Exactly why we need to have a controversial media area

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote:
Sonuna wrote:I've heard a lot of good things about it, but have never actually watched past the first few episodes. Something about it didn't grab me, apparently.
Part of this is probably just being over-hyped, though... This thread might make me give it another shot.
You should at least give it another shot. Season (or book) 2 is when it really starts to pick up speed, IMO.

Also, am I the only one who likes the cabbage vendor running gag?

-Kim
I liked the cabbage vendor joke. It was rather funny. \:D/
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

NateMaxwell wrote:Avatar am AWESSOME! \:D/ The Blood Bender Halloween speacial freaked me out! :shock:
That was one of my favorite episodes in the whole series ( :evilgrin:), partially because it was INSANELY original. I'd never seen anything like it in my life!

In any case, Avatar: The Last Airbender = by far and away one of the best, most original, most well-animated and best written shows I've ever seen on TV. The world created there was both fantastic and brutal, breaking barriers in childrens shows by exploring what life in war is really like, especially a war that has lasted that long (over 100 years, when all was said and done). The Asian and Inuit cultural and spiritual influences shone. This was a show that really took it's audience seriously and never once underestimated the audience's intelligence, two very crucial rules that are broken so often in TV shows today. Watching this program was like sitting down are reading a really good book, chapter by chapter. (Ironic, really.)

Seriously people, I cannot recommend this show enough. GO. WATCH.

Oh yes, and I am a kataanger but my sister is a zutarian. Go fig. :lol:
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Actually many people say that it is a copy of Naruto.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

I wouldn't know, I've never watched Naruto. :p Regardless, from what I've seen of Naruto I thing Avatar is better for morals, storyline and animation-wise.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Haystack, haystack, haystack...tsk tsk tsk...

View my avatar and weep.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I have grown to deeply love this show over the past few years and I was wondering if anyone else on the board watches! It just came back to Netflix yesterday, so if you find yourself with some extra time on your hands, I highly recommend it! \:D/ You might find the first 2-3 episodes a little bit of a slog, but don't give up! The rest of the series is really, really good.
Last edited by Petrichor on Sun May 17, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I love the show!! I love the contrasting characters and character development/story throughout. I also, really enjoy the animation and art style. They did really well with the action sequences, which only got better as the show went on (and got even better in The Legend of Korra.. even though, I wasn't crazy about the Korra series.)

I just really love and appreciate shows that have a solid beginning, middle, and end, and don't make me feel like the writers started making it up as they went along once they got halfway through. :boohoo: Anyway, I think I've seen it two or three times all the way through. \:D/

I will say though, there definitely could have been more story and character development and less, what I call, filler episodes. But, STILL A GREAT SHOW.

ALSO, fun fact, Jessie Flower (voice of Toph) played a young Jana Whittaker in the episode "Silent Night." =O
And the guy who played the minor character, PJ Manning (in "Buddy Guard", "A Time for Action" (part 2), "And That's the Truth"), played several characters throughout the show. :lol: Most notably, "Actor Sokka" in the episode "The Ember Island Players." xD
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Wow, I didn't know that Jessie Flower had played young Janna, but now that I think about it, I can definitely hear it! That's so cool! I knew that the Sokka voice from "The Ember Island Players" sounded like PJ, so I'm glad to have it confirmed. \:D/ Also, don't forget that Mae Whitman (Katara) voiced Winnie on The Last Chance Detectives audio dramas. :yes: Kind of AIO crossover, since I'm pretty sure Jason appeared in that series.

