Odyssey and Homosexuals

Don't freak out! It's not what you think!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Adah wrote:What about Dr. Dobson? Or doesn't he work there anymore???
He does not. He chose to step aside, or was run out by the board of Focus, however you want to interpret events. >_>

Anyway, there was once a script, many years ago, but it was never recorded.

And lol, DanP quoted me, I asked Paul McCusker that.

In the mid-late 90's, while it was less of an issue, I could've seen that as the time it happened, as the show seemed geared more towards an older audience during the Jack/Jason era while Whit was galavanting around. Although I think the script was written more late 80's maybe early 90's. I think in the earlier days Dr. Dobson was more hands on and they had some heavy-handed issues thrown in.

Oh, and I think Edwin and Shakespeare have a thing going on. >_>
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I am not sure this is the way to go on this issue. I think it should be addressed in adult programs informing parents how to talk about it with their kids. It would seem that to even bring it up would in some way validate the "lifestyle choice". I agree we should love the sinner but hate the sin, but that is a very difficult topic to handle in a 20-25 minute episode and it definitely should NOT be more than one episode in length. I appreciate how Odyssey has dealt with difficult topics in the past, abortion, death of a child/parent, divorce, etc, but this issue is just too hot to handle in a kids radio drama.

A teen spinoff would have been a fantastic idea, especially when Jimmy and Donna Barclay grew up, but alas, it did not happen. There is a short teen drama on BBN that I listened to before I came to Sweden that was good. The name escapes me at the moment. Faith Crossing??
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Yup, it's Faith Crossing. :D
You can listen online at this link: http://www.bbnradio.org/wcm4/english/Ra ... fault.aspx
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

jennifertwt wrote:
A teen spinoff would have been a fantastic idea, especially when Jimmy and Donna Barclay grew up, but alas, it did not happen.
I remember thinking that was what they were going to do when the Barclay's moved to Pokenberry Falls, it kind of seemed like it was as setup to that, and it was at the point in the series where it was moreso targeted to an older audiance. But alas, indeed. :(
Leonard Meltsner wrote:Ok, Mr. McCusker, I'll be waiting. Homosexuality is discussed in the Bible. There is a very clear stance on it in the Bible. Homosexuality is extremely prevalent in society and culture today. I don't see how it can possibly not be covered. It is 100% supported by the world today. Christians need to take a stand with this, and so far, we've fallen into an awful way, and an even more awful way. We either accept it to be 'tolerant', and desecrate one of God's Creation ordinances, or we judge others for it, and hatred is thrown against God and his church. Let me make myself clear. God does not like homosexuality. God loves homosexuals. Lady Gaga says that it's fine because you're 'born this way'? Well guess what?! I was born the way of a sinner, but I am born AGAIN! I've always seen Odyssey as groundbreaking in how it can present relevant issues to the young culture; to show a Christian Fundamentalist worldview that will not compromise to sin. Like Austin said, abortion, divorce, adoption, poverty, abuse, alcoholism, drugs, mental illness, homelessness. God has blessed this show with the ability to reach the hearts of a believing and non-believing childhood that can be saved from repeating the mistakes of its parents. I'm not saying Odyssey SHOULD address this topic. I'm saying that Odyssey NEEDS TO address this topic! *climbs off soap box*
Nah, they don't really. Although I can hear ANGRY HAL SMITH WHIT talking about it, I can't imagine Neo-Whit Andre Stojke getting into it. Focus on the Family has a clear stance on the issue, but you have to remember a lot of listeners are really young and regardless of age, a lot of listeners are very sheltered, and it probably isn't a subject they want to get into as for younger/innocenter kids its better for the parents to discuss.
Samitude wrote:Since they've never even discussed the sinfulness of pre-marital sex or adultery I doubt they would bring up homosexuality.
Oh, and ^^^ that, too.
radgeek wrote:I would love to see a character that has same sex attractions but is a Christian and knows that fulfilling the flesh's wants in that way is sinful and won't do it. It shows that God still loves these people and can use them for his glory if they serve Him.

But that's no going to happen either.
Yeah, definitely not. The unrecorded script I believe just dealt with the general topic being taught in school or something, I don't think it actually contained any homosexual character, but I could be wrong.
31899 wrote:The point made by DanP740 is that they are not going to.

