SW media pieces. I'm so excited for S3 \:D/

I will say, having had watched Rebels, Thrawn probably won't be a part of The Mandalorian in the future. It's far more likely he'll be in the Ahsoka series for various reasons I don't want to spoil :-$
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I love the in-depth analysis from such a hardcore fan!
Termite wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pm
bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 pmWe can assume this is the start of Luke's academy, which makes you wonder what happened to Grogu knowing how long that species lives. Would he have still been in training during the events referenced in the new trilogy?
I have a feeling Din and Grogu will be reunited. For one, I doubt Disney will give up one of their most marketable creatures by having him be a total no-show, and two, everyone would riot if they confirmed he was killed in the siege of Luke's temple.
Add me to the potential rioters. :protest: I'm quite sure that you are right that Disney's marketing interests, if nothing else, should save baby Yoda somehow. ;)

I haven't watched Rebels yet, so I should get around to that one of these days.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Termite wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pmThis particular character was canonized in Rebels!
Ah! I haven't seen that yet, it's next on my list after I finally watch Clone Wars.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Termite wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pmI will say, having had watched Rebels, Thrawn probably won't be a part of The Mandalorian in the future. It's far more likely he'll be in the Ahsoka series for various reasons I don't want to spoil :-$
Oh I definitely agree he'll probably make his onscreen debut in the Ahsoka series, but it has been officially stated by Lucasfilm president that the Ahsoka show, Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, and Rangers of the New Republic will crossover into a big "climatic story event."
I suspect Thrawn may be the Thanos figure of the story.
bookworm wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:17 pm
Termite wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:08 pmThis particular character was canonized in Rebels!
Ah! I haven't seen that yet, it's next on my list after I finally watch Clone Wars.
Clone Wars boasts of the best storytelling Star Wars has to offer. Highly recommend it! It gives a lot of backstory and layers to the lore presented in The Mandalorian. It's a slow start, but absolutely worth it.

Rebels is a spinoff of Clone Wars and is going to be essential viewing for *especially* the Ahsoka series and likely also for the Mandalorian and related shows. It also starts slow but has some great stories.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yay! More Baby Yoda! :inlove: That's all I really need in my life. \:D/

I'm curious to see what comes next for the Mandalorian. It looks like a few familiar faces will be returning.

I'm ready for an adventure. :D
Stephen P
Hexadecimal teenager
Post by Stephen P »

Looking forward to this one!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Babu Frik :inlove:
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

The latest episode had Jack Black and Christopher Lloyd in it! It was pretty fun.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I kept looking at Christopher Lloyd's character and trying to figure out where I had seen him before. I just couldn't place him until I saw his name in the credits and then it was quite obvious. ;)

I'm looking forward to the season finale! There's been a lot of stuff going on and I'm not sure how much they're actually going to resolve or you know...make us wait until the next season. ;) Should be a fun ride!