Odyssey + the Real World

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Note: Random Things That Remind You Of AIO (started by Woody, 47 posts, most recent) was merged with this thread because they are very similar.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Someone's probably mentioned this before, but I just discovered today that one of the pitchers for the Washington Nationals is a fellow by the name of Stephen Strasburg, who married a woman named Rachel in 2010. \:D/
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

My mom forwarded me an email from some Christian Writers organization, and one of the speakers was Torry Martin \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

Today I went to Star Trek Into Darkness and at the end Spock asked Kirk something like 'where are we going to go next' and what popped into my mind was the captain's line, "Over--there" from "Hidden in my Heart".

"Space...one of the last places to be explored....."
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

EvangelineWalker wrote:Today I went to Star Trek Into Darkness and at the end Spock asked Kirk something like 'where are we going to go next' and what popped into my mind was the captain's line, "Over--there" from "Hidden in my Heart".

"Space...one of the last places to be explored....."
I know, when he asked it, I whispered the line in the theatre!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I'm sure there's been things like that with me, but the main time Odyssey comes into my life is strange. Very. I don't know how it happens, but with certain episodes or scenes, I can remember where I was at when I heard it. For example:

The Other Side of the Glass had just began to play when we were leaving a certain store we shop at.
• The scene where Aubrey and Dr. Blackgaard's ghost see Jesus dying in Blackgaard's Revenge, Part 2, I was sitting in my vehicle in line waiting to get a chocolate malt at a local ice cream shop.
• The scene where Leonard collapses while helping Katrina with the dishes in A New Era, I was at a busy intersection in our town right next to a Phillips 66 gas station.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Samantha14
All That Is Sam.
All That Is Sam.

Post by Samantha14 »

Coolness, TOJ. \:D/

Welllllll. Yesterday, we were at Walmart, and my sister and I glanced over at a large display in the middle of the isle. "LICORICE. Buy one for the price of two!" And we automatically thought: "Wooton and Bart!" Turns out the guy put the sign up wrong... :P
merp.
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

The Old Judge wrote:I'm sure there's been things like that with me, but the main time Odyssey comes into my life is strange. Very. I don't know how it happens, but with certain episodes or scenes, I can remember where I was at when I heard it.
Woah, me too.

But I can only remember a few at the moment:

Where Eugene asks Katrina to marry him, I was driving down the road, and there was a tall fence and tall trees on one side, and tall trees on the side. (I believe I was in MI if I remember correctly)

Where Connie is playing the game with the Bricks and the Feathers, we were driving past a camp that a field where I could very easily imagine them playing the game.

During A Day in the Life, we were driving up through the mountains here. :)
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I'm like that with so many things. It's interesting what kind of associations get made.

Driving through Spokane a couple months ago, we turned a particular corner near a mall, and I said "Screwtape... forks... proper forks are better...

She thinks that her forks are the proper type of forks. That's what sentence we listened to in the Screwtape Letters last time we turned this corner.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
TigerintheShadows

For some reason, I associate Album 47 (and "The Other Side of the Glass I-III, for some reason) with driving down hilly and then open road with my family, with grass on either side and a blue sky with really puffy, white cumulonimbus clouds. It was a few years ago, and also, if I recall correctly, the first time I heard some favorites of mine--like "Mum's the Word".
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I always picture the scene where Dalton Kearn gets caught at the end of "The Top Floor" happening on this road with hills on both sides that I was riding in the car through while I was listening to the episode.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

When the famous scene in The Present Long Ago that revealed that the grandmother was really Mandy and she was going to marry Trent, I was sitting in my parked car in our church parking lot, and my mind was practically blown.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
TigerintheShadows

I remember that! I think the first time I heard it, I was like seven or something, and my mom, brother and I were going to a blueberry farm to (what else?) pick some blueberries. It was a lovely, sunny Saturday morning, if I recall.
AIO tumblr sideblog
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I get flashbacks of the most recent episodes I listened to when see some dishes I need to do because I listen to Odyssey when I do dishes. It's the only way I can stand it. :) Also I remember certain eps when I look at the room I painted or think of the time I painted my uncle's house--went through a lot of Odyssey episodes then. :)
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Somebody mentioned "Clair de Lune" today, and I thought of Mrs. Wilson's music box in To Mend or Repair.
---Jeff Fugate
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I'm reading Forbidden by Ted Dekker, and one place in the book is called Palatia.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Okay, I just remembered another one. My grandfather was telling me about how awkward he felt in a movie theatre to see The Passion after not going to one in about 30 years. He said, "I stuck out in there as much as a screen door on a submarine." I almost immediately thought, "That is a Bernard line."
---Jeff Fugate
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Old Judge wrote:Okay, I just remembered another one. My grandfather was telling me about how awkward he felt in a movie theatre to see The Passion after not going to one in about 30 years. He said, "I stuck out in there as much as a screen door on a submarine." I almost immediately thought, "That is a Bernard line."
*laughs out loud* =p Wow.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

I am volunteering at a VBS this week and the science station is called the "Imagination Station".
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I came to a revelation today. My grandfather is like an Odyssey conglomeration, and he doesn't even know it. When I got my braces off, he drove me to the orthodontist. I had a tooth that had been slightly yellowed in the process of the braces being on, and when I told him about it, he said, "They might have to do one of those coloring jobs. I got some spray paint," which made me think of Lawrence Hodges coloring his braces with lead-based paint in Subject Yourself.
---Jeff Fugate