For those of you trolls that are going/have gone/will post their rants, please remember Jesus taught love not hate, meaning love the sinner hate the sin. Do not hate the sinner.

Indeed. It would be fun for this non-existant episode to have like... Connie represent the right wing totally mean anti-gay group, Eugene being the modern society saying it is scripturally wrong perhaps but not a big deal, and Whit being in the middle with being firm its a sin but still being a nice dude and not hating on people.

But yeah of course, that isn't going to happen. \:D/
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I will throw this out here...

Homosexuality is a bad sin, but no worse than premarital affairs or adultery. I don't believe sins are classified by how "bad" they are.

So while it would be wonderful for them to do a show on this, I guess we can be content in the fact that they're addressing other sin issues. Although I wish they'd be brave and try this...

Does anyone have an email address for the writers or producers? It would be awesome for someone to email them about this. :yes:

\:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I'm pretty sure, as has been said, they want to avoid sex topics entirely--which is perfectly reasonable for a show targeting 8-12 year olds (and is seemingly really sticking to that lately). And as Dan posted, I did contact them and was given the universal health care response. ;)

I wonder if, hypothetically, if they really DID want to do an episode, if they would get all the actors on board. Hal Smith and some of the original actors were pretty old school but I could see at least some of the current actors not wanting to do an episode along those lines--I don't think they all claim even Christianity, and out of all those that do they may have a more lax view on the issue and would consider acting in an episode about it to be... hatemongering or something. \:D/

Okay, I would do whatever I was paid to do, but realistically I would be picky about exactly how the script handled it before I'd really be on board, and I assume the Hollywood VA types are less conservative than I.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Lee wrote:I will throw this out here...

Homosexuality is a bad sin, but no worse than premarital affairs or adultery. I don't believe sins are classified by how "bad" they are.

So while it would be wonderful for them to do a show on this, I guess we can be content in the fact that they're addressing other sin issues. Although I wish they'd be brave and try this...
I agree with you, Lee. I believe that homosexuality is a sin, however it is also a very complicated and confusing topic. I know that AIO is a family radio drama. So, I doubt that they would ever do an episode about this topic because of the millions of children listening. I am grateful though for other issues AIO does discuss. :yes:
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Top Crusader wrote:I'm pretty sure, as has been said, they want to avoid sex topics entirely--which is perfectly reasonable for a show targeting 8-12 year olds (and is seemingly really sticking to that lately). And as Dan posted, I did contact them and was given the universal health care response. ;)

I wonder if, hypothetically, if they really DID want to do an episode, if they would get all the actors on board. Hal Smith and some of the original actors were pretty old school but I could see at least some of the current actors not wanting to do an episode along those lines--I don't think they all claim even Christianity, and out of all those that do they may have a more lax view on the issue and would consider acting in an episode about it to be... hatemongering or something. \:D/

Okay, I would do whatever I was paid to do, but realistically I would be picky about exactly how the script handled it before I'd really be on board, and I assume the Hollywood VA types are less conservative than I.
I concur. Odyssey is just not targeted to older listeners. And even though, it never actually was, it at least used to appeal to older people.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

If anywhere, another collection like The Truth Chronicles would be the place.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

It's such a sensitive topic that I don't think they could reasonably put it in a kids' show (although plenty of kids probably know a good deal about it anyway). I think it's one of those things that should be addressed at home, seeing as even within the Christian community there's enough of a diversity in viewpoints that you'd offend one group and encourage another. I think someone also pointed out things like premarital sex and other stuff like that. Odyssey could have covered that in another episode back in the eighties-early nineties, but here in the twenty-first century that's just not something to discuss on a family show.

They could use an allegory, though I don't know what they could do.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Aaron Wiley
Popsicle kid

Post by Aaron Wiley »

Well Odyssey goes through phases, maybe when they go back into "older kids mode" it'll be a subject worth dealing with.
"And the Lord saw that man had created the Internet, and He was most distressed. For once people started using chatspeak and improper grammar, their level of smartness was decreased by more than 500%. And so the Lord removed all the gifts he had once bestowed on man, and it was very sad." The Book of Marvin, Chapter 351, Verse 442.
Calhoun07
Not as new

Post by Calhoun07 »

I would like to see the show tackle the topic.

