R.I.P. Whitsend.org

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Mariogeek
Tallying up

R.I.P. Whitsend.org

Post by Mariogeek »

Try to go to whitsend.org and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thoughts?
Yo
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It seems to be working for me. Am I missing an amusing level to the original post? :anxious:
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

It got redesigned, probably the most extensively so it's ever been, as someone who frequented it from 2000 on.

Honestly, while I liked the 2000 version (as a kid who was impressed by such things), and eventually warmed up to the tweaks and moderate changes that went up until '09, I was never quite a fan of the new version, and it seemed to change for the worse the longer it remained.

By now... well, I never went there if I could help it, strongly preferring OAClub and fan sites. The new site is basically designed to work and look like OAClub. So in that sense, it's a big improvement in usability. I haven't perused it extensively, but it looks like it'll be easier to get around on the site than it ever has before. They have things of interest (history of AIO, a copy of the OAClub web player modified to be limited to airing episodes) in prominent, accessible places. All in all I think it's a win, even though it doesn't support Internet Explorer 5. ;)
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Catspaw wrote:It seems to be working for me. Am I missing an amusing level to the original post? :anxious:
It now redirects to adventuresinodyssey.com. Truly the end of an era. :mecry:
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

I actually saw this a month ago-ish.... they had a pre-production version of the new site that I'd stumbled upon. Speaking as a web designer/developer, it's a little rough around the edges and needs some fine-tuning, but it's a major improvement. I liked the look of the old site, but it was a mess functionally. So YAY for the new site!! ^_^ \:D/
Petrichor wrote:
Catspaw wrote:It seems to be working for me. Am I missing an amusing level to the original post? :anxious:
This is the sad part. It's really kinda too bad, but it does make sense from a marketing/branding standpoint. :/ It's still sad though. :(

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Petrichor wrote:
It's like when we got a new Whit :mecry:
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

FI-NAL-LY. I've been waiting for them to update their site. I'm fine with the redirect. But now their website looks alive. Like people actually visit it. :P
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

Interesting! It's not bad--it just looks very YOUNG to me. But then again, that is their target audience.

Did anybody else use to play the games they had on the site like a MILLION years ago? There was one with Connie at the soda counter and a battleship-type game and tic-tac-toe or something like that with Sherman the dog. Good times!
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

I found the domain name change curious, but I suppose it doesn't really hurt anything, as you can keep on using the old one if you want; they kept it as a redirect, a forced decision considering there's 20+ years of Chris repeatedly saying their domain name is 'whitsend.org'.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

MARIOGEEK. HELLO!
Kaida wrote:FI-NAL-LY. I've been waiting for them to update their site. I'm fine with the redirect. But now their website looks alive. Like people actually visit it. :P
I know right. For realz. The old one was soooo bad. It looked so confusing and and cluttered. and just.. broken.

I like the fresh look. It really updates things, and like Kaida said, makes it look more alive. But I do agree with Eugene; there definitely needs some tuning up though. Just like I think the AIOclub could look better.. Updating was definitely a good idea, it's something that should have been done a long time ago.. but eh, AIO has always been like 5 years behind the times.

@Brownie: I feel the same, it's very childish. but they had to design it with 8-12 year olds in mind. =P But really, I think what makes it look "young" is the font they use, and the official AIO art... which I never cared for either one. :boohoo:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks to those who explained what I hadn't noticed - I never even noticed the redirected wed address. The new one does make sense, as long as the old one keeps redirecting.
ByeByeBrownie wrote: Did anybody else use to play the games they had on the site like a MILLION years ago? There was one with Connie at the soda counter and a battleship-type game and tic-tac-toe or something like that with Sherman the dog. Good times!
I totally remember the soda fountain game! :highfive: For some reason I think I might have even had it on a disc prior to it being on the website, though I might be wrong. We did have an AIO game with cow tipping and stuff, but it might not have also had the soda counter game.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

I once broke the battleship game. I had placed them all horizontally and aligned them all to the top right corner. The computer shot one and kept going down and when it went down the row and eventually hit water, it didn't realize it had only hit the tips of several boat and not an entire ship so it freaked out and froze. It was funny.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

snubs wrote:MARIOGEEK. HELLO!
Hi :)

Quarantine bringing everyone out of the woodwork, eh?
Yo
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I've used whitsend.org for years, since I was eleven. This is definitely an adjustment for me personally, but it's a smart decision. Although I miss the old website, I get the impression if a new fan used the old website, they would wonder if it was ever updated or visited.

One thing I particularly love is the timeline feature https://www.adventuresinodyssey.com/history/. I definitely enjoyed reading that.

As an AIOWiki editor, though, it's going an interesting journey for all of the editors to go through nearly every episode page and change all of the individual episode links. :anxious:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Monica Stone wrote:I've used whitsend.org for years, since I was eleven. This is definitely an adjustment for me personally, but it's a smart decision. Although I miss the old website, I get the impression if a new fan used the old website, they would wonder if it was ever updated or visited.
Yeah, it's a little hard to swallow knowing the old one is gone and never too be seen again. =\ It's a completely different site now, which is a little strange. But a needed update.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

It works for me. I only use the website to see what episode is airing and I don't go to the site everyday. I can only listen to AIO via my collection. I noticed that you can listen online which is nice if you like commercials.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I used to love the soda fountain game. Always wished it would return.
ImageImageImage
logos linked