Netflix is supposedly making a live-action version of the show, which I... have very mixed feelings about. Obviously the M. Night Shyamalan movie was absolutely awful (or so I hear; I've never wanted to watch it because it's gotten such bad reviews :anxious:), but hopefully they can learn from the mistakes they made with that movie. I also think the original showrunners will be involved, which is another point in its favor. However, I think that there's a lot of stuff that is probably most effectively conveyed through animation. I can't really imagine how they can portray airbending in a way that looks better than in the animation, and to make firebending and waterbending look good in CGI is probably going to cost a fortune. We'll see what happens, but I don't honestly think they can top the original show.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Dude I've literally been re-watching this show over the past week! You all summed it up pretty well, its an absolutely phenomenal show. The soundtrack is stellar as well!
*Finger guns aggressively*
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

MonkeyDude wrote:Dude I've literally been re-watching this show over the past week! You all summed it up pretty well, its an absolutely phenomenal show. The soundtrack is stellar as well!
Oh my goodness, yes! I love the music! Especially the track for
the last Agni Kai. This scene is one of my favorites from the entire show, and the music is so powerful.
So does anyone have a favorite character from the show? I love almost all of them (except Jet, 'cuz he's kinda weird :anxious:), but Uncle Iroh has really grown on me over the years. Speaking of music, this song makes me cry when I listen to it. :(
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Petrichor wrote:Also, don't forget that Mae Whitman (Katara) voiced Winnie on The Last Chance Detectives audio dramas. :yes: Kind of AIO crossover, since I'm pretty sure Jason appeared in that series.
=O WHAT. I totally never knew that! Wow =o I haven't heard Last Chance Detectives since it was first airing on the radio, so it's been YEARS. Now I wanna listen to it again. \:D/
Petrichor wrote:Netflix is supposedly making a live-action version of the show, which I... have very mixed feelings about.
YEAH, I heard about that! I'm not expecting it to compare at all to the show. Somehow, someway, these types of adaptions always find a way to ruin it for me. =| Plus, I already have my own idea as to how they could portray the characters in real life (and the overall show) and I just don't see them making MY DREAMS COME TRUE. Also, Netflix has a knack for ruining shows by throwing in their political agendas for no reason whatsoever other than pushing their liberal views. It's one thing if it's part of the story, but when it's just thrown in there.. it really takes me out of the story. :|

I'm curious to see how they will pull off the bending as well, because obviously that is a huge part of the show. and the action sequences featuring it are the most fun to watch. All in all, I have very low expectations, but I'm still gonna watch it when it comes out. If only to criticize it. \:D/
Petrichor wrote:Obviously the M. Night Shyamalan movie was absolutely awful (or so I hear; I've never wanted to watch it because it's gotten such bad reviews :anxious:)
IT WAS TERRIBLE. I watched it with my sister and it was so bad, it was laughable. The casting was awful, and the bending was... equally as bad. I'm not sure they even really tried. The "fight scenes" were a joke. :lol: Especially if you pay attention to the background...like were they even fighting? :lol: All I can say is, they have A LOT to live up to with the Netflix show considering the movie was so bad.
MonkeyDude wrote:The soundtrack is stellar as well!
YESSS, the soundtrack is sooo good. That was another thing they lacked with the movie.. :doubt: Hopefully, with the Netflix show they will feature the show's amazing soundtrack. Fans will love it.
Petrichor wrote:So does anyone have a favorite character from the show? I love almost all of them (except Jet, 'cuz he's kinda weird :anxious:), but Uncle Iroh has really grown on me over the years.
I actually liked the character of Jet. But it was more of a love/hate deal. Hah.

