Will You Be Joining The OAC?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Will You Be Signing Up For Odyssey Adventure Club?

Absolutely!
11%
Most Likely
5%
Probably Not
32%
Flat-Out Refuse
52%

Total votes: 44

Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

jennifertwt wrote:
Reddo wrote:I got it yesterday, nothing new in it, just had instructions on how to make a paper airplane that you can then mail to focus and they'll trow them off the roof to celebrate the pilot and the launch of the club.

if you want to read it here it is: https://connect.focusonthefamily.com/ap ... fc2aa0d6a2

I know a lot of people, even Jacob didn't get it
Jimmy Barclay Fan wrote:If they have a way to listen to all the episodes at any time without having to be online and can just listen, I would really consider joining. I am getting emails with info . I saw something about an app.
only 5 episodes can be save offline at a time
they should have at least made it 12 so you could save a whole album and then go onto the next when you are ready. That is what I am doing with the mp4 from my own collection. I do not think this club will head off pirating of the older eps if you cannot download and keep them as part of the club privileges. Now THAT would make it worth it for young families.
No it won't it's almost certain that even the club episodes will be pirated by people who find the source file. I wouldn't do that but I have to say unless there's an android app I probably will find the source from the web version and download it to listen on my phone
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

jennifertwt wrote:
Reddo wrote:I got it yesterday, nothing new in it, just had instructions on how to make a paper airplane that you can then mail to focus and they'll trow them off the roof to celebrate the pilot and the launch of the club.

if you want to read it here it is: https://connect.focusonthefamily.com/ap ... fc2aa0d6a2

I know a lot of people, even Jacob didn't get it
Jimmy Barclay Fan wrote:If they have a way to listen to all the episodes at any time without having to be online and can just listen, I would really consider joining. I am getting emails with info . I saw something about an app.
only 5 episodes can be save offline at a time
they should have at least made it 12 so you could save a whole album and then go onto the next when you are ready. That is what I am doing with the mp4 from my own collection. I do not think this club will head off pirating of the older eps if you cannot download and keep them as part of the club privileges. Now THAT would make it worth it for young families.
It would make it worthwhile for collectors and long term fans. Between the remakes and the general lack of quality we've come to expect, the Harley eps aren't that special. Certainly not something I'd introduce someone to AIO with.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Jonathan wrote:Y'know, we've been talking a lot about canon this week, and that last sentence suggests to me that the exclusive episodes do tie in to other stories.
If that's the case...no. No. Just...no. >_> That is the only word that really sums up a response to that. That isn't just not okay on fan terms, that's just illogical, considering that not everyone can listen to them not because they're just Scrooges, but because their situations make it to where they legitimately can't. If this is proven wrong and the OAC has no bearing on canon plotlines, then this post is blathering for the sake of blathering, but if proven right...wow. Really?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

For me personally, I am looking forward to hearing officer Harley Eps again and I liked them and he was my favorite character in early days and I have been waiting years for them and I hope to hear them all again.

I would like to add the officer Harley eps ARE special to me. I can still remember where I was when some first aired twenty five years ago.
Last edited by Jimmy Barclay Fan on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Jimmy Barclay Fan wrote:For me personally, I am looking forward to hearing officer Harley Eps again and I liked them and he was my favorite character in early days and I have been waiting years for them and I hope to hear them all again.
amen.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I will most likely not be joining the OAC. Since my days of avid fandom (including setting up a spreadsheet to rate all episodes and serving as a leader on this board; I still remember listening on OnePlace in 8th grade and hearing the Leonard Meltsner saga hot off the presses in my first year of college), I have merely caught the new episodes online as they've been released (though I missed the four at the beginning of this season). There is a very small chance I'd join for just one session to get caught up on the new episodes, if this was the only way to access them.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The official Facebook page tried to advertise the OAC, but it made the mistake of actually telling people the cost.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 6834854955

All negative comments thus far... except a guy named Christopher who was probably planted by Brock. :anxious: This thing is going to implode.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

American Eagle wrote:The official Facebook page tried to advertised the OAC, but it made the mistake of actually telling people the cost.

All negative comments thus far... except a guy named Christopher who was probably planted by Brock. :anxious: This thing is going to implode.
sad to say, I hope so. This is the worst business and ministry decision ever.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

American Eagle wrote:The official Facebook page tried to advertised the OAC, but it made the mistake of actually telling people the cost.

hehehe, love it. I've been reading comments here and there from people who are just so incredibly excited. This makes me think all of those excited folks just weren't aware of the cost.

