898-900: The Rydell Revelations - SPOILERS

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

898-900: The Rydell Revelations - SPOILERS

Post by Monica Stone »

Part 1 was released today! I would love to discuss this episode. It was what I expected but at the same time it was extremely surprising to me.
Last edited by Monica Stone on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

I like it. A lot. I feel like a dirtbag about it but I copied and pasted what I posted on the SS in the spoiler.
The first couple minutes straight up felt like a trailer (the sound and music were out of this world the whole episode!) which felt like nothing Odyssey has ever done before. I think I really like it but I'm not totally sure yet. The pacing felt a little wanky at first but after a few minutes it settled nicely. I really, really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that bogged it down in my insignificant opinion was the characters having to recap the previous episodes to catch everyone up, but I definitely understand and have no gripes about it being included. I really love the format this episode took with following Emily's case log (diary) and also her (not so) subtle descent into madness. (How she was like, "Well I guess I'm going to have to sleep on it" and then the next case log is at 2:33 AM)

ALSO, EMILY USED THE WORD SAUCY, WHAT A ICON GUYS-

There's a couple of little things like this in that in the episode I just really love. But the music and sound design really take the cake for me. Like, for real.

I'm going to have to listen to it a couple more times but part 1 did not disappoint. I love the direction Phil took and can't wait to see where the next couple of episodes go!
*Finger guns aggressively*
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote:I like it. A lot. I feel like a dirtbag about it but I copied and pasted what I posted on the SS in the spoiler.
The first couple minutes straight up felt like a trailer (the sound and music were out of this world the whole episode!) which felt like nothing Odyssey has ever done before. I think I really like it but I'm not totally sure yet. The pacing felt a little wanky at first but after a few minutes it settled nicely. I really, really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that bogged it down in my insignificant opinion was the characters having to recap the previous episodes to catch everyone up, but I definitely understand and have no gripes about it being included. I really love the format this episode took with following Emily's case log (diary) and also her (not so) subtle descent into madness. (How she was like, "Well I guess I'm going to have to sleep on it" and then the next case log is at 2:33 AM)

ALSO, EMILY USED THE WORD SAUCY, WHAT A ICON GUYS-

There's a couple of little things like this in that in the episode I just really love. But the music and sound design really take the cake for me. Like, for real.

I'm going to have to listen to it a couple more times but part 1 did not disappoint. I love the direction Phil took and can't wait to see where the next couple of episodes go!
The opening and first few scenes felt positively surreal. It was amazing. This episode felt so distinct and different than anything Odyssey has done before, even past Rydell Saga episodes. That's one of the reasons this saga has been a treat. I agree, the episode started abruptly and the pacing may have been a little off, but that's what drew me into the episode beyond the fact it's a Rydell Saga episode. I was surprised and just a tiny bit annoyed that there was so much recap, but I understand that Emily needs to catch up with what's going on and they need to recap the last four years of Rydell Saga episodes for those who aren't as hardcore about this as us, the Rydell enthusiasts. I really liked the layout of the episode as well.

Emily is losing her mind and I feel so bad. I'm not sure where exactly they'll go from here, but I am ready for it. When she shouted at Suzu, "We thought we were going to die!" I was shook. Phil Lollar is addressing this! :shock:

The music was literally perfect. I'm usually objective and listen to other perspectives, but I do not take constructive criticism on this. :lol: Also THE SOUND DESIGN TOO. I could hear the train in the background whenever Morrie and Whit were talking. SO GOOD.
I am dying to hear part 2. It's going to be an excruciating wait.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:
The opening and first few scenes felt positively surreal. It was amazing. This episode felt so distinct and different than anything Odyssey has done before, even past Rydell Saga episodes. That's one of the reasons this saga has been a treat. I agree, the episode started abruptly and the pacing may have been a little off, but that's what drew me into the episode beyond the fact it's a Rydell Saga episode. I was surprised and just a tiny bit annoyed that there was so much recap, but I understand that Emily needs to catch up with what's going on and they need to recap the last four years of Rydell Saga episodes for those who aren't as hardcore about this as us, the Rydell enthusiasts. I really liked the layout of the episode as well.

Emily is losing her mind and I feel so bad. I'm not sure where exactly they'll go from here, but I am ready for it. When she shouted at Suzu, "We thought we were going to die!" I was shook. Phil Lollar is addressing this! :shock:

The music was literally perfect. I'm usually objective and listen to other perspectives, but I do not take constructive criticism on this. :lol: Also THE SOUND DESIGN TOO. I could hear the train in the background whenever Morrie and Whit were talking. SO GOOD.
I am dying to hear part 2. It's going to be an excruciating wait.
Oh man I know right! I was super captivated as well! I know some people's problem with 'FFTT' was that the stakes didn't feel high enough after 'A Sacrificial Escape' and this one really delivered in that department I feel like. I was honestly a little shaky throughout the whole thing just cause this is what we've been waiting for and it's really really good.

And like you said, I love Emily's line to Suzu so much man! I'm so glad they went there! I hope they delve into that a bit more but even if they don't I'm super glad they addressed it somehow. Matthew was bomb this episode. I know we were both really crossing our fingers there and I was pretty satisfied if this is really the last time we end up hearing from him (I mean, I hope it's not but still).

Also, Suzu confirming that she was involved to some extent is actually super exciting to me! I don't want to be too over ambitious and get my hopes up but it gives me a lot of confidence in the writing that they are going to tie up loose ends and clues from previous episodes. I'm still pretty stumped about Morrie, after this episode I'm thinking maybe they'll play him off as more innocent but maybe in the later parts reveal he really is the mastermind, I don't know. His character had grown on me a ton (not that I ever disliked him or anything) which I didn't expect at all so I'm looking forward to that a lot. Do you think Suzu attacked Emily at the end of the clip or that they were kidnapped by someone else? Their currently revealed backstory is super interesting so I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on that.
raspberryripple
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by raspberryripple »

MonkeyDude wrote:I like it. A lot. I feel like a dirtbag about it but I copied and pasted what I posted on the SS in the spoiler.
What is the SS?
I totally agree with everyone’s takes so far. Incredible music and sound design, recaps a little annoying for avid followers but necessary, and Emily’s progression into losing all control is perfect. I was stunned at the emotion in “we thought we were gonna die!” Also I’m SO SATISFIED that Suzu has some actual involvement in what’s been going on and isn’t just an innocent bystander. At the end, I kind of feel like there was a third person in the kidnapping scene, but I wonder if only Emily was taken? And maybe Suzu was an accomplice but an unwilling one. Does that make sense? Anyway, the next two weeks are gonna take FOREVER to pass!!
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

raspberryripple wrote:What is the SS?
The Soda Shop Message Boards! It's another Adventures In Odyssey board (that's a little dead at the moment so everyone should hop over there as well!)

raspberryripple wrote:
I totally agree with everyone’s takes so far. Incredible music and sound design, recaps a little annoying for avid followers but necessary, and Emily’s progression into losing all control is perfect. I was stunned at the emotion in “we thought we were gonna die!” Also I’m SO SATISFIED that Suzu has some actual involvement in what’s been going on and isn’t just an innocent bystander. At the end, I kind of feel like there was a third person in the kidnapping scene, but I wonder if only Emily was taken? And maybe Suzu was an accomplice but an unwilling one. Does that make sense? Anyway, the next two weeks are gonna take FOREVER to pass!!
Yes to everything here haha! Suzu being an unwilling accomplice pretty well describes everything we know about here so far.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote:
Oh man I know right! I was super captivated as well! I know some people's problem with 'FFTT' was that the stakes didn't feel high enough after 'A Sacrificial Escape' and this one really delivered in that department I feel like. I was honestly a little shaky throughout the whole thing just cause this is what we've been waiting for and it's really really good.

And like you said, I love Emily's line to Suzu so much man! I'm so glad they went there! I hope they delve into that a bit more but even if they don't I'm super glad they addressed it somehow. Matthew was bomb this episode. I know we were both really crossing our fingers there and I was pretty satisfied if this is really the last time we end up hearing from him (I mean, I hope it's not but still).

