#890: Bridget Redefined

A discussion thread for the latest AIOC exclusive episode!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

#890: Bridget Redefined

Post by Monica Stone »

I committed to staying awake until midnight to hear this episode, even though I had a rather bad headache. I think it was worth it because I really enjoyed this episode! I was talking with a friend and she also enjoyed it. But I'd love to discuss it!

Below are my pros, cons, and general thoughts about the episode!

Pros:
  • *That first scene was really well-acted and emotional. I could feel the panic and relief in Carla's voice so well. It immediately pulled me into the episode, even if I knew Ron Perkins was going to be okay.

*Wooton's undying love of licorice

*The Odyssey Owl has appeared a couple of times the past few years but this is the first time the name Odyssey Owl has been actually said.

*"Well, I know from experience how hard it can be when a family member is deployed." Subtle reference to Whit's military days?

*Wyatt is always a positive. He's great!

*ZOE GRANT. She was amazing in this episode! She wasn't overly pushy and backed off when she realized Bridget didn't want to talk to her. Throughout the episode, her motives were pure; she just wanted to do the right thing. I love her even more now.

*"I'm actually really selfish. I like always take the last piece of cake." :lol:

*I really love the Perkins family. They're very endearing.

*"...Alexander the Great Jr. or as some people call him, Alexander the Even Better!" :rofl2:

*I loved the scene in the car with Ron Perkins on the phone. It was super genuine.

*"You don't owe me anything." Again, I love Zoe.

*Great theme! I'm not apart of a military family, but the theme was very applicable, not only for those who are receiving unwanted pity but also for those who want to help those going through hard times.

*I think the acting of Keely Marshall (Bridget) and Rebecca Davis (Carla) was especially amazing.
Cons:
  • *It's been established in previous episodes that Bridget works at Burger Barn, not Burger World. This is an unforgivable goof. :shame:

*I think Eva was unrealistically "kind" at Burger World.
Miscellaneous thoughts:
  • *Macaroni waffles? :anxious:

*This is possibly Eva Parker's final episode, considering that the Parkers are being retired. Even though her presence in the episode is forgettable, it's definitely something to note. All we know is that at least Olivia will appear in one more episode.

*She isn't as cruel as she was in "Playing Favorites", but Bridget was awfully rude to Zoe, but at least she has a reason (but not an excuse) because she is upset. And at work, she doesn't insult customers for absolutely no reason, as she did in "Playing Favorites". It's obvious she learned a lesson in "Always Home" but still has a ways to go. I love her development so far :D

* "Sheepole"?

*Miss Adelaide is again assigning the wrong grades to those because of personal bias. Hmm.

*I love Bridget's character. I cannot relate to her at all; I am a very different person from Bridget and I express my feelings and emotions very differently, but that's part of what interests me. She's got some very deep layers of character and emotions and I love it.

*Bridget was immediately regretful when her dad heard her quips about the 'perks' of being a military kid. She definitely knew what she was doing was wrong and inconsiderate, but she allowed her emotions to rule her. This fits very well with the little we've seen of her before.
What did you think of this episode?
Last edited by Monica Stone on Sat May 02, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

I really enjoyed this episode. I think the Perkins family is relatable to me more than any other Odyssey family due to the dynamics between the members. Wyatt is the first kid in a long time who I've thought is actually funny due to his kid-ness, (unlike Camilla *clears throat.*)
Monica Stone wrote: Cons:
*It's been established in previous episodes that Bridget works at Burger Barn, not Burger World. This is an unforgivable goof. :shame:

*I think Eva was unrealistically "kind" at Burger World.
I didn't notice that the names of the restaurant changed until you pointed it out. Now it annoys me.
I think part of Eva's character to me is that she tends to have that over-acting nature as in previous episodes, and while in Cycle of Fear and other Eva episodes it has annoyed me, she's been written that way so many times that it seems to be in character for her to act unrealistic. So while I do agree that she was overreacting in that scene, it seemed within character and not really out of place. With any other character, it probably wouldn't have worked.
Monica Stone wrote: * "Sheepole"?