And it had better implode. They keep me from hearing twelve episodes a year and they've lost a fan.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Yes, like Taq I would probably just tune into the online broadcast occassionally. I will still listen all the time, but I have all the albums uploaded to my computer and several playlists I have created myself to keep me busy. If they continue the Passages series, then I could be interested.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

It feels wrong saying it, but those comments made me really happy. I love that parents are just now seeing the cost and realizing how impossible it will be to afford.

Here's a question- Do you think Brock likes the idea of the club? It's just an impression from the shout out, but do you think he's really pushing this just because it's his job and because the idea came from people higher up than he is in the food chain? Maybe that's why he's so hesitant to answer negative feedback.

Edit: I don't know who all has seen this, but I can't help but get a sense of terrible foreshadowing from it. Creating a monster never works very well. Look what happened to Doctor Frankenstein after his monster got loose.

Last edited by darcie on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: trying to correct video
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Well, ultimately AIO and Focus are businesses in that people have to do a certain job to keep their employment and in every job, one must follow "orders". Whether Brock´s heart is in it or not may not matter. I am sure he has a family to feed and therefore must do the job assigned to him to the best of his ability. However, not taking into account the huge amount of negative comments and feelings of the long term fan base is a huge mistake. Where they could have a win/win situation if they had a tier system and/or make the OAC eps available on iTunes where they would actually get paid twice by club members who then turned around and wanted to own the eps, they have created a lose/lose situation where people will not join the club and therefore may lose interest in following the series and buying subsequent albums in any form.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I love how at first they only replied to Christopher Briggs.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Marvin D. wrote:I love how at first they only replied to Christopher Briggs.
If by love you mean it made you irritated, me too.
Dallas R. wrote:It feels wrong saying it, but those comments made me really happy. I love that parents are just now seeing the cost and realizing how impossible it will be to afford.
It made me happy too, and I don't feel wrong saying it ;)
Dallas R. wrote:Here's a question- Do you think Brock likes the idea of the club? It's just an impression from the shout out, but do you think he's really pushing this just because it's his job and because the idea came from people higher up than he is in the food chain? Maybe that's why he's so hesitant to answer negative feedback.
Or it could be he's a marketer, and marketers don't usually have to deal with dissent. The other problem as a marketers he's facing is he is having trouble controlling the message. Of course, if the marketer can't control the message, there's something wrong with what is being marketed.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

Poor Brock. :( And poor whoever came up with/thought his was a good idea. :(

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. So I'm thinking that maybe somehow, some way Focus is seeing a bigger picture that makes the decisions being made totally rational, effective and profitable. At the same time I strongly dislike the OAC plan (the way it's working now) and I hope it fails.
It makes me sad to see this whole situation happening, especially loyal Odyssey fans more or less enraged over the course being taken by our favorite audio drama team. Sad day.
Cbriggs45
Pilgrim

Post by Cbriggs45 »

i like how they replied to me as well. :)

because unlike the huddle masses that have done but complain and whine about it.. i am actually excited for it and will happily enjoy the OAC! WOOT WOOT!
you can learn a lot from job 38-42, being humble isn't the easiest but its worth it.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Great! then you can keep us informed about the exclusive episodes!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Is there not the possibility of people just pirating the episodes. .?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Marvin D. wrote:Is there not the possibility of people just pirating the episodes. .?
I am sure someone will somewhere along the way. I think the whole concept of the club was to discourage pirating by making the whole canon available for listening. However, if the new eps are not then made available for purchase either in hard copy or through iTunes, then yes, eventually someone will pirate. Even if I were going to join the club, if I liked an ep, I would want to buy it. As I am not joining, I would most likely buy them without hearing them first if they were made available. That is all they have to do to make me happy again: put them on iTunes for the price of a regular episode. They would get revenue from both club members who had the privilege of hearing them first, and those of us who are not interested in the $15 a month price tag could still buy them without having heard them first. I have that much faith in AIO to do that. ](*,)

--
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I forget, did we determine if you can even pay monthly or is it just a yearly thing paid upfront? I can imagine if its monthly someone will be willing to pay for 30 days to use an audio ripper to mine everything worthwhile out of there and give it to the masses. >_> So I assume its a full year paid upfront.