Is Chris a Character in Odyssey?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

WELL IS SHE?!

Yes
29%
No
14%
Alien
57%

Total votes: 14

Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Is Chris a Character in Odyssey?

Post by Pengwin »

I feel like Chris isn't a character since she's the host and in some episodes she sounds like she's listening to the episode along with us. I wanna know what y'all think.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

Me: I was just wondering this!
Also me: Oh yeah because he said it on the chat
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, interesting question. I saw the title of the thread and thought, "I haven't ever thought about that before." In the earlier episodes the intros made it sound like Chris was a town resident (or that's how I perceived it as a kid) but since she never appears with the other characters in the actual episodes, I would say no. I don't have so strong of an option that I couldn't be convinced differently, though.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I think she initially was a character and then has been phased out. I remember listening to her walk around town and interact with like the mailman back in the early episodes but that stopped after a while.

Now I think she is just a host and not a character in the same way she used to be.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Unless I've forgotten about an episode, all those interactions were always in the intros and outros (which they stopped doing a long time ago), which is why I'm not sure if they really count. It's not like Chris used to walk into Whit's End, order a Raspberry Ripple, and interact with characters.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I remember always feeling that Chris was the obligatory fourth wall breaker that only existed to contextualize and/or justify any narrative drama that might otherwise be considered *too* real. :o Like during the Novacom Saga or any time the writing was going into some really interesting or dark/intriguing places, Chris would just totally interrupt and be like WOW, THAT WAS REALLY SOMETHING, HERE'S A BIBLE VERSE TO MAKE SURE THAT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO INTERPRET THIS STORY THE WRONG WAY.

I never liked Chris. :anxious:
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

She is The Watcher assigned to Odyssey.
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

YESSS. That's great, Top! xD

She both is and is not a character, in my opinion. Her role has definitely evolved over the years, but she was treated as a character in the earlier episodes. Plus she interacted with everyone in town in "Welcome to Whit's End", so she's kinda just a rule breaker and does whatever.

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Conspiracy theory: Chris actually owns Odyssey. =O
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

jelly wrote:I remember always feeling that Chris was the obligatory fourth wall breaker that only existed to contextualize and/or justify any narrative drama that might otherwise be considered *too* real. :o Like during the Novacom Saga or any time the writing was going into some really interesting or dark/intriguing places, Chris would just totally interrupt and be like WOW, THAT WAS REALLY SOMETHING, HERE'S A BIBLE VERSE TO MAKE SURE THAT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO INTERPRET THIS STORY THE WRONG WAY.

I never liked Chris. :anxious:
Someone needs to edit versions of the show with Chris removed. Like, imagine The Moral Coil Part 1 ends and you're just like "Whit is probably dead. That's the end of the episode."
he/him | a little stinker.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

A good theory (and Fanfiction idea) is that Chris lives in the future.

A future Odyssey where selected events of the past can be viewed via futuristic tv. Overtime, the general public lost interest in the old world of yesteryear, but Chris remains the last true fan of old Odyssey and has gone a little crazy. Due to her insanity, she occasionally imagines things like a talking statue of Abraham Lincoln. She is committed to rickrolling or "chrisrolling" (can we make that a word?) anyone she meets with "The Theme" of the tv show. Under the delusion that she’s a radio host, she provides unnecessary information at the beginning and end of the historical episodes. Chris, like any bad writer of fanfiction would, inserts some of her friends into the credits of her imaginary radio show like Dave, who destroyed her car, as a sound designer for the show. She's got a bit of a reputation around town, but retains friends largely in part thanks to her kind nature and nice perky personality. Among her friends is Dr. Julius Schnitzelbonker, a washed up mad scientist fascinated by transmutation devices (tries turning eggs into gold, Tries making everything Christmas-ey; turning himself into a Christmas tree ornament). Occasionally, Julius gets so desperate for attention that he tries reinventing things of the past and reusing slogans of Dollar Mart. On a few occasions, Julius’s inventions allow for interaction with the past such as accidentally broadcasting a program depicting events of Odyssey’s past on the radio in present day Arizona (It Happened at Four Corners) or calling Jay Smouse (Unbecoming Jay) or https://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Whit%27s_End Perhaps the most outlandish was teleporting an escaped clone of Dr. Dobson (the future needs more men like Dr. Dobson) into the imagination station.

I know it doesn’t work, but it was a fun idea.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, I like that, Patteron. :lol: I haven't heard that idea before! It definitely wins an award for creativity.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Yes, Chris lives in Odyssey! She has a few grandkids that send her mail that Wooton delivers.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: