America's Got Talent (Season 16)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

America's Got Talent (Season 16)

Post by bookworm »

I still haven't managed to catch up on the last several seasons yet, but I'm planning to follow this one live. If anyone else is watching please post along with me, it would be nice to get back to sharing thoughts on stand out acts as the show goes along.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't usually watch this show but I keep seeing ads for it and it does look like fun. If I do end up watching, I'll come post about it!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's a good show. This is the only one of the many competition show series there are out there that I can get into, because while the others are all singers or all dancers or whatever else, this can be literally anything. You truly have no idea what you will see.

Now that NBC has their Peacock streaming service it's easy to still watch along if you don't catch the episodes the night they originally air by watching on demand. (You have to be signed in it seems, but this should be one of the shows available with the free account.)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I do like the idea of a variety show! You never know what you're going to get.

As a Canadian, I am discriminated against by the good folks at Peacock. I think I can access it through the website of the Canadian channel that airs it if I log in with my TV provider info to watch older episodes, or at least that works on some shows. Or I could set my PVR and just cancel if I don't want to keep recording.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Is this the show Keith Apicary was on? If so I've watched one segment worth this season! \:D/

I watched it some when it was new but kinda moved on except for the occasional segment that goes viral or whatever the kids say these days.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Ep1: Auditions

This is the first I've watched since Simon became one of the judges! Looking forward to finally seeing him here.

Canine Stars was fun, but "The best animal act I've ever seen on this show" really Howie? Do you not remember Olate Dogs?

I was very surprised when Howie voted no on Mr. Cherry. I agree with his vote, but I didn't expect it from him. That seemed like the kind of act he would get behind.

There was no way the covid nurses weren't going to be advanced with that backstory; fortunately they can actually sing so the support is genuinely for their talent not just the emotions. I do think Howie gave into the emotions in using the golden buzzer here though. If they didn't have the story they have, if they were just some random choir group, would he have used it on them?

I'm not sure how I feel about Keith Apicary's act. This is a character, his real name is Nathan Barnatt he's a known internet personality. I wasn't clear on if the audience and judges are supposed to be aware that the whole thing is a performance and are reacting in that context, or if they don't know it was just a persona and they thought it was an odd guy that dances oddly and were judging him like that.

I had a mixed reaction to Dustin Tavella's performance. It was a moving act, mission accomplished in the engagement factor. But depending on how the trick was done my opinion of it changes significantly. If he manipulated the judges to somehow select those things that were actually in the pictures it's great. A style of trick that's been done countless times, but putting this emotional spin on it for the story to actually mean something is really nice. But if they were free choices and the trick was manipulating the pictures to match whatever the judges said I think that's despicable and invalidates the heartwarming premise that's supposed to be behind the performance.

And we have our first 'one of those' performances of the season.

This is apparently an ongoing saga with the show recently; I don't know anything about it since I'm not up to date, but looking it up I see he already auditioned three times over two previous seasons before this episode.

I don't understand how he got advanced, and actually achieved the uncommon feat of getting a yes vote from a judge that buzzed the performance, and from two judges no less.

Return to “Harlequin Theatre”