The Retirement of the Parker Family

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

The Retirement of the Parker Family

Post by Monica Stone »

Families on Odyssey always fade away sooner or later. The Barclays, the Mulligans, and the Washingtons first come to mind. The Parkers have been an extremely prominent part of Odyssey since 2010. They were greeted by fans with mixed feelings. After a while, fans either grew to love them or became tired of them. I don't think most fans really thought they were going to leave, at least not for a long time. And yes, the Parkers have been on the show for ten years now.

The Parkers began fading in 2019. All of the characters, whether together or not, began appearing in fewer episodes. Even when they did appear, they seemed to be there to support other, newly introduced characters (e.g. the Perkins family, Joseph Calhoun, etc). Then, Matthew left the Jones and Parker Detective Agency to pursue other interests. After "Further from the Truth" somewhat resolved Emily and Matthew's conflict, Dave Arnold said that the show is moving onto new characters to keep things fresh.

What do you think about this?
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

10 years is a good long time with these characters! That's roughly about how long we got with other families- longer than many of them. I think it's smart to continually change the show's characters, especially with a 30-year precedent for doing so. Now, I think it's best when characters are given a proper send-off, but I also understand phasing them out.
he/him | a little stinker.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Steve wrote:10 years is a good long time with these characters! That's roughly about how long we got with other families- longer than many of them. I think it's smart to continually change the show's characters, especially with a 30-year precedent for doing so. Now, I think it's best when characters are given a proper send-off, but I also understand phasing them out.
I am in agreement. I have enjoyed the Parkers, but I am excited about the new characters who have come to the show.
I do hope that Matthew will appear once more in album 69 so he can see the conclusion (?) of the Rydell mystery that he has been deeply involved in.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, I didn't realize that it has been so long! I still think of the Parkers as new characters, which they are compared to the original characters obviously ;) but I guess after a decade they don't really count as new. ;) Interesting. I can see why they like to keep things fresh and moving by introducing new families. Honestly, I'm not attached enough to the Parkers to be too concerned about them being phased out. I didn't mind their episodes overall, but I didn't love them either. That might say more about me than them. I'm not criticizing, just saying news of them being phased out doesn't really matter to me that much.
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

Oh man... I didn't think about that either. It doesn't seem like it's been ten years already, but at the same time I totally can see that. Huh. Weird. ](*,)

I noticed that they replaced Marc Evan Jackson with a new actor for David Parker, which is kinda too bad as I'm a fan of Marc. But I understand the realities of production means that we can't always have the same actors all the time. BUT that means the only Parker that hasn't changed actors is Eva! Which is interesting. :-k Or not. Just something I thought I'd mention.

I've enjoyed our time with the Parkers for sure. I was hoping for a little more Grandma Lucia, so I hope that they can include her at least one more time! :pray:

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:
I do hope that Matthew will appear once more in album 69 so he can see the conclusion (?) of the Rydell mystery that he has been deeply involved in.
Strongly, strongly agree.
Eugenepaw wrote:I noticed that they replaced Marc Evan Jackson with a new actor for David Parker, which is kinda too bad as I'm a fan of Marc. But I understand the realities of production means that we can't always have the same actors all the time. BUT that means the only Parker that hasn't changed actors is Eva! Which is interesting. :-k Or not. Just something I thought I'd mention.

I've enjoyed our time with the Parkers for sure. I was hoping for a little more Grandma Lucia, so I hope that they can include her at least one more time! :pray:
Yeah Marc did a really good job. He made some of the duller Parker family episodes a lot more vibrant. Grandma Lucia is great too. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it revealed in the Club exclusive 'In a Sun Scorched Land' that she was battling cancer?
*Finger guns aggressively*
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Eugenepaw wrote:I noticed that they replaced Marc Evan Jackson with a new actor for David Parker, which is kinda too bad as I'm a fan of Marc. But I understand the realities of production means that we can't always have the same actors all the time. BUT that means the only Parker that hasn't changed actors is Eva! Which is interesting. :-k Or not. Just something I thought I'd mention.

I liked Marc Evan Jackson as David Parker, too. He did such a great job. I think the aio team realized they couldn't replace actors over and over again, so that was possibly one of the reasons factoring into their departure.