But anyway, I love Aang, Sokka, and Toph. And I really love Zuko's development throughout the show, it makes me really enjoy his character. I also love Uncle Iroh! :lol: He is definitely one of the best characters. He is my brother's favorite, along with Zuko. I also really appreciate the character of Azula. She's a character you love to hate, and I think they did a really good job with making her feel real. I liked that she had blue fire too, that added a more unique element to the show.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Petrichor wrote:
MonkeyDude wrote:Dude I've literally been re-watching this show over the past week! You all summed it up pretty well, its an absolutely phenomenal show. The soundtrack is stellar as well!
Oh my goodness, yes! I love the music! Especially the track for
the last Agni Kai. This scene is one of my favorites from the entire show, and the music is so powerful.
Oh that one is so great! I totally agree! This track is probably my favorite (though all of them are so good):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ftScS4fLbQ
The end gets me in the feels every time man
snubs wrote:YESSS, the soundtrack is sooo good. That was another thing they lacked with the movie.. :doubt: Hopefully, with the Netflix show they will feature the show's amazing soundtrack. Fans will love it.
Yeah! They actually got the original composer, Jeremy Zuckerman, back for the Netflix series!
snubs wrote:
Petrichor wrote:Also, don't forget that Mae Whitman (Katara) voiced Winnie on The Last Chance Detectives audio dramas. :yes: Kind of AIO crossover, since I'm pretty sure Jason appeared in that series.
=O WHAT. I totally never knew that! Wow =o I haven't heard Last Chance Detectives since it was first airing on the radio, so it's been YEARS. Now I wanna listen to it again. \:D/
Yo I had no clue about that either! That's super cool! I remember those being really good so I might have to revisit them sometime.
snubs wrote:
Petrichor wrote:So does anyone have a favorite character from the show? I love almost all of them (except Jet, 'cuz he's kinda weird :anxious:), but Uncle Iroh has really grown on me over the years.
I actually liked the character of Jet. But it was more of a love/hate deal. Hah.

But anyway, I love Aang, Sokka, and Toph. And I really love Zuko's development throughout the show, it makes me really enjoy his character. I also love Uncle Iroh! :lol: He is definitely one of the best characters. He is my brother's favorite, along with Zuko. I also really appreciate the character of Azula. She's a character you love to hate, and I think they did a really good job with making her feel real. I liked that she had blue fire too, that added a more unique element to the show.

Uncle Iroh is a national treasure, man. One of the things that really stands out to me about Avatar is that there really isn't a character I don't enjoy. The whole Gaang is really well balanced and the characters bring out the best in each other. Even the antagonists (with the exception of maybe Ozai) are handled to near perfection. Katara and Sokka have both considerable grown on me over the years, as well as Suki. Toph will forever by a classic and Aang is just very Aang in the absolute best possible way. That being said, there is a very special place in my heart reserved for Appa and Appa alone.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

snubs wrote:
Petrichor wrote:Netflix is supposedly making a live-action version of the show, which I... have very mixed feelings about.
YEAH, I heard about that! I'm not expecting it to compare at all to the show. Somehow, someway, these types of adaptions always find a way to ruin it for me. =| Plus, I already have my own idea as to how they could portray the characters in real life (and the overall show) and I just don't see them making MY DREAMS COME TRUE. Also, Netflix has a knack for ruining shows by throwing in their political agendas for no reason whatsoever other than pushing their liberal views. It's one thing if it's part of the story, but when it's just thrown in there.. it really takes me out of the story. :|
I mean, the thing is, there's not really anything else I want to see them do with the show. They could flesh out characters and backstories a bit more, I suppose, but the original show is pretty complete as it stands. My plan is to keep my expectations really low, and then I'll be pleasantly surprised no matter what happens. \:D/
snubs wrote:I actually liked the character of Jet. But it was more of a love/hate deal. Hah.

It's not even that I dislike Jet; I think he does what the writers created him to do--he's a foil for the other characters. So yeah, kind of a love-to-hate situation.

I really like Azula a lot. She's a very complex villain. As Uncle Iroh says, "she's crazy and she needs to go down," but you can also see how much having Ozai for her dad messed her up.
MonkeyDude wrote:Uncle Iroh is a national treasure, man. One of the things that really stands out to me about Avatar is that there really isn't a character I don't enjoy. The whole Gaang is really well balanced and the characters bring out the best in each other. Even the antagonists (with the exception of maybe Ozai) are handled to near perfection. Katara and Sokka have both considerable grown on me over the years, as well as Suki. Toph will forever by a classic and Aang is just very Aang in the absolute best possible way. That being said, there is a very special place in my heart reserved for Appa and Appa alone.
So true! Out of all of the Gaang, Katara is probably my least favorite, but I don't dislike her; I just really, really like Sokka and Toph. And I love Appa and Momo. :inlove:
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Y'ALL. Y'ALL. Y'ALL.

