Underrated Episodes

What are some amazing episodes you consider underrated?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Underrated Episodes

Post by Monica Stone »

Odyssey has some classic, great episodes that are generally loved by most fans. But with now 900 episodes (wow!), there are obviously going to be amazing episodes that will, unfortunately, be overlooked. What are some of your favorite underrated episodes?

I'll share my picks soon. ;)

This thread is inspired by Odyssey Geek! Go listen to the following podcast episode if you haven't already! https://anchor.fm/odysseygeek/episodes/ ... des-ecjucv
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

The Other Woman and A Penny Saved are a couple I can think of off the top of my head.
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, this is a really interesting topic! I am intrigued by the concept of something being underrated, because it's based on a comparison. I've thought about it in conjunction with hockey polls, where people were asked about a player they consider underrated, with the idea that some people might actually be underrated by some, but once a guy has won awards and has a big contract, can he really be considered underrated?

That's the long way to say that I'm not sure which episodes to say, because I know what I like, but I know that some of my favourites are also loved by others. I'm trying to think of an episode that I really like that I think lots of other people might not care for and I'm not sure. I'm going to give this more thought, and in the meantime, I'm curious to see what other people list!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I have many episodes in my mind, but I will present three (technically five) for your consideration. I'm not pitting them against each other or anything, I just want to bring them more recognition for their own merits. So here are some episodes I find sorely underappreciated by fans:

-An Adventure in Bethany, Parts 1-2: I know this one was mentioned on the Odyssey Geek podcast about underrated episodes, but wow, I haven't heard anyone talk about it until Austin & Lee discussed it (which prompted me to revisited it). This episode is amazing and I'm ashamed I forgot about it for so long. This is one of the best Imagination Station episodes hands down, especially part 2. The moment Lucy brought up how she hadn't been attending church as frequently, I waited for a hamfisted moral shoved into the story. When I realized the adventure was going to be about Martha & Mary, my reaction was, "Here we go..." But it quickly moves past that and focuses on the Biblical adventure. I'll admit, I shed some tears, especially when Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead. It was indescribable and felt transcendent for me...like I was actually there. I get goosebumps just thinking about it! This is a magnificent episode that I want to re-listen to already. People need to start talking about this episode more!

- Square One: Listen, hear me out. I will defend album 51 as being over-hated, but I can admit it wasn't up to standard at all. Listeners were thrust with lots of characters and weren't exactly sure how to feel. Album 52 is where things started to settle into place. This is the first Emily & Matthew episode where I thought, "Woah, I can really see these guys sticking around for awhile," which was NOT something I was thinking after album 51. This episode does a great job of showing an uncomfortably realistic scenario and does so in a way that works so well in investing getting the audience to invest in the characters. Where do I start? This episode addresses the underlying issues with Emily and Matthew's friendship in an apt way that works extremely well. You're on Matthew's side the whole time because you relate to his frustration with Emily and you know his motives to rejoin the Square One Club are pure; it's only a matter of proving it. Although Emily acts annoyingly throughout the episode, by the end, you sympathize with her insecurities that she has hidden by being controlling. I'm trying not to make this an Emily analysis, I swear, it just comes out of me. And a huge kudos to the theme! The way this episode tackles the issue of trust is great. Need I say more?

- Nightmares by Constance, Parts 1-2: I've seen this one get slammed because fans aren't exactly enthralled with Jillian. I definitely think this is her high point, where she does her best at balancing her eccentricity and her underplayed quick thinking. The dialogue throughout the episode is witty, fun, and quotable which is always my favorite. \:D/ The story manages to get you to care about all of these new characters in only two episodes and keeps ya guessing. Both the script & the plot were great. Even if I do not ship Jillian and Jason, hearing them interact in these episodes was really fun and they have great chemistry. It's just a delight.

What do you think of my picks? And what are some episodes that you think deserve more credit than they recieve?
raspberryripple
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by raspberryripple »

Monica Stone wrote:
I'm trying not to make this an Emily analysis, I swear, it just comes out of me.
This so put me in mind of Olivia from The New Olivia (Club Season 5) when her mom asks about the fake accents and she says, ”I can’t help it, Mom. It just comes out of me.” Which is an underrated episode itself, I think. Olivia was really funny in this.

I also really liked Nightmares by Constance, and My Fair Bernard (but I might be a little biased because I just love Bernard). He has some of the best lines.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

raspberryripple wrote:
Monica Stone wrote:
I'm trying not to make this an Emily analysis, I swear, it just comes out of me.
This so put me in mind of Olivia from The New Olivia (Club Season 5) when her mom asks about the fake accents and she says, ”I can’t help it, Mom. It just comes out of me.” Which is an underrated episode itself, I think. Olivia was really funny in this.
Haha, I forgot about that episode! I remember thinking it was pretty funny. But, as a general Odyssey thing, Olivia's personality flip-flopping from being a mature teen (?) to a petty kid bothers me. That's probably why I didn't pay much attention to this episode. Now, I'm probably going to re-listen to it soon. :lol:
raspberryripple wrote:I also really liked Nightmares by Constance, and My Fair Bernard (but I might be a little biased because I just love Bernard). He has some of the best lines.
Both great episodes. Bernard is a gem, forever and always. One of my all-time favorite Bernard episode is Mum's the Word. He's hysterical!
Last edited by Monica Stone on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

raspberryripple wrote: I also really liked Nightmares by Constance, and My Fair Bernard (but I might be a little biased because I just love Bernard). He has some of the best lines.
Same here! :highfive: I really enjoyed "Nightmares by Constance." Definitely a nice humour/storyline balance. I absolutely adore "My Fair Bernard" and consider it one of my favourites! I've listened to it many times and it's hilarious every single time. Bernard is awesome.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I don't know why I didn't think of this when I made my Top 10 list. The Lone Lawman is severely underrated. I hardly hear anyone talk about it. It's one of the funniest AIO episodes, it allows the actors to do a lot of different voices, and it has so many callbacks to the Golden Age of Radio.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Most of the Truth Chronicles episodes. I especially like In My Image.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

War of the Words. Connie and Eugene's bickering is hilarious here, especially the part where they're sarcastically using words like "companion" and "dearest friend". And I still use the word Millajoint today when someone's getting on my nerves.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

I think Mistaken for Good is probably pretty underrated. It shows some rare maturity for Jay, who is hilarious as always.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugene's Computer
Lurker
Post by Eugene's Computer »

- Truth About Zachary

- The Painting

- Snow Day

-Do or Diet

- Home is Where the Hurt is
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hey Eugene's Computer, that's a good list! I like all of those episodes.