And they could do it in a way without condoning the sexual acts.

After all, like another poster said, it is a sin, but not any worse than any other sins. In fact, when it's mentioned in the New Testament it's after a long list of other sexual (heterosexual, mind you) sins that Paul is addressing in the church.

I don't think the show needs to take the liberal approach that Jesus never talked about same sex marriage (Jesus made it clear marriage is to be between one man and one woman) but on the other hand, I don't see Jesus shunning homosexuals in society today like so many Christians do.

For example, when Christians refuse to serve homosexuals in stores, restaurants, and such. Sorry, but that comes off to me as the modern day casting of the proverbial stones. We are all sinners, should then none of us get service in stores then? Only the born again crowd can shop and eat?

I think a lot of Christians today treat the LGBT community like the Pharisees treated the Samaritans back in the Bible. The Pharisees literally refused service to them, such as the woman at the well wanting water.

But Jesus gave the water and told the adulteress to go and sin no more.

Would Jesus deny a cake to a gay person? I doubt it, but He would share the Good News with them and tell them to go sin no more.

Can the church (and AIO) teach that it is a sin and also teach that the people in the LGBT community are just that--people no different than you or me but they are just fighting different sins? I would think so and hope so.

I will never support gay marriage in the church. If the world wants it in the sight of man's laws, well...that's in the sight of man's laws. But I fear their reward will be on Earth, not in Heaven. Should all people be treated equally and fairly? Yes, they should.

AIO is a series that had an episode about racism in the next town over. Would the LGBT topic be much different than how they took the same approach in that episode?

The episode wouldn't have to be about sex, either. Just how we treat others we deem as more sinful than us.
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

From what I know, Focus on the Family is pretty conservative on LGBT issues. I also think there was something in The Ties that Bind. Something about marriage. That being said, I think that it is possible that they will do an episode on this issue. When they will, I don't know.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I think their episode(s) on the the subject was in The Ties That Bind. Whether they touch on it again.. who knows. I don't really think it is necessary, other than possibly doing what Calhoun07 said, and addressing how we treat/should treat others who we deem are more sinful or have "worse" sin than us or other people.

He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone.

We're all sinners, it's just some sin is more visible than others. Everyone has demons in their closet.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Male Ham on Male Ham action ITT
Wod Fam Choc Sod
Not as new

Post by Wod Fam Choc Sod »

I really don't think Odyssey should touch on this. It is an incredibly important topic for kids to understand, but better something they should discuss with their parents. Odyssey is supposed to be a kid's show... focusing on things like honesty, responsibility, patience, kindness, etc... homosexuality is too deep and heavy a topic for a kid's show to cover. And terribly controversial. I have a feeling it wouldn't go over well with listeners.
Read Odyssey's latest epic: The Checkmate Saga!!!
https://juliettederouledewrites.blogspo ... kmate.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Connie: (whispering) Oh, she looks beautiful, doesn't she?
Jason: (also whispering) Beautiful.
Connie: (tearfully) Everyone looks beautiful!
Jason: Yes, Connie, they're all beautiful.
Connie: Your dad. Oh... he looks great in that tuxedo. He's... oh... he's...
Jason: Beautiful.
Connie: (still fighting tears) Yeah. And Katrina in that dress...
Jason: She got her stitches out just in time.
Connie: (quavering) I think I'm gonna cry.
Jason: Here's my hankie.
Connie: *sniffs* Thank you.
Jason: I knew all along, by the way.
Connie: Well, good for you. Can I cry now, or are you gonna keep talking?
Jason: Have a good cry.
Connie: (sobbing) Thank you. *dramatic sobs* *blows nose*
Eugene's Computer
Lurker
Post by Eugene's Computer »

Leonard Meltsner wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:42 am
DanP740 wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:but on the other hand, I have NO clue how they would do it.
Wooton and Edwin are going to confess their love for each other and announce their upcoming marriage in Timmy's cabin. \:D/
Don't even joke.

I could however, see Margaret Faye confessing being a lesbian. It would actually fit her character quite well, IMO.

Why does this fit her character? That seems like a massive generalization that isn't near fair to anyone...