I could definitely see Grandma Lucia sticking around at least for a few more appearances. I really enjoy her :)
MonkeyDude wrote: Grandma Lucia is great too. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it revealed in the Club exclusive 'In a Sun Scorched Land' that she was battling cancer?
Yes, Matthew mentioned that she had cancer, but it was implied that she was going to be okay.
And yeah, I am going to be disappointed if Matthew isn't in album 69. It would kinda feel wrong to have such a significant turning point/conclusion in the Rydell Saga without him.
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

I have had very mixed feelings about the Parker family over the years. When they first made the scene, I actually found them to be quite cringy. At the very beginning, it felt to me almost like they were just introducing a Hispanic (albeit only partially) family simply to meet a diversity quota, and not doing a very good job of it at that. I actually found some of the earlier Parker episodes (e.g. Grandma's Visit) to be quite caricaturistic and demeaning of Hispanic culture. As the family evolved throughout the show, however, their racial identity seemed to become much more natural and less contrived.
Monica Stone wrote:

I liked Marc Evan Jackson as David Parker, too. He did such a great job. I think the aio team realized they couldn't replace actors over and over again, so that was pawsibly one of the reasons factoring into their departure.
Y'all touched on this already, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. But it really is a pity that there's been so much swapping in and out of the voice actors. That may very well be my single biggest problem with the Parker family. But I definitely understand it, as well.

Now that the Parker era is coming to a close, I'm really actually a bit sad to see them go, as I feel that so much more could have been done with them. I would love to have Matthew back for at least a few more episodes, and I will mourn the loss of queens Eva and Lucia (Can I get a YAAAS for my lady bosses? 8-) ).

That said, I think the Parkers have paved the way nicely for some of the newer families in Odyssey, and I'm excited for whatever comes next!
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:Can I get a YAAAS for my lady bosses? 8-)
YAAAS, QUEEN!! :eva: :mrgreen:
Monica Stone wrote:
MonkeyDude wrote:Grandma Lucia is great too. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it revealed in the Club exclusive 'In a Sun Scorched Land' that she was battling cancer?
Yes, Matthew mentioned that she had cancer, but it was implied that she was going to be okay.
Wait, what?! REALLY?? :shock: I haven't listened to all of last years episodes yet, so I did not know this before now. I will listen to that episode as soon as I can now! Glad that she's gonna be okie, and it's kinda neat that they included cancer without making into too big of a deal.
ByeByeBrownie wrote:I have had very mixed feelings about the Parker family over the years. When they first made the scene, I actually found them to be quite cringy. At the very beginning, it felt to me almost like they were just introducing a Hispanic (albeit only partially) family simply to meet a diversity quota, and not doing a very good job of it at that. I actually found some of the earlier Parker episodes (e.g. Grandma's Visit) to be quite caricaturistic and demeaning of Hispanic culture. As the family evolved throughout the show, however, their racial identity seemed to become much more natural and less contrived.
Yeah, I understand those thoughts and feelings. I had similar thoughts. Actually, the first several Parker family episodes reminded me of another show (especially Grandma's Visit); Maya & Miguel. Which also struck me as very caricaturistic/stereotype-y as well. I mean, I enjoyed the episodes with the Parkers for what they were, but it deffos felt a little forced at times, as you mentioned. But they eventually figured them out very well, I think. :yes:

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:Can I get a YAAAS for my lady bosses?
YAAAS Ladies. Long live the queens!
ByeByeBrownie wrote:I would love to have Matthew back for at least a few more episodes
For sure agree. It's kinda a shame because I feel like Justin Felbinger finally started to REALLY sound like OG Matthew (Zach Callison).
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:I have had very mixed feelings about the Parker family over the years. When they first made the scene, I actually found them to be quite cringy. At the very beginning, it felt to me almost like they were just introducing a Hispanic (albeit only partially) family simply to meet a diversity quota, and not doing a very good job of it at that. I actually found some of the earlier Parker episodes (e.g. Grandma's Visit) to be quite caricaturistic and demeaning of Hispanic culture. As the family evolved throughout the show, however, their racial identity seemed to become much more natural and less contrived.
I don't think the Parkers were added so aio could get "diversity points". The aio team isn't like that. I think they genuinely wanted to represent other cultures, even if no one noticed or cared (but obviously the fans did). I think perhaps they were not sure how to incorporate their Hispanic heritage at first, but they got the hang of it.

Oof. I like "Grandma's Visit." I don't find it demeaning, but definitely stereotypical. I think the Parkers had a rough start but felt more and more natural in every way as the show progressed.
Eugenepaw wrote: Wait, what?! REALLY?? :shock: I haven't listened to all of last years episodes yet, so I did not know this before now. I will listen to that episode as soon as I can now! Glad that she's gonna be okie, and it's kinda neat that they included cancer without making into too big of a deal.

Yeah, I understand those thoughts and feelings. I had similar thoughts. Actually, the first several Parker family episodes reminded me of another show (especially Grandma's Visit); Maya & Miguel. Which also struck me as very caricaturistic/stereotype-y as well. I mean, I enjoyed the episodes with the Parkers for what they were, but it deffos felt a little forced at times, as you mentioned. But they eventually figured them out very well, I think. :yes:
"In a Sun-Scorched Land" is a really good episode! I definitely recommend it :)

I think the writers struggled coming back from the hiatus and suddenly having to create and write new characters. I think the writers are at a great spot with them now. At this point, I love the Parkers now more than ever, so I will miss them but I understand and respect the need to phase them out.
MonkeyDude wrote: For sure agree. It's kinda a shame because I feel like Justin Felbinger finally started to REALLY sound like OG Matthew (Zach Callison).
Justin Felbinger has been doing such a great job and I think it shows in his performances that he loves playing Matthew. Still holding out hope that he'll appear in album 69. :sad3:

Oof. If "Further from the Truth" is his last episode... :-k An unexpected choice for the final appearance of Matthew Parker.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Yeah! 'In a Sun Scorched Land' is definitely a good episode! Especially for a club exclusive.
Monica Stone wrote:Justin Felbinger has been doing such a great job and I think it shows in his performances that he loves playing Matthew. Still holding out hope that he'll appear in album 69. :sad3:

Oof. If "Further from the Truth" is his last episode... :-k An unexpected choice for the final appearance of Matthew Parker.
Oh for sure! Justin has done a fantastic job! Yeah, me too bro. I guess it would kinda make since if 'Further from the Truth' was his last episode and I know the Odyssey crew was pretty adamant they currently had no plans for Matthew but I still feel like it didn't really resolve Emily and Matthew's arc. Like, yeah Emily agrees to talk to him again but she also admits that solving mysteries without him is sad and that she really needs him. I don't think he has to rejoin 'Jones & Parker' or anything but something has to happen or else it might bug me for the rest of eternity.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote: Oh for sure! Justin has done a pawtastic job! Yeah, me too bro. I guess it would kinda make since if 'Further from the Truth' was his last episode and I know the Odyssey crew was pretty adamant they currently had no plans for Matthew but I still feel like it didn't really resolve Emily and Matthew's arc. Like, yeah Emily agrees to talk to him again but she also admits that solving mysteries without him is sad and that she really needs him. I don't think he has to rejoin 'Jones & Parker' or anything but something has to happen or else it might bug me for the rest of eternity.
It was either Dave Arnold or Bob Smithouser mentioned in March there were episodes in development with Eva Parker (I'm assuming that episode was "Bridget, Redefined") and Olivia Parker (August's club episode is presumably her last rip). No mention of Matthew, so I'm kinda worried but cautiously hopeful.

I can see how "Further from the Truth" could be the end of their arc, but the resolution didn't even have the 'real' Matthew! If Matthew rejoined the Jones & Parker, it would defeat the impact of the arc, so I don't want that. But, like you said, I just want something else to happen. It doesn't feel right. Yeah, okay, I loved that scene where Emily reveals how she actually feels. But like....it doesn't feel resolved because I feel like there's even more bubbling under the surface about Emily's feelings and mental health. It feels like Matthew has to be there. He is her only established friend.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote: It was either Dave Arnold or Bob Smithouser mentioned in March there were episodes in development with Eva Parker (I'm assuming that episode was "Bridget, Redefined") and Olivia Parker (August's club episode is presumably her last rip). No mention of Matthew, so I'm kinda worried but cautiously hopeful.

