Stupidest Episodes

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I totally agree with Bob on OT Action News. And BTV. And random KYDS variety shows or whatever. >_>

I just never, even as a kid, liked those episodes.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Hey guys...it's getting kind of long here, so I'll just put the extra long ones between Bob and Candy in spoilers \:D/ Carry on!
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

...my earlier post only shows up in the preview on the reply page, not on the main page. :(

Bow before Bob. :worship:
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Bow before Bob. :worship:

And I'm not anywhere near Peter. ;-)

Not tryin' to be touchy or anything, t's just I'm not sure about that kinda thing, even as a joke.
I totally agree with Bob on OT Action News. And BTV. And random KYDS variety shows or whatever. >_>
Thanks for the support. :-)

I don't think a lot of these are necessarily horrible, and I even enjoy listening to a lot of them, to at least some extent, but I do think there's a tendency to overrate those kinds of episodes -- and it comes off as unfair to me when people slam new episodes that do pretty much the same thing. Just because an episode is old doesn't automatically make it good, and I think it's important to keep that in perspective.
Last edited by Bob on Tue May 31, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young&Mighty
Pilgrim

Post by Young&Mighty »

I Slap Floor, hands down.
"Adventure is Out There"

~Charles Muntz from "Up"
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

Marv wrote:Hey guys...it's getting kind of long here, so I'll just put the extra long ones between Bob and Candy in spoilers \:D/ Carry on!
Doesn't this take away our money that we made for the post then?
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

My cash totals seem to be fine, so I don't guess it does.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

That's for Quotes, not Spoilers
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
mortymoscowitz
Lurker
Post by mortymoscowitz »

I hate to resurrect this after so long, but there's a right answer to this question: The Day After Christmas.
This episode is rough and, honestly, pretty racist.

Other honorable mentions: Castles and Cauldrons, What Are We Gonna Do About Halloween?, No Boundaries (maybe not STUPIDest, but really scary and kind of manipulative. Makes a good point but in a really messed up way), Not So Trivial Pursuits (some of the trivia answers are literally wrong and Truth Trivia and 'Trina was a much better game-show-centered episode)
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

mortymoscowitz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:26 am I hate to resurrect this after so long, but there's a right answer to this question: The Day After Christmas.
This episode is rough and, honestly, pretty racist.
Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I like that one. Get ready for my long rant about how a kid's radio show episode from the 80's isn't that bad. I think the only thing that's possibly a real racist stereotype in there is the street gang being implied as Hispanic (calling them the Locos). I didn't like how the gang was after the kids, maybe that was unrealistic, but there are genuine creeps out there. My little brother was almost kidnapped when we went on vacation one year! Everything else seemed to make sense just fine. The girl is implied middle class and doesn't realize that people can't just buy better things whenever they want. A pretty honest mistake for a naïve spoiled little kid. The Senior Center not allowing people under 18 in is something I've read about in our newspaper in the past, though I bet our local one would enforce that with events where there's alcohol. Calling the place a ghetto is pretty insensitive, but I think they just meant that the homes are pretty bad. My next door neighbor lives an a little plywood shack with no water or power and she likes it that way(though most people wouldn't). Plenty of people down my road live in old school busses and the like. I realize that this episode is about a poor urban area, not rural like mine though. I bet most of us have at one point or another met someone like Mrs. Vencini, kinda rough, but actually nice enough deeper down. The girl seemed to rub her wrong at first (to borrow the colloquialism) and her reaction mostly made sense to me. I love the story Mrs. Vencini shares about when she was a little girl. That's the kind of silly thing we worried about as kids. The thing about some people who need help but won't get it because of pride is very true too. It's a human nature kind of thing, and depending on the scenario, anyone might be too ashamed of their own situation to accept help. I know a woman with no income who needs cancer treatment(living out of an old bus no less), but refuses to let others help her out of pride or self worth issues. Sorry that got really long, but I don't feel that this episode deserves the hate it gets. The Homeschooling episode on the other hand...
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Patterson. Some episodes age better than others; you're right that our own personal experiences can shape our views a lot regardless of when it was made.
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

Chain Reaction, because three completely coincidental events lead to a water slide or water park never being built is extremely ridiculous.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Castles and Cauldrons.

Both of my parents grew up in the church, happily walked away from the faith, and came back to the faith in the early 80s. Christianity (and spirituality in general) went through a weird time in the 80s. So my parents (moreso Dad) came out of the decade with some interesting biases. An outright condemnation of Dungeons and Dragons was included in those biases. One of the first episodes we heard as a family was C&C, and Dad was all in on that message.

Fast forward 20 years. I'd seen D&D played a few times, but never played myself, but started during the pandemic. Guess what? It's nothing like how it was protrayed in C&C. I get why Focus and Evangelicalism have the biases towards the game that they do, but I think Evangelicalism and my parents generation, including Dobson, just don't know what the game is.

That all said, listening to C&C is almost painful now.
Everett
Lurker
Post by Everett »

Jonathan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:12 pm Castles and Cauldrons.

Both of my parents grew up in the church, happily walked away from the faith, and came back to the faith in the early 80s. Christianity (and spirituality in general) went through a weird time in the 80s. So my parents (moreso Dad) came out of the decade with some interesting biases. An outright condemnation of Dungeons and Dragons was included in those biases. One of the first episodes we heard as a family was C&C, and Dad was all in on that message.

Fast forward 20 years. I'd seen D&D played a few times, but never played myself, but started during the pandemic. Guess what? It's nothing like how it was protrayed in C&C. I get why Focus and Evangelicalism have the biases towards the game that they do, but I think Evangelicalism and my parents generation, including Dobson, just don't know what the game is.

That all said, listening to C&C is almost painful now.
Yeah, I'm not into those games (or any kind of video/pc/online games) but even I thought it was rather ridiculous the way it was portrayed. The writers had a good idea overall but definitely should have checked a few things. it would have worked better if Len was interested in an actual cult type group (who used the board game as the reason for meeting) and tried to get Jimmy to join. after talking to several people (ie, Lucy, Eugene, etc) Jimmy decides to join a game at the end of part 1. in part 2 Whit and George are concerned about Jimmy, and after the incident with Donna's doll Whit discovers the truth about the game, and he and George then step in like they do. it's not too much of a change, but it fixes the major overall problem.