894: A Simple Reminder

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
894: A Simple Reminder

Post by Peachey Keen »

What did you all think of September's Club episode?
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I really liked it!

It was simple. It wasn't complex, nor was it trying to be. After all of the intricate multi-dimensional morals that have been delivered recently (I'm lookin' at you, "Millstones" and "The Rydell Revelations"), this episode was just a nice breather. I like complex morals and meditating upon them, but this one was a nice break for my brain.
Wilson Knox wrote:And you may be wondering if this little tale has a moral. The answer is...no. It doesn't. Except to say, as I did at the beginning, that sometimes, we need a simple reminder about the basics — what is truly important.
I liked the message Wilson delivered above. I think I'm becoming better at telling which writer writes which episodes before even knowing because I could feel Phil Lollar's writing showing through at this part. It kinda felt like "The Toy" at this part, which might be why. I'm not complaining; this was a good episode!

I finished listening to this episode for the first time at 12:44am. :anxious: That explains why I didn't catch that "Lou Sipher" was supposed to be a clever way of saying "Lucifer" until it was pointed out. And this morning I realized "secure-original-nutrient" stood for Son and the "synthetic-inverse-nutrient" stood for sin. Clever, clever.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the not-so-subtle references to Wilson getting "the bug that's going around"? And how he self-quarantined? And all the technical problems he faced with his livestream? I really laughed. :lol:
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

Okay, so this was a super cute episode! Definitely a bit different, but I liked it.

It was super fun hearing Katie and Townsend using different voices than we're used to hearing in Odyssey.
Monica Stone wrote:
Wilson Knox wrote:And you may be wondering if this little tale has a moral. The answer is...no. It doesn't. Except to say, as I did at the beginning, that sometimes, we need a simple reminder about the basics — what is truly important.
I liked the message Wilson delivered above. I think I'm becoming better at telling which writer writes which episodes before even knowing because I could feel Phil Lollar's writing showing through at this part. It kinda felt like "The Toy" at this part, which might be why. I'm not complaining; this was a good episode!
I literally heard those lines in Phil's voice. :lol: Good stuff.
Monica Stone wrote:Can we take a moment to appreciate the not-so-subtle references to Wilson getting "the bug that's going around"? And how he self-quarantined? And all the technical problems he faced with his livestream? I really laughed. :lol:
This was GOLDEN. And by not giving *it* a name, they preserve the relevance of this episode for the future, while giving a humorous nod to what we've all experienced throughout the last several months. Cute, cute. 8-)
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

That Veggietales parody though. I’m dead. :lol:
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

I liked this episode! I couldn't even tell it had been remotely recorded! My favorite part was the Veggietales parody. I do wish that they had made more Veggietales references, though...
Monica Stone wrote: Can we take a moment to appreciate the not-so-subtle references to Wilson getting "the bug that's going around"? And how he self-quarantined? And all the technical problems he faced with his livestream?
It would be an unforgivable crime if we didn't!
I enjoyed the references to "the bug that's going around" in the episode. I'm hoping we hear more of these references in other remotely recorded episodes as they release.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Polehaus53 wrote:I liked this episode! I couldn't even tell it had been remotely recorded! My favorite part was the Veggietales parody. I do wish that they had made more Veggietales references, though...
First of all, welcome to the ToO! You have chosen an odd time to join, but we're glad to have ya!

I agree with you, the audio was crystal clear to my (untrained) ear. The sound designers did a great job making the episode sound so seamless!

I liked Veggietales as a kid, but I never got into it as much as others around me so I'm more unfamiliar with it than many of my peers. But I agree, more Veggietales references would have been fun. While listening, I made a joke about the rumor weed showing up. :lol: My, would that have been a twist!
Polehaus53 wrote:I enjoyed the references to "the bug that's going around" in the episode. I'm hoping we hear more of these references in other remotely recorded episodes as they release.
I am definitely going to keep an ear out for more references in coming episodes! I need to go back and listen to the team Q&A, because I remember them mentioning this episode in particular and its references to real-world events. Maybe they mentioned other episodes would do similarly. I don't quite remember.
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

Monica Stone wrote: First of all, welcome to the ToO! You have chosen an odd time to join, but we're glad to have ya!

I liked Veggietales as a kid, but I never got into it as much as others around me so I'm more unfamiliar with it than many of my peers. But I agree, more Veggietales references would have been fun. While listening, I made a joke about the rumor weed showing up. :lol: My, would that have been a twist!
Haha, yes! :lol: The rumor weed showing up would have been great! I was actually slightly disappointed that the vegetables, Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber Rob the Potato and Jerry the Carrot didn't sing more songs. But I really liked what they did sing. I played the song at least ten times :anxious: and got it stuck in my head.
Monica Stone wrote: I didn't catch that "Lou Sipher" was supposed to be a clever way of saying "Lucifer" until it was pointed out. And this morning I realized "secure-original-nutrient" stood for Son and the "synthetic-inverse-nutrient" stood for sin.
I also did not notice the "Lou Sipher" thing, nor did I notice the acronyms, "S.I.N" and "S.O.N" until they pointed it out.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."