Aladdin (2019)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Aladdin (2019)

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not a huge Aladdin fan, so I'm not sure if I'll go see it in theatres or not. Probably only if a friend really wants to go. I like a few of the songs from the animated version but that won't be enough to get me in a theatre to see the movie.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

So, did anyone end up seeing this?

My review:
I think I like this new one better than the original 1992 Aladdin! (This may have something to do with the fact that I never liked the original in the first place. :anxious: )

-I thought Will Smith did an excellent job playing the genie. However, the fact is that no one can replace Robin Williams who played the genie in the original film.

-I was disappointed that Jafar and the parrot and Jasmine's father didn't interact with each other like they did in the original movie. (But then again, it probably would have been a bit unrealistic for a live-action movie to show Jafar beating up his parrot, and the king shoving crackers down its throat. :D )

-The new movie added several things which weren't in the 1992 Aladdin. Specifically an entirely new character, named Daliah, who is Jasmine's best friend. The addition of Daliah to the film actually made sense.

-There were several scenes added here that weren't in the original movie. The best scene was the one where Aladdin presents gifts to Jasmine.

Anyway, in my opinion, this is the best live-action remake. I liked it and watched it four times within six months in 2019. :anxious:
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Polehaus53 wrote:So, did anyone end up seeing this?

My review:
I think I like this new one better than the original 1992 Aladdin! (This may have something to do with the fact that I never liked the original in the first place. :anxious: )

-I thought Will Smith did an excellent job playing the genie. However, the fact is that no one can replace Robin Williams who played the genie in the original film.

-I was disappointed that Jafar and the parrot and Jasmine's father didn't interact with each other like they did in the original movie. (But then again, it probably would have been a bit unrealistic for a live-action movie to show Jafar beating up his parrot, and the king shoving crackers down its throat. :D )

-The new movie added several things which weren't in the 1992 Aladdin. Specifically an entirely new character, named Daliah, who is Jasmine's best friend. The addition of Daliah to the film actually made sense.

-There were several scenes added here that weren't in the original movie. The best scene was the one where Aladdin presents gifts to Jasmine.

Anyway, in my opinion, this is the best live-action remake. I liked it and watched it four times within six months in 2019. :anxious:
I saw it! My sister insisted that I watch it, despite the fact I have yet to see the original. :anxious: As someone without bias one way or the other, I can say it was fun. The acting was a bit lacking sometimes (Jafar especially woof). And I think there were some places where the story could have been stronger. For example, I would have much preferred if Aladdin voluntarily revealed his true identity rather than it be forced by outside forces. It would have been more compelling from a story standpoint and I thought the movie was building to such a moment. I loved the Genie and Aladdin's friendship and was probably the highlight of the film for me. Also, the songs were extremely catchy.

Interesting differences you noticed there, Polehaus53! Perhaps I'll see the original sometime.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

My best friend and I decided a super long time ago to watch this movie together, and it just hasn't happened yet. I almost watched it once but then felt guilty because I had told my friend we would watch it together. This thread is my reminder to either make plans to see it with her (which is tough these days with schedules and distancing and stuff) or at least find out if she watched it without me so I can watch it without her! :lol: