Odyssey + the Real World

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

The Irena Sendler three-parter inspired me to write a report on her in English a couple of years ago!! I knew about her before I heard the episode, but after hearing the beautiful, heartbreaking, & intense episode, I decided she would be the subject of my next research report. She's such an inspiring historical figure that I respect deeply. Odyssey has affected me a lot in my day-to-day life & this was one of those instances.

Also, whenever I watch something & it features an actor on AIO, it's all I can think about at least initially. Watching "The Clone Wars" for the first time last year was hilarious because I could pick out every voice I heard Corey Burton do. He does a great Count Dooku.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bren wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:12 pm So, I got an email notification today.

Somehow I don't think they will say "Go away bad dream. Boo!"
I love it! That's such a great line. I used to say it sometimes. I'll have to pick up the habit again. (Not usually in connection to an actual bad dream.) ;)
Monica Stone wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:38 pm Also, whenever I watch something & it features an actor on AIO, it's all I can think about at least initially. Watching "The Clone Wars" for the first time last year was hilarious because I could pick out every voice I heard Corey Burton do. He does a great Count Dooku.
Yes, that's one of the fun things about Clone Wars! Corey Burton is amazing.

I'm glad that Bren bumped this thread, because I have something to add and I kept forgetting to post it. I watched a short video about tsunamis and I'm sure that Katie Leigh was the narrator! It sounded just like her, and a kid who was watching as well said, "This sounds like Connie!" so I think between the two of us we must have been right. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was just making my shopping list in my head and the first thing I said was "I need milk and eggs" then I paused because something seemed weird about that for some reason. I figured out what it was after a moment. :P
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, nice! :lol:

I was going through some old stuff the other day and found some writing I had done back in grade twelve, including a nice piece about my love for AIO. It was fun to read through it.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

While I was at work last night, I had a family come through self check out. The young daughter was hiding her face with a baseball hat. That in and of itself was cute. The best part though, was the hat said Novacom Communications.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, Bren, that's awesome! I love it. If you ever see them again, try to drop an AIO quote within their hearing and see if you get a response.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Wait, what?! Was it an AIO "Novacom" hat, or is Novacom the name of a real company? (The plot sickens.)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

I was at a restaurant a while ago and was asked, “Would you like a muffin?” to which I had to smile, remembering Arthur Dent.

Anyone here familiar with the "Who Was...?" book series? It’s a kids’ series of biographies about famous people throughout history. My family used to have a bunch of these books which I grew up reading. Anyway, I was at a bookstore some years ago and saw a shelf full of that series. I was skimming the titles, remembering the ones we used to own, when suddenly, my eyes stumbled across a title I’d never seen before. One called, "Who Was Marshal Younger?'' I was extremely surprised to see this new title in the series and I wondered if the AIO Team members were really so famous that they were being added to the “Who Was…?” series. I grabbed the book excitedly, only to find that I had somehow misread "Malala Yousafzai” as “Marshal Younger”. What a disappointment. That’ll teach me to read things more carefully. :oops: 8-[

More recently, I read somewhere that the warrantless use of a tracking device on a motor vehicle is unconstitutional, which instantly reminded me of “The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 5”, where Jay Smouse and Wally Haggler put a GPS tracker on Mr. Skint's truck.

Also, when I eat Pop Tarts, I think of Harlow Doyle’s quote in “What are You Gonna Do With Your Life?”, where he says, “Hey, you can eat Pop Tarts™ any time of day!” And whenever I eat pork rinds, I can’t help but think of the I Love Pork Rinds song and Bart Rathbone saying, “Don’t touch my pork rinds!”

I'm sure there are a million things more, but this all I could think of at the moment. In summary, just about everything in the real world reminds me of Odyssey. \:D/
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Polehaus53 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:53 amI had somehow misread "Malala Yousafzai” as “Marshal Younger”
:hilarious:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Polehaus53 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:53 am Also, when I eat Pop Tarts, I think of Harlow Doyle’s quote in “What are You Gonna Do With Your Life?”, where he says, “Hey, you can eat Pop Tarts™ any time of day!”
This is one of those quotes that stuck out to me as well - something about adding the "TM" just makes it so much funnier. I can't remember the last time I actually ate a Pop Tart but this quote lives on! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

While making a sandwich just now I randomly remembered that when I was a kid I used to put a little salt on my sandwiches and I wondered why I did that and then I remembered it was because when I had first heard Connie say in Mandy's Debut that her special sandwich was "lightly salted" that was a concept I had never heard of before regarding lunchmeat sandwiches so I thought it must be a way to make them fancier and so I started doing that for a while.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, bookworm, that is an adorable story! I don't remember that line at all.

I will put salt on some types of sandwiches, like roast beef or roast pork, but not with deli meat. I'd love to know if salt makes all sandwiches fancier and tastier!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 pmI'd love to know if salt makes all sandwiches fancier and tastier!
It didn't make a noticeable difference to me, which is why I didn't continue doing it for too long. :P
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:23 pm
Catspaw wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 pmI'd love to know if salt makes all sandwiches fancier and tastier!
It didn't make a noticeable difference to me, which is why I didn't continue doing it for too long. :P
Most processed lunch meats probably are well salted already! I will think of that story every time I make a sandwich for a while. :lol:
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Last week, a co-worker was attempting to do some technical writing and kept ending sentences with prepositions, at which time I was reminded of Eugene, and said "Prepositions are words we don't end sentences with" which was received with great comedic effect. :lol: Thanks Eugene :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Dr. Watson wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:10 pm Last week, a co-worker was attempting to do some technical writing and kept ending sentences with prepositions, at which time I was reminded of Eugene, and said "Prepositions are words we don't end sentences with" which was received with great comedic effect. :lol: Thanks Eugene :)
Haha, that's awesome, Dr. Watson! Perhaps you will have to recommend AIO to your coworker. I love that quote - it's actually how I remember what prepositions are, since it's one of those random things that just doesn't seem to stick in my brain until I recall the wise words of Eugene. ;)
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

Whenever we go to the Regal movie theater, we get a Pepsi commercial, which is narrated by Katie Leigh.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I normally hate ads before movies, but I wouldn't be so crabby about it if I got to hear Katie Leigh! Fun. :D
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

Catspaw wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:06 pm I normally hate ads before movies, but I wouldn't be so crabby about it if I got to hear Katie Leigh! Fun. :D
I also hate ads or trailers before movies as well, except for that Pepsi commercial
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Bananareader wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:54 amWhenever we go to the Regal movie theater, we get a Pepsi commercial, which is narrated by Katie Leigh.
Is it this?