APPA ATE MOMO
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

sokka get out of the bison's mouth
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Let's not forget that Azula gave herself the original quarantine bangs. Trying to use this as a teaching moment to not give myself an impulse haircut. :-

Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Aslan wrote:M. Night Shyamalan is going to be making Avatar: The Last Airbender into a movie :D Just letting you know.
Seeing this comment made me feel a little sad for what could have been... :( Let's see if the new Netflix show can redeem the idea of live-action Avatar.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:
Aslan wrote:M. Night Shyamalan is going to be making Avatar: The Last Airbender into a movie :D Just letting you know.
Seeing this comment made me feel a little sad for what could have been... :( Let's see if the new Netflix show can redeem the idea of live-action Avatar.
I KNOW. :( There was so much that "could have been." I'm looking forward to seeing the Netflix adaption, however, I'm fully prepared to be let down. I'm hoping they at least get some good casting. :boohoo: WE SHALL SEE.

I just recently finished watching the show again. Still love it. I think my least favorite episode though was "The Ember Island Players." I get that it was probably just a fun way to poke at the show.. but if there ever was a filler episode, that's it. I'm not a fan of "recap" episodes or episodes made strictly of flashbacks from previous episodes. They did that in The Legend of Korra with the episode "Remembrances." which was even worse than "The Ember Island Players." :boohoo: To me, it is just a waste of airtime. If a viewer has been following the whole show, they won't need a recap of what's happened. And if you haven't been following the show.. then you'll just have to go back and watch it. =P

In other news, which Avatar: The Last Airbender Nation Are You? (take the quiz!) \:D/

I got Earth Kingdom, and I'm totally happy with that! =D If I was a bender, it would be super cool to bend Earth. I love the power and strength behind it. I really love Air too though. I like the agility, balance and swift actions it brings. So Airbending would be doubly awesome!
Avatar: The Last Airbender Nation Are You? - Results wrote:
You are an inhabitant of the Earth Kingdom! The people of the Earth Kingdom pride themselves on being dependable, helpful, and hard-working. They have a strong sense of duty. They are givers and are concerned about the welfare of others, especially the young and the old. They strive to be responsible and trustworthy. They have a strong work ethic and respect the rules and hierarchies of society. They are often prosperous and have great respect for the institutions of society. Their strength is in their diversity, drawing such strength from their ability to obtain different perspectives on life. They ultimately seek stability and are always prepared for the worst. At their best they are accepting, adaptable, agreeable, balanced, belonging, concerned, concrete, considerate, consistent, dependable, dignified, diplomatic, easy-going, forbearing, friendly, mediators, peaceful, prepared, prosperous, steadfast, supportive, thorough, and tolerant. At their worst they can be aimless, ambivalent, boring, conforming, dispirited, doubtful, downcast, dull, fatalistic, indifferent, lazy, leery, masochistic, monotonous, passive, permissive, pessimistic, reluctant, self-deprecating, stubborn, sluggish, uninvolved, and unmotivated.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

I'm definently going to be rewatching this show now that it's on Netflix.
Resident JRPG nut
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

SO. I had never seen this before, but once I heard Dave Filoni was one of the directors I was totally sold.

I'm halfway through season 3, and this is hands down one of the best animated series I have ever watched \:D/ It's also one I haven't really seen any spoilers for; I ignored it on the olden days of Tumblr, and there wasn't as much immediately on the internet like things are now, so it's been super fun. The character development is amazing. I have laughed out loud, cried, and squeed more than once.
There also might've been a "DAAAANG UNCLE IROH WOOOOO!" during the episode where Uncle Iroh is working out and drops his robe to reveal his shredded self. I wish I felt embarrassed, but I don't. Gotta love a hunk who loves tea, amiright? :inlove:
I did begin to "watch" the film once I found out it was off of season 1, but then I ended up skipping through and just catching highlights at which I could snort. Snort, I did.
MonkeyDude wrote:That being said, there is a very special place in my heart reserved for Appa and Appa alone.
I had to verbally talk myself down from buying a giant Appa plushie :( I'm still slightly regretting it, but alas - I don't need it :mecry:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein