Will Ryan has passed away.

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Will Ryan has passed away.

Post by The Top Crusader »

November 19, 2021

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO— Today we learned that our dear friend Will Ryan passed away after a short illness. Will acted on the Adventures in Odyssey audio program since 1987. He played more than 150 characters across more than 400 episodes but was most well-known as the lovable genius Eugene Meltsner. Will was 72 years old.

Full article:

https://www.adventuresinodyssey.com/far ... cr0AHX5Png
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I was just coming here to see if anyone posted about this news. I am crushed. I saw it on the CelebWorx Facebook page first and could not believe what I was reading, especially since I couldn't find any other posts from anyone else about it. But a few moments later they came flooding in one after the other, all saying the same thing.

I don't even know what to say or how to feel, other than I am devastated. Odyssey will never be the same without him. He will be remembered forever and missed dearly.

This is the announcement that was posted on the Tell Ya Later Facebook page.

Forever Eugene Meltsner. <3
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Just saw the news. I am sadder than I know how to say. Will Ryan will be incredibly missed.

Goodbye, Eugene. The best is yet to come.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

So very sorry to hear this very sad news. RIP Will and RIP Eugene. :pray:
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Rats. I was counting on Eugene being the center of reason and Christian growth in Odyssey.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I had the opportunity to meet him two or three times, and he always struck me as a genuinely happy and kind person who had fun with the fans. This is devastating news, he will be missed.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was so surprised and saddened to read of the passing of Will Ryan. He was wonderful as Eugene and I have a feeling it will be hard to listen to episodes with him for a while, just knowing that Will Ryan is gone. I had the pleasure of meeting him once and he was so friendly and funny. He will be greatly missed.
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

I was so shocked to hear about Will's passing. Such a devastating loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing him. Sending all the thoughts and prayers to his friends and loved ones! 🙏

Just a thought, but I would love it if we could put together a Eugene-centric listening party to honor his memory.
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Of all the things to make me post again...

I saw the news last night on Patreon, and it still hasn't sunk in completely. My heart is broken, but I know that the hearts of his family and friends must be shattered. I do find some comfort in knowing that his fight was a brief one, and that he's now home without sickness or pain. I fully believe that Will is "up there", having a good old jam session with Hal Smith like they used to.

Thanks for everything, Will. Say "hello" to Hal, Walker, Paul, Dave, Alan and Janet for us.
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I agree, Catspaw. I already heard a couple of scenes of his and it just made me cry.

ByeByeBrownie wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:04 pmJust a thought, but I would love it if we could put together a Eugene-centric listening party to honor his memory.
I was thinking this exact thought, Brownie. <3

Ingress Neverwhere wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:13 pm Of all the things to make me post again...

I saw the news last night on Patreon, and it still hasn't sunk in completely. My heart is broken, but I know that the hearts of his family and friends must be shattered. I do find some comfort in knowing that his fight was a brief one, and that he's now home without sickness or pain. I fully believe that Will is "up there", having a good old jam session with Hal Smith like they used to.

Thanks for everything, Will. Say "hello" to Hal, Walker, Paul, Dave, Alan and Janet for us.
Beautiful words. :hug:
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

ByeByeBrownie wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:04 pm
Just a thought, but I would love it if we could put together a Eugene-centric listening party to honor his memory.
I just saw the news as well, so sad. I am an old school odyssey listener.
Eugene was the intellectualheart of the show.
In regards to Eugene I would suggest
The Time has COME
The mortal COIL
Champ of the camp
Connie's graduation episode
And for Harlow and Eugene
Best laid plans.
Blessings,
Aaron
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Final message from Will Ryan:

https://fb.watch/9qqrjwKpTd/
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Top Crusader wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:47 pm Final message from Will Ryan:

I cried through this whole thing. But it was also very comforting to hear from Will. <3
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ingress Neverwhere wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:13 pm Of all the things to make me post again...

So sorry that this is the circumstance that brought you back to the ToO today. :(
I really like your picture of the old AIO gang hanging out and entertaining everyone around them. Thanks for sharing that lovely thought.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad Will Ryan was able to record this and that Katie Leigh was kind enough to record it for us. I definitely cried through the whole thing, but I'm thankful we got a chance to hear him say goodbye.
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

This is extremely saddening news. I'm still in shock, absolutely speechless. I never got to meet him, but I have heard positive things from those who have. His work on AIO and other projects are things which I've enjoyed seeing and will be remembered by generations to come. Adventures in Odyssey won't be the same without him.

Is is nice that he was able to record a farewell message.
Will Ryan will definitely be missed. :( :mecry:
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I haven't listened to an AIO episode in probably ten years, but these two Eugene memories popped into my head instantly when I saw this thread. (Perhaps someone can name these episodes so I can try to find them?)

- The Novacom episode during the period where Eugene had disappeared, and the producers pieced together a voicemail message using Will Ryan's previous recordings (because he wasn't on contract at the time, if I'm recalling correctly?). I remember that being one of my favourite episodes.

- An older (I think) Christmas episode where Eugene can't find his keys, even though he had some nifty device that involved whistling to locate them. I think that episode was on the first cassette tape I ever had, and I wore it out.

I would especially love to find that Christmas one again, that would doubtless hold some deep nostalgia! <3
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

@jelly, the episodes you seek are Exit and Peace on Earth.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Wod Fam Choc Sod
Not as new

Post by Wod Fam Choc Sod »

Oh my word. Will Ryan died??!!! That's... that's absolutely horrible!!! I don't even know what to say... But he's left quite a legacy and will never be forgotten. 😥🙏😇

Does this mean no more Eugene? I doubt that they'll ever find the right voice... 😥
Read Odyssey's latest epic: The Checkmate Saga!!!
https://juliettederouledewrites.blogspo ... kmate.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Connie: (whispering) Oh, she looks beautiful, doesn't she?
Jason: (also whispering) Beautiful.
Connie: (tearfully) Everyone looks beautiful!
Jason: Yes, Connie, they're all beautiful.
Connie: Your dad. Oh... he looks great in that tuxedo. He's... oh... he's...
Jason: Beautiful.
Connie: (still fighting tears) Yeah. And Katrina in that dress...
Jason: She got her stitches out just in time.
Connie: (quavering) I think I'm gonna cry.
Jason: Here's my hankie.
Connie: *sniffs* Thank you.
Jason: I knew all along, by the way.
Connie: Well, good for you. Can I cry now, or are you gonna keep talking?
Jason: Have a good cry.
Connie: (sobbing) Thank you. *dramatic sobs* *blows nose*
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Wod Fam Choc Sod wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:07 am
Does this mean no more Eugene? I doubt that they'll ever find the right voice... 😥
At this time, we don't know. All we do know is that the Odyssey team is still discussing it, and that Will did record several episodes that will be released this year. According to a pair of "behind the scenes" episodes of Tell Ya Later!, Will and Katie's last Odyssey recording session together was near the end of July of 2021.
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!