I can see how "Further from the Truth" could be the end of their arc, but the resolution didn't even have the 'real' Matthew! If Matthew rejoined the Jones & Parker, it would defeat the impact of the arc, so I don't want that. But, like you said, I just want something else to happen. It doesn't feel right. Yeah, okay, I loved that scene where Emily reveals how she actually feels. But like....it doesn't feel resolved because I feel like there's even more bubbling under the surface about Emily's feelings and mental health. It feels like Matthew has to be there. He is her only established friend.
You summed up my feelings perfectly, I feel the exact same way! While I overall really liked the episode, I have a bunch of minor gripes with 'A Sacrificial Escape' which I really hope get resolved in the 3-parter. One of which being, other than in the Club House Magazines, Matthew leaving J&P comes completely out of no where. I actually kinda like that decision for the character (as Matthew has always been shown as more timid and the J&P episodes had gotten a bit stale) but I don't really like how it was executed. Like, his reason for leaving is him wanting more time to do things he actually enjoys, which is totally fine! In fact, I think it shows a lot of development on his part. But it just feels like this came out of no where. Even in the episode he seems to enjoy solving the escape room. Obviously there are still more episodes and all this could be touched on so I won't get to riled up but I feel like it'd almost make more sense if he left because he felt unneeded or something like that. Emily has always tended to be the more dominate in the mystery department and he's always been push into the 'sidekick' role. Its cliche but it'd make sense if he got tired of being along for the ride and was a bit discouraged. That way it'd be all the more impactful when it turns out she really needs him. You're definitely right that him joining back would really damper the arc so I can see why they went the route they did but I don't know. They just need to have a good old talk before they write Matthew off (please Phil that's all I want), cause they probably both like super traumatized.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote: You summed up my feelings perfectly, I feel the exact same way! While I overall really liked the episode, I have a bunch of minor gripes with 'A Sacrificial Escape' which I really hope get resolved in the 3-parter. One of which being, other than in the Club House Magazines, Matthew leaving J&P comes completely out of no where. I actually kinda like that decision for the character (as Matthew has always been shown as more timid and the J&P episodes had gotten a bit stale) but I don't really like how it was executed. Like, his reason for leaving is him wanting more time to do things he actually enjoys, which is totally fine! In fact, I think it shows a lot of development on his part. But it just feels like this came out of no where. Even in the episode he seems to enjoy solving the escape room. Obviously there are still more episodes and all this could be touched on so I won't get to riled up but I feel like it'd almost make more sense if he left because he felt unneeded or something like that. Emily has always tended to be the more dominate in the mystery department and he's always been push into the 'sidekick' role. Its cliche but it'd make sense if he got tired of being along for the ride and was a bit discouraged. That way it'd be all the more impactful when it turns out she really needs him. You're definitely right that him joining back would really damper the arc so I can see why they went the route they did but I don't know. They just need to have a good old talk before they write Matthew off (please Phil that's all I want), cause they probably both like super traumatized.
Eh, Clubhouse Magazine doesn't seem or feel canon, so I do not consider it canon for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, Emily has had some subtle but noticeable character growth over the years and the mini-mysteries do not acknowledge it. Probably because most of the mysteries are written by someone who does not write the regular episodes. Secondly, characters, like Valerie, Jay, etc, do not feel like themselves. There's this one mystery where Valerie, Jay, and Vance discuss how they are - to quote themselves - "bad guys." No. And finally, even after "A Sacrificial Escape", there are mysteries where Emily and Matthew solve mysteries together with no acknowledgment the agency's break up. So I don't think Clubhouse is a good way to judge whether or not his departure was out of the blue.

I think Bob Hoose was careful within the episode to show how Matthew was more interested in the technical side of the escape room, rather than solving the escape room puzzle itself. But obviously he was going to help Emily solve the escape room in such a perilous situation.

I like that angle! I do think it would have worked earlier on in their friendship, but you can see over the years that Emily has become a better friend to Matthew and they just genuinely enjoy spending time together. After a certain point, she stopped calling him her 'sidekick' and even called him her 'partner'. It's subtle, but she finally put him on the same level as her. There are many little things I could dig into in terms of their friendship's growth, but I digress.

