907: The Protector

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

1 Iron Man
No votes
2 Superman
50%
3 Hulk
No votes
4 Hawkeye
50%
5 Batman
No votes

Total votes: 2

Bren
Be positive!

907: The Protector

Post by Bren »

Wyatt attempts to use his newfound protective instinct "superpower," while Carla worries that she's losing connection to her daughter, Bridget.
Discuss!
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Wyatt
Lurker

Post by Wyatt »

It was a decent episode. I didn't think the acting in a few parts was the best, however, seeing as how it was remotely recorded, I can excuse that. Bridget's character development is amazing. I really like the direction Odyssey is taking her, and can't wait for new episodes with the Perkins family.
alex.stevens
Lurker
Post by alex.stevens »

I'll just repost what I posted on the Odyssey Scoop under @Matthewparker2

The first time I heard this episode and "Jumping Off, Jumping In" I didn't like them. Partly because I expected the "Jumping Off, Jumping In" to be more comedic and "The Protector" more dramatic similar in tone to "Always Home" upon relistens though I think both episodes are excellent and both gave me chills/and or made me really empathize with the characters in a way Odyssey hasn't done often in recent years. Marshall Younger is quickly becoming my favourite writer as Kathy Buchanan is currently not writing any episodes.

I'm really enjoying the Perkins episodes and I like the development and continuity where the first episodes of the album are continued here in "The Protector" but both episodes still live on their own and build off each other. Honestly, I think "The Protector" is the better episode, Marshal Younger is an excellent drama writer and is great at evoking emotions, his comedy is great too (Cars, Trains, and Motorcycles, I Slap Floor, Best Face Forward) but for some reason, it feels a little off to me in these two episodes. The episode was excellent, the acting was great, and the Perkins seems like a very realistic and relatable family and I'm excited to hear them in more episodes. '

All that said, I feel like they may be writing themselves into a corner with the Perkins Family. All of their episodes thus far have had some emotional weight or serious/sombre moments or overall tone, while these kinds of episodes are well-written and dramatic, the emotions will seem less earned and kind of tiresome if you're tearing up in every episode right? I love what Marshal Younger has done with the family so far but I think they need more comedic shows (like "Bridget Redefined" or more upbeat like "Man of the House" but with a stronger plot.) for them to be a more beloved and memorable family. I think the main problem people had with the Washingtons and the Parkers were that it seemed that every episode was comedic or a crazy and unrealistic situation, the characters had potential but they didn't have arcs (with the exception of Kelly and Camilla's very short arcs) or go through more weighty personal moments like the Barclays did in George's Job Arc and the Straussbergs did in the "divorce" arc. I think the emotional episodes are awesome but it may become too much of a good thing.

Also considering most of the standout episodes from each family were comedic, the Perkins may need one or two for the books (ex. "Aloha Oy"- Barclays, "Sunday Morning Scramble"- Washingtons, "Grandma's Visit"- Parkers).

Overall this episode gets 4.5/5 stars!
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

alex.stevens wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:27 pm I think the emotional episodes are awesome but it may become too much of a good thing.
I agree with this. I'm fine with emotional episodes, but I think we're getting a little too much with the Perkins family.

I’m a little late, but here are some of my thoughts:

First of all, I must say that it was excellent continuity from "Jumping Off, Jumping In". Basically "Jumping Off, Jumping In, Part 2". \:D/

I had two favorite scenes. I liked the scene where Wyatt insists on helping the 48-year-old lady cross the street. It was funny. And Bridget’s line about wrinkle cream made me laugh. I also laughed during the part where Wyatt’s airhorn and pepper spray goes off at Whit’s End. Great scenes. I liked how Connie referenced “The Coming of Age” when she says, “looks like another kid with a crush on me”.

Oh, and that was a nice return of the dumpster behind Whit’s End (I’m pretty sure it’s the same one)! I believe the last time we heard from the dumpster was in “Chip Off the Shoulder”, back in album 49: The Sky's the Limit. It was good to hear from it again, I’ve been missing it. :P I really liked that Marshall Younger brought it back. Too bad Connie didn’t go digging in it again.

Is it just me, or does it sound like Wyatt’s voice is changing? Compare it to “Jumping Off, Jumping In”. It sounds like it's getting deeper in this episode. I really hope they don’t change the actor. :pray:

Also, Wyatt’s plan to invest all his money in chairs is genius. His reasoning is very logical. I intend to use this investment plan. :yes:

Do people usually carry pepper spray on their keychains? I certainly don’t, and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else do so. And whenever someone says "pepper spray", I keep getting reminded of the episode “My Favorite Thing”, where Doris Rathbone says, “But I forgot the pepper spray at home!”

Overall, I liked this episode, but I liked “Jumping Off, Jumping In” better. Although I am annoyed about the Perkins getting two episodes in this album, I thought “The Protector” was good.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was also expecting the episode to be a little more on the funny side and a little less emotional, but really, it wouldn't have felt right to have everything be all happy and/or slapstick so soon after the really serious stuff. I like that they showed the continuing impact on Bridget. I agree with Polehaus53 that Wyatt helping the "extremely old lady" across the street was a great comedic touch.

I don't carry pepper spray, but I don't live in a big city, where I assume it's more common? I think it's a funny contrast between "Everyone leaves their keys in their car because this is Odyssey" and "I must carry pepper spray on my keychain" in the same album but maybe she's from a big city? Or bear country?
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Episode summary
Wyatt attempts to use his newfound protective instinct "superpower," while Carla worries that she's losing connection to her daughter, Bridget.
My thoughts
So this Wyatt kid thinks he's a superhero. Saving his sister from drowning is indeed admirable. Thinking he's a superhero and perpetuating dangerous activity is not. I suppose it's a good lesson for kids to learn. But it's again this uninteresting Wyatt character, and his even worse sister Bridget.

2/5, only because it was about a kid and had a useful lesson. I could totally see children going overboard with one thing they did and thinking they're batman.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I was more interested in the Bridget angle than the Wyatt superpower part. The last couple scenes were great. This adds a new wrinkle to Bridget that makes her even more enjoyable.
ImageImageImage
logos linked