Chronological Listen-Through

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Chronological Listen-Through

Post by Monica Stone »

I've been a fan of Odyssey for as long as I can remember. I have collected a multitude of albums over the years and borrowed albums from my local library. Only in 2019 did I get the club but I absolutely love it. I will admit, I have not heard every episode and some episodes I haven't heard in years. But I am really interested in doing a chronological listen-through of the show to fill in the gaps and to once and for all listen to episodes in the way they were released.

I have chosen a weird time of the year to start a listen-through, because I started school recently (I'm a full-time student ;)). The summer would have probably been the ideal time to start listening through the show chronologically because I had a ton of free time on my hands. But it is what it is. Fortunately, my entire days are not spent studying, so I have time to at the very least listen to an episode a day. I was wondering if anyone would like to join me as I listen chronologically! I may post brief thoughts on an episode here and there and update where I am as I progress. Regardless if whether or not anybody is interested in at least casually joining, I think it would be fun for at least me personally.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

There are people *cough*Jonathan*cough* who definitely have done this in the past. I always think it sounds like a great idea but haven't ever actually done it. ;) I hope you enjoy your listen-through!
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

I did this over the whole stuck-at-home phase earlier this year. I highly recommend it! It does take some perseverance though, especially when forcing yourself to listen to an episode you hate.
Not sure if this will help at all, but I printed off a list of every episode released with episode numbers and everything, and checked them off as I finished them so I didn't confuse myself too much.
Good luck! Hope you have fun :)
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

It's crazy you brought this up because this has been something I started doing semi-recently! I'm not super far along, only like album 6 I think, but I am really enjoying it! It's giving me a much great appreciation for Hal Smith. Personally, Paul will probably always be the Mr. Whittaker in my heart but I'm really loving Hal more and more.

This is a kinda odd question but I'm honestly just curious Parakeet, did your listen-through result in any remarkable wisdom or a new appreciation for anything?
*Finger guns aggressively*
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Parakeet wrote:I did this over the whole stuck-at-home phase earlier this year. I highly recommend it! It does take some perseverance though, especially when forcing yourself to listen to an episode you hate.
Not sure if this will help at all, but I printed off a list of every episode released with episode numbers and everything, and checked them off as I finished them so I didn't confuse myself too much.
Good luck! Hope you have fun :)
Haha, I'm sure I'm be drudging my way through certain episodes but it'll ultimately be worth it. Thanks for the tip about the checklist! I'll likely do the same as you.
MonkeyDude wrote:It's crazy you brought this up because this has been something I started doing semi-recently! I'm not super far along, only like album 6 I think, but I am really enjoying it! It's giving me a much great appreciation for Hal Smith. Personally, Paul will probably always be the Mr. Whittaker in my heart but I'm really loving Hal more and more.
Wow, great minds think alike! :lol: That's awesome! I adore Hal Smith. He may not be my *favorite* Whit, but I think he's the best one. He is so real and his voice has a color to it that brightens every episode he's in.

I am really interested in tracking character progressions and getting better understanding of the continuity of episodes. I'm interested in seeing Whit's inventing progression as he gets crazier with his inventions mwhahaha. But in general, I'm excited to do this! I may start this weekend because my earbuds broke tonight and I don't want to start the listen-through without them. :?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:There are people *cough*Jonathan*cough* who definitely have done this in the past.
And many times at that. I haven't in the last year and a half and was thinking of doing another one soon. The last time I did one it took me eight months. I recommend it, it's fun hearing the progression.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote:
Catspaw wrote:There are people *cough*Jonathan*cough* who definitely have done this in the past.
And many times at that. I haven't in the last year and a half and was thinking of doing another one soon. The last time I did one it took me eight months. I recommend it, it's fun hearing the progression.
Wow, I forgot that you had done it so often. I really should do this at some point. I love hearing that it took you eight months. There are so many episodes that it makes sense that it would take a while.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:Wow, great minds think alike! :lol: That's awesome! I adore Hal Smith. He may not be my *favorite* Whit, but I think he's the best one. He is so real and his voice has a color to it that brightens every episode he's in.

I am really interested in tracking character progressions and getting better understanding of the continuity of episodes. I'm interested in seeing Whit's inventing progression as he gets crazier with his inventions mwhahaha. But in general, I'm excited to do this! I may start this weekend because my earbuds broke tonight and I don't want to start the listen-through without them. :?
Haha, you know it! :lol: You're spot on about Hal, couldn't have put it better if I tried! I too am also super pumped to track character development since I haven't done a listen through since I was around 11 and couldn't have cared less about it.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I am probably going to start the listen-through tonight. Currently debating on whether to start on Family Portraits even though they're non-canonical. Might listen to them seperately.
Jonathan wrote: And many times at that. I haven't in the last year and a half and was thinking of doing another one soon. The last time I did one it took me eight months. I recommend it, it's fun hearing the progression.
Woah, that's impressive! I'm even more excited to start it now. \:D/
MonkeyDude wrote: I too am also super pumped to track character development since I haven't done a listen through since I was around 11 and couldn't have cared less about it.
11-year-old me liked the characters but didn't give any mind to character development Now I live and breathe for character development. :lol: I have heard most of the episodes and know how they fit together, but it'll be really cool to actually hear them all together! I'm so excited!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Monica Stone wrote:I am probably going to start the listen-through tonight. Currently debating on whether to start on Family Portraits even though they're non-canonical. Might listen to them seperately.
When I do my listen throughs I start with the three original Focus Dramas, then Family Portraits, and then Whit's Flop and onward. Yes, Family Portraits and especially the Focus Dramas aren't canon, but the way I see it they directly led to AIO so I include them. Helps that they're all quick listens.

edit--I've been inspired, started the next listen through yesterday.