893: "Badges of Honor"

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Jay_Smouse
Not as new

893: "Badges of Honor"

Post by Jay_Smouse »

August's Club episode was released early on YouTube. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afr3ec3fc0Y
What do you think of this episode? Is it better than Millstones?
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

It was pretty solid for a club episode! I definitely did not expect it to dive in the direction that it did near the end there but it made things way more interesting. I also really dig the moral.
*Finger guns aggressively*
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

This was a good, enjoyable episode!

I legitimately thought it was written so Sparky would die and the sound designers wouldn't have to deal with making dog sound effects. Obviously, Sparky did not die but I was shocked that he got hit by a car and lost a leg. I admit that I felt, uh, slight liquid buildup in my eyes because of Buck & Sparky.

I thought the moral was good and worked mostly. I didn't think it worked when applied to the Sparky situation. Olivia and Zoe were irresponsible and were the reason Sparky got hit. They were blaming themselves (which is not only fair, but correct) and Whit stopped them and just said, "you made a mistake, you aren't perfect. nobody is." This wasn't a mistake in the same vein of forgetting to close one's window when it gets cold or accidently putting mustard on someone's burger instead of relish. Sparky lost a leg. That's serious and cannot be dismissed. Unfortunately, it was due to the episode's moral.

On a more positive note, I enjoyed Olivia and Zoe's dynamic again. They both can be dramatic, but Zoe usually counters Olivia's more heedless side with her sensibility. I love those kinds of dynamics. \:D/
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Yeah! The moral that "your accomplishments don't define you" is one that hits home for me pretty hard so I'm always excited to see it covered (and I think they did it pretty well!). But yeah, with Sparky incident I was just like "Nah Whit, let them feel bad for a sec. They kinnnnda messed up here." Like, it's one thing if these girls are carrying around guilt for long periods of time and it's really weighing on them but it felt more like they were just acknowledging their mistakes?

Olivia and Zoey are really fun though! I hope we continue to see more of them!
*Finger guns aggressively*