Help! Missing lines after quarantine marathon!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
josephalancurtis
Lurker

Help! Missing lines after quarantine marathon!

Post by josephalancurtis »

So I grew up on AIO and stopped listening around album 35. While working from home during the quarantine, I binged the entirety of AIO... I'm feeling pretty accomplished :D, haha, but throughout my listening I never heard a few lines that my brothers and I swear were from AIO growing up... can anyone confirm these are from AIO and what episodes I may have missed them in??? Like many AIO fans, lines from the show infiltrated my daily speech, even to this day, and I want to relive them.

"We've already had our life's allotment of oatmeal." This was said by a father to a young boy, I believe, sometime in the early days of AIO.

"It's a hot dog and some potato chips!" This was said by Chris in an intro or outro to an episode...

"...and that was the year that Claude bought me the refrigerator..." This was said by an old woman telling a story at some point.

Any help out there?!
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

josephalancurtis wrote: "We've already had our life's allotment of oatmeal." This was said by a father to a young boy, I believe, sometime in the early days of AIO.
The Tangled Web

That's the only one I could find
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

josephalancurtis wrote: "...and that was the year that Claude bought me the refrigerator..." This was said by an old woman telling a story at some point.
Welcome to the ToO! :D I'm glad that your listening marathon brought you here.

I think this line is from "The Day After Christmas" from the very first album. I can hear it in my head. I haven't verified the info, but I'm pretty sure Mrs. Rossini, the elderly woman, says it. https://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/The_Day_After_Christmas
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

Catspaw wrote:
josephalancurtis wrote: "...and that was the year that Claude bought me the refrigerator..." This was said by an old woman telling a story at some point.
Welcome to the ToO! :D I'm glad that your listening marathon brought you here.

I think this line is from "The Day After Christmas" from the very first album. I can hear it in my head. I haven't verified the info, but I'm pretty sure Mrs. Rossini, the elderly woman, says it. https://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/The_Day_After_Christmas
I think Catspaw is right--this seems to be the correct episode! Since I have a free trial of the OAC right now, I pulled up the episode and gave it a listen. The exact line in the episode is "And that was the year Father got Mother a refrigerator," but it is said by an elderly woman (Mrs. Rossini) as she tells a young girl (Annie) a story. So it's very likely what you're thinking of! :)

Sorry I can't be of any help with the other lines. :( The "life's allotment of oatmeal" one sounds quite familiar, but I can't place it to any particular character or episode. Hopefully someone else can!

EDIT: I didn't see that Kaida had already answered about the oatmeal quote! "We've already eaten our life's allotment of oatmeal" is indeed from The Tangled Web, as she said. :)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

i just want to say i'm eerily impressed at y'all's knowledge of AIO cuz i haven't listened in 5 years and i honestly can't remember a line from a single episode off the top of my head :anxious:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
josephalancurtis
Lurker

Thank you so much for your help! I have no idea how I missed The Tangled Web (I distinctly remember listening to the episodes before and after, but I must have somehow missed clicking on that one), nor do I understand how we got "Claude" out of that line about the refrigerator! Lol

I THINK the Chris line might have happened during Bernard and Eugene's trip out west.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Do they edit some stuff a bit over time? Like cutting Chris dialogue for later syndication or something? Because they'd probably have the latest "cut" on the Club thing, if that's even the case. I know TV shows do stuff like that, not sure AIO would have any good reason to, though.
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

Welcome to the Town! Glad you got to have a marathon, it's so fun isn't it? I feel like I should know everything about odyssey after my marathon, but I am ashamed to say I skipped most of Chris's lines at the endings, so I don't know where the hot dog and potato chips is from... :oops:
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:Do they edit some stuff a bit over time? Like cutting Chris dialogue for later syndication or something? Because they'd probably have the latest "cut" on the Club thing, if that's even the case. I know TV shows do stuff like that, not sure AIO would have any good reason to, though.
I was actually wondering about that too - if maybe there was some Chris stuff that aired on the radio or on cassette that wasn't carried over later.

I always listen to Chris and can't place the hot dog line either, but it's possible that it's connected to an episode I didn't listen to often and just didn't stick with me.
josephalancurtis
Lurker

I can 100% tell you the Chris line is a real one that happened. We recorded it off the radio and had it on a homemade cassette. She is served a "special" at a restaurant, opens it up and says, disappointed, "It's a hot dog and some potato chips!"
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, when you share the context, I can almost hear the disgusted/disappointed tone in her voice as she says it. I can't place it, but I'm more convinced that I have actually heard it at some time in the distant past.