But yeah...I mean, I guess fanfiction is a thing for a reason, but I still want a satisfactory canon ending for them.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote: Eh, Clubhouse Magazine doesn't seem or feel canon, so I do not consider it canon for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, Emily has had some subtle but noticeable character growth over the years and the mini-mysteries do not acknowledge it. Probably because most of the mysteries are written by someone who does not write the regular episodes. Secondly, characters, like Valerie, Jay, etc, do not feel like themselves. There's this one mystery where Valerie, Jay, and Vance discuss how they are - to quote themselves - "bad guys." No. And finally, even after "A Sacrificial Escape", there are mysteries where Emily and Matthew solve mysteries together with no acknowledgment the agency's break up. So I don't think Clubhouse is a good way to judge whether or not his departure was out of the blue.
Yeah, that's definitely fair. I'm probably getting a little off-topic here but Emily's character growth is low-key bomb.
Monica Stone wrote: I think Bob Hoose was careful within the episode to show how Matthew was more interested in the technical side of the escape room, rather than solving the escape room puzzle itself. But obviously he was going to help Emily solve the escape room in such a perilous situation.
That's actually really interesting, I don't think I caught that before! Yeah, I probably should re-listen to the episode before making critiques. I don't know, It just would've been nice to have some foreshadowing I guess.
Monica Stone wrote:I like that angle! I do think it would have worked earlier on in their friendship, but you can see over the years that Emily has become a better friend to Matthew and they just genuinely enjoy spending time together. After a certain point, she stopped calling him her 'sidekick' and even called him her 'partner'. It's subtle, but she finally put him on the same level as her. There are many little things I could dig into in terms of their friendship's growth, but I digress.
For sure! Their friendship was really well developed in TGC, Emily the Genius, and Square One and some of the earlier reboot albums. Like, Square One is one of those episodes that I just cringe through the whole time, not because it's bad but because it's too real. There was kinda a weird period when they were experimenting for a new VA for Matthew (maybe it wasn't weird but it just felt off for me for some reason) They probably have one of the most covered friendships on the show (sans Connie and Eugene) and I know some haven't been huge fans but I've personally really enjoyed it. It'd kinda be a bummer if it ended with 'Further From the Truth'.
Monica Stone wrote:But yeah...I mean, I guess fanfiction is a thing for a reason, but I still want a satisfactory canon ending for them.
Mood.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote:I'm probably getting a little off-topic here but Emily's character growth is low-key bomb.
Monica Stone wrote: I think Bob Hoose was careful within the episode to show how Matthew was more interested in the technical side of the escape room, rather than solving the escape room puzzle itself. But obviously he was going to help Emily solve the escape room in such a perilous situation.
That's actually really interesting, I don't think I caught that before! Yeah, I probably should re-listen to the episode before making critiques. I don't know, It just would've been nice to have some foreshadowing I guess.

Their friendship was really well developed in TGC, Emily the Genius, and Square One and some of the earlier reboot albums. Like, Square One is one of those episodes that I just cringe through the whole time, not because it's bad but because it's too real. There was kinda a weird period when they were experimenting for a new VA for Matthew (maybe it wasn't weird but it just felt off for me for some reason) They probably have one of the most covered friendships on the show (sans Connie and Eugene) and I know some haven't been huge fans but I've personally really enjoyed it. It'd kinda be a bummer if it ended with 'Further From the Truth'.
Emily's character development is so good and so underappreciated.

I wish there had been foreshadowing about Matthew getting tired of the J&P Agency in "The Secret of the Writer's Ruse", but it is what it is.

I agree, their friendship has been really well-developed. I have enjoyed every second of it, honestly. "Square One" is highkey a favorite episode of mine. It feels so real and great and I love how the theme of trust was implemented through the story. You have a good point. When I think of Odyssey friendships, I first think of Connie & Eugene, then Emily & Matthew. It's a shame that fans have looked down upon them. :-s I guess "Further from the Truth", as unhappy as we may be with it possibly being "the end" is a good enough finale to their friendship, even if we could preferably have just one more episode.

Yeah, the period where they went through three voice actors for Matthew within two years was odd. It kinda bothered me, but I'm glad they settled with Justin Felbinger and stuck with him.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica!
Phil didn't let us down! Huzzah!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote:Monica!
Phil didn't let us down! Huzzah!
I know!! I was so jazzed! :matthew: