Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Jesus Christ Superstar Live In Concert

Post by bookworm »

NBC is airing a live performance of Jesus Christ Superstar on Easter Sunday.

I put this in its own thread because it doesn't really fit with their series of musicals, it seems like a sort of mix between one of those and what Fox did for Easter two years ago.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Has anyone seen this version? My understanding is that Jesus Christ Superstar ends without a resurrection,which makes it rather ironic to air it on Easter Sunday, but maybe that isn't correct?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have never actually seen this musical, but I'm somewhat familiar with it. You're correct that it ends with the crucifixion, so that is odd and I hadn't thought of that. But then, the purpose of the show isn't to give an accurate or complete retelling of the Biblical narrative (it's full of intentional anachronisms) its focus is on interplay between the characters leading up to Jesus' death. Including the resurrection would sort of undercut the intent I think. But with that in mind it would have been more appropriate to do this a little earlier, maybe on Palm Sunday like Fox did. Even though their show did include the resurrection.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I've only seen the entire musical once before, I mostly just like certain songs. Saw part of this and they did a pretty good job with what I saw.
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

It's more like ALW's version of Jesus death, so he did what he wanted to do. You can obviously see the atheistic leaning as you never see any miracles, really... My family watched most of it and it was my first time seeing the musical, though my brother was obsessed with the songs at one point in time. I thought it was interesting... The grunge look seemed to really fit the story for some reason. It's a very random musical from what I saw, but maybe it's because every one knows the story so this is just a collection of musical monologues. One interesting part, was that Jesus hugged Judas after he was betrayed. It was something to think about... Especially since at that time none of the disciples were with Jesus, so it was kind of Jesus' last moment of physical affection-and it was to the betrayer.

If you haven't seen this at all, you need to at least see the ending scene of Jesus' crucifixion. It was one of the most incredible scenes I've ever seen before...its just. Go watch it.

https://youtu.be/iEUlqjM96_Y
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This was great! I loved it! I'd been wanting to get around to seeing this show, I'm glad I finally got an opportunity and it was a production that was so well done.

I actually was really unsure how much I would like it because I knew this is a very particularly stylized show that has things that will either work for you or just seem completely bizarre and if you don't get the, I don't know if you'd really call it symbolism, but the idea behind why something was depicted the way it was you have to be able to just roll with it and not get hung up on it. I was very pleased to find that nearly everything really worked for me, and in the few parts that didn't I was still able to get what they were trying to do with it so even though they didn't completely land with me personally I appreciated them in that regard.

For particular highlights, I'd have to say any scenes with the priests. Their songs were the catchiest, they were good singers, their costumes were awesome, and the feeling their presence gave was perfect. I felt like I could almost tangibly sense conniving, slimy vibes coming through the screen. Also, Judas was a great singer and really made you feel the various emotions he went through over his story. And the ending! Just wow. What a visual.

This production was extremely well done though extremely different from anything NBC, or really any of the networks had done before. This was really unique. NBC's previous shows have been stage versions of musicals, but not necessarily put on as a traditional stage show like it would have been all on one stage, there were sets. Stage type sets, if you know what I mean, but it was across multiple locations, it wasn't something you would sit down and watch in person, it was very much produced for tv. When Fox did Grease it was on location and with an audience, but that was fully immersive it was absolutely not a stage show. NBC followed this format with their next show, Hairspray. Then Fox did The Passion which was sort of the closest so far to this, but still substantially different because that wasn't actually a show, it was pretty much just a concert. Live audience before singers on a stage, but they were just standing there singing. This was a legitimate live stage production. The tv saw what the live audience saw, well a little more because of camera angles and access, but the point is everything was right there. One set space on the stage, a genuine musical show you would go see in person.

The show itself was unlike anything from before also. It's entirely sung. I actually didn't realize this while watching, only reflecting back after it ended. There is no dialogue, it's a constant string of one song after another. You get a clear narrative from it though and the repeating lyrical themes connect points and ideas really effectively.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm not sure how the stage show has been all along, like maybe it has evolved over the years, but this had a much different look and feel than the movie version did from way back in the day. In a good way.

I haven't checked, but hopefully its on Hulu. I think these things usually are. I'd like to watch it beginning to end because like I said I was kind of in and out and didn't see all of it, totally missed the ending.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

-- 06 Apr 2018 01:12 pm --

This is definitely very different than the movie. First that was on location, it wasn't just filming the stage production. But as you say the whole feel is different, and I agree it's different in a good way here. I want to see the movie eventually to compare, but I'm quite sure I won't like it nearly as much as I liked this version.

The whole show can be watched for free right now on the NBC website but likely just for a limited time.

-- 11 Apr 2020 02:27 pm --

They are reairing this tomorrow; I recommend it if you hadn't seen it the first time it was on. Or even if you had; I saw it the first time and will be watching again!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was actually going to dig this thread up, so thanks bookworm for bumping it for your own post so I didn't even have to find it myself! :D

I taped the live show two years ago but never got around to watching it. I decided to watch it this Good Friday. For some reason I thought it was from last year, but then looking at the date I recorded it, realized it had been two years. I was familiar with a few of the songs but had never seen the entire production. While it is missing some things from a biblical perspective (and yes, I realize that the goal of the production is not biblical accuracy) ;) it was a great musical and theatrical experience. There were a lot of catchy songs and meaningful moments. It was definitely worth watching, though it isn't something I would watch repeatedly. The ending in particular was beautiful.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Enjoyed it just as much this time as the first time it was on! I really like this show.

I had hoped they had attempted to tweak the audio in the time between the original airing and the rebroadcast though, because I remembered that unfortunately the sound levels were somewhat off at parts making the vocals too quiet. They did not; what aired here was exactly what was shown before.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, I resorted to looking up lyrics on my phone as I was watching to make up for lyrics that were hard to hear or indistinct for someone unfamiliar with most of the songs.