"Sheeple." https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sheeple?s=t I was familiar with the term before this episode but have never heard it thrown around like Bridget did. I thought it was an interesting insight into her character that she'd be almost offended that Zoey would wear this bracelet. At the end I said "Aha! They did it as a plot device for the end of the show!" which was nice, but made me realize that Marshal could have chosen any subject for Bridget and Zoey to talk about, and he chose "sheeple." Unless it really is that much of a character statement about Bridget, which it seems like it is, it's an odd choice for a subject to string through the entire episode when it has nothing to do with the episode's theme.

I can't say that I relate to Bridget, because I don't, but that's why this episode works so well. We're taking a look from the inside of something that most of us don't get to experience. We're over here with Zoey and Whit, who just wanna help out the military kids and be nice, all the while unaware how they feel about it. I think Bridget has lots of growing to do and I'm excited to see where the Odyssey team takes her.

I'd like to come back to Wyatt for a moment, who genuinely made me laugh during the casseroles scene, the kid who doesn't mind the free food whatsoever. What a great character. I didn't like him in the first couple episodes he was in, but he stole the show for me in Between Camp and a Hard Place, Part 2, because they started to flesh out his character more than just being a kid who can't be parted from his phone. After that he's been a favorite of mine, and in Man of the House, I fell in love with the Perkins family. They're all great characters.
Yo
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Mariogeek wrote:I really enjoyed this episode. I think the Perkins family is relatable to me more than any other Odyssey family due to the dynamics between the members. Wyatt is the first kid in a long time who I've thought is actually funny due to his kid-ness, (unlike Camilla *clears throat.*)
Ouch, shots fired. I never was particularly fond of Camilla either. But I do agree that the Perkins family is really relatable but also very sweet.
Mariogeek wrote:I didn't notice that the names of the restaurant changed until you pointed it out. Now it annoys me.
I think part of Eva's character to me is that she tends to have that over-acting nature as in previous episodes, and while in Cycle of Fear and other Eva episodes it has annoyed me, she's been written that way so many times that it seems to be in character for her to act unrealistic. So while I do agree that she was overreacting in that scene, it seemed within character and not really out of place. With any other character, it probably wouldn't have worked.
Hmm. I always thought it was the way her actress played her, not the writing. I would have thought Eva would have at least reprimanded Bridget in the restaurant. In the past, she sometimes can be a pushover at first (especially in regards to her mother), but she ultimately always says what is on her mind.
Mariogeek wrote:"Sheeple." https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sheeple?s=t I was familiar with the term before this episode but have never heard it thrown around like Bridget did. I thought it was an interesting insight into her character that she'd be almost offended that Zoey would wear this bracelet. At the end I said "Aha! They did it as a plot device for the end of the show!" which was nice, but made me realize that Marshal could have chosen any subject for Bridget and Zoey to talk about, and he chose "sheeple." Unless it really is that much of a character statement about Bridget, which it seems like it is, it's an odd choice for a subject to string through the entire episode when it has nothing to do with the episode's theme.

I can't say that I relate to Bridget, because I don't, but that's why this episode works so well. We're taking a look from the inside of something that most of us don't get to experience. We're over here with Zoey and Whit, who just wanna help out the military kids and be nice, all the while unaware how they feel about it. I think Bridget has lots of growing to do and I'm excited to see where the Odyssey team takes her.

I'd like to come back to Wyatt for a moment, who genuinely made me laugh during the casseroles scene, the kid who doesn't mind the free food whatsoever. What a great character. I didn't like him in the first couple episodes he was in, but he stole the show for me in Between Camp and a Hard Place, Part 2, because they started to flesh out his character more than just being a kid who can't be parted from his phone. After that he's been a favorite of mine, and in Man of the House, I fell in love with the Perkins family. They're all great characters.
Thank you for enlightening me! I thought the term "sheeple" was made up just for the purposes of the episode.

Yeah, I don't relate to Bridget at all but seeing her point of view is refreshing. She is a great character!!

I don't think I would have latched onto this episode the way I did if Zoe's side of the story had not been present. I related to Zoe in this episode, being unsure of how to help out others sometimes. Zoe was great in this episode. She never pushed Bridget too hard and genuinely wanted to understand Bridget's perspective so that she could help her.

I was not sold on Wyatt in "The Sandwich Initiative" but when he next appeared in "Between Camp and a Hard Place, Parts 1-2" he completely won me over. He is so well-written and his interactions with Wooton were perfect! The casserole scene was great, but I think what made me laugh the hardest was when he talked about the "children" of military leaders.