Also, Suzu confirming that she was involved to some extent is actually super exciting to me! I don't want to be too over ambitious and get my hopes up but it gives me a lot of confidence in the writing that they are going to tie up loose ends and clues from previous episodes. I'm still pretty stumped about Morrie, after this episode I'm thinking maybe they'll play him off as more innocent but maybe in the later parts reveal he really is the mastermind, I don't know. His character had grown on me a ton (not that I ever disliked him or anything) which I didn't expect at all so I'm looking forward to that a lot. Do you think Suzu attacked Emily at the end of the clip or that they were kidnapped by someone else? Their currently revealed backstory is super interesting so I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on that.
I personally really enjoyed "Further from the Truth" but I think a lot of the criticisms I've heard are very valid. As for the stakes, the second I heard the amazing musical opening to part 1, I knew this was getting real. I wasn't disappointed.

Even if they don't openly and specifically address Emily's trauma after the escape room again, that line was really amazing and honest. It did bother me, though, that the portable Imagination Station box was brushed off and Emily said it helped her cope with Matthew leaving the agency. I guess, considering that Emily loves mysteries, it kinda works, but it didn't sound like it helped her cope in FFTT.

It's pretty much established that her determined hunt to bring the culprit to justice is motivated (outside of her love for mysteries) by her trauma and anger. I was so happy when Matthew showed up! I didn't think he would, honestly. All of the Emily and Matthew stuff was great. I really enjoyed it. I was a little surprised Emily was still bitter, but it makes perfect sense.

Suzu was involved with it all, even when she wasn't present in all of the episodes. I definitely had thought she was guilty, but she seems like she really did not want to be involved. What's Morrie's involvement, then? Is he in the same boat as Suzu? He can't be, can he? I genuinely am even more unsure of where the episodes are going, but I am loving it!

As for the kidnapping aspect, my instinct is that Emily grabbed Suzu but then they fought. I feel like Mrs. Maydo or someone else could have come in. Suzu seemed so fearful and she kept telling Emily to leave. Where are Suzu and Emily now? :panic:
raspberryripple wrote:
That line hit me and I'm so so so happy it's there. Earlier this week, it hit me that it would be unsatisfying if Suzu was innocent and somewhat unaware of Morrie's schemes. But this is great. I love it. I, too, got the impression someone else was there, maybe not in the open, but at least watching and came in after the recording cut off.
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

All these thoughts are great. They remind me that there are other super-serious Rydell fans than just me. :D
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:
I personally really enjoyed "Further from the Truth" but I think a lot of the criticisms I've heard are very valid. As for the stakes, the second I heard the amazing musical opening to part 1, I knew this was getting real. I wasn't disappointed.

Even if they don't openly and specifically address Emily's trauma after the escape room again, that line was really amazing and honest. It did bother me, though, that the portable Imagination Station box was brushed off and Emily said it helped her cope with Matthew leaving the agency. I guess, considering that Emily loves mysteries, it kinda works, but it didn't sound like it helped her cope in FFTT.

It's pretty much established that her determined hunt to bring the culprit to justice is motivated (outside of her love for mysteries) by her trauma and anger. I was so happy when Matthew showed up! I didn't think he would, honestly. All of the Emily and Matthew stuff was great. I really enjoyed it. I was a little surprised Emily was still bitter, but it makes perfect sense.

Suzu was involved with it all, even when she wasn't present in all of the episodes. I definitely had thought she was guilty, but she seems like she really did not want to be involved. What's Morrie's involvement, then? Is he in the same boat as Suzu? He can't be, can he? I genuinely am even more unsure of where the episodes are going, but I am loving it!

As for the kidnapping aspect, my instinct is that Emily grabbed Suzu but then they fought. I feel like Mrs. Maydo or someone else could have come in. Suzu seemed so fearful and she kept telling Emily to leave. Where are Suzu and Emily now? :panic:
Yeah, despite some of those things I really enjoyed FFTT as well! I agree with the coping thing, like, it kinda felt like Emily being forced to admit stuff made it worse in FFTT but it's not a biggie. I do really hope that it is resolved/addressed though because it might hurt my heart a bit after the "solving mysteries without you is sad" line. Maybe Emily can just take a nice vacation or something.
Monica Stone wrote:
That line hit me and I'm so so so happy it's there.
Me too man. It's really important.
Scientific Guy wrote:All these thoughts are great. They remind me that there are other super-serious Rydell fans than just me. :D
Heck yeah man! 8-) You might have us all topped though haha
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

Well, it seems as if that those who will get it on the radio later on (like me) are in for a treat!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Scientific Guy wrote:All these thoughts are great. They remind me that there are other super-serious Rydell fans than just me. :D
There are definitely plenty of fans, but some of them are spread out across many different social medias so it's hard to keep track. Like MonkeyDude said, you definitely have us all beat, though :lol:
TheDinosaurPlanet wrote:Well, it seems as if that those who will get it on the radio later on (like me) are in for a treat!
It's a really great episode, so look forward to it! Hopefully, you won't get spoiled.
TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

It's a really great episode, so look forward to it! Hopefully, you won't get spoiled.

Nah. I've always been fine with spoilers. It doesn't bother me. I's like to know what's gonna happen actually. XD
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

For those who have listened, do you think this episode could have used a parental warning? I think this episode warranted one, much more than a lot of episodes that actually have parental warnings.
Jay_Smouse
Not as new

Post by Jay_Smouse »

Monica Stone wrote:Suzu was involved with it all, even when she wasn't present in all of the episodes. I definitely had thought she was guilty, but she seems like she really did not want to be involved. What's Morrie's involvement, then? Is he in the same boat as Suzu? He can't be, can he? I genuinely am even more unsure of where the episodes are going, but I am loving it!
I think it really seems like Morrie and Suzu are, if not in the same, in similar boats. Suzu seems genuinely afraid of whoever is behind this forcing her and Morrie to do these things, and for Emily's safety wants Emily to leave.

Also, I hadn't expected Raymond to be in Japan. And we were told that we would hear from BOTH Rydell parents, so that leads me to wonder if Mrs. Rydell is really dead, or if maybe Mrs. Maydo was Suzu's birth mother or something.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:For those who have listened, do you think this episode could have used a parental warning? I think this episode warranted one, much more than a lot of episodes that actually have parental warnings.
Oh, that's a great question!
I think for me it'll depend on how they clarify the ending. If Suzu and/or Emily really was just kidnapped I'd slap that warning right on there haha!
raspberryripple
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by raspberryripple »

Jay_Smouse wrote:
I think it really seems like Morrie and Suzu are, if not in the same, in similar boats. Suzu seems genuinely afraid of whoever is behind this forcing her and Morrie to do these things, and for Emily's safety wants Emily to leave.

This thought just occurred to me today, get ready, it’s a wild one fueled by very little sleep. Lol
The program that Morrie created in FFTT suggested that Matthew Parker and his family had been kidnapped, and in today’s episode (TRR P1) Morrie claims that Emily has kidnapped Suzu. The word kidnapped was also thrown around in The Sacrificial Escape when referring to the hostage-type situation that Emily and Matthew were trapped in. What if Morrie and Suzu are both hostages or victims of kidnapping somehow? That would explain why Suzu’s fear for Emily in “Revelations Part 1” seemed so genuine. And as for Morrie testing the intelligence of people around him, maybe he’s trying to pick out people that are truly capable of helping him and Suzu out of their situation.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

raspberryripple wrote:
This thought just occurred to me today, get ready, it’s a wild one fueled by very little sleep. Lol
The program that Morrie created in FFTT suggested that Matthew Parker and his family had been kidnapped, and in today’s episode (TRR P1) Morrie claims that Emily has kidnapped Suzu. The word kidnapped was also thrown around in The Sacrificial Escape when referring to the hostage-type situation that Emily and Matthew were trapped in. What if Morrie and Suzu are both hostages or victims of kidnapping somehow? That would explain why Suzu’s fear for Emily in “Revelations Part 1” seemed so genuine. And as for Morrie testing the intelligence of people around him, maybe he’s trying to pick out people that are truly capable of helping him and Suzu out of their situation.
Dude. I love this theory and I bet there's probably a lot of truth to it!
And as for Morrie testing the intelligence of people around him, maybe he’s trying to pick out people that are truly capable of helping him and Suzu out of their situation.
Especially this part. I'm really holding to the idea he needs something from Emily, Whit, etc.
Also, is it possible this quote from FFTT:
Questions are good when asked of the right people. People are good when making a truthful choice. The wrong questions to the wrong people can be a choice gone wrong.
Is referring to Mrs. Maydo? (Mayo? Maedo? Mandolin?
Sorry to keep editing my comments lol. I'll stop now.
Last edited by MonkeyDude on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

WOOOO, this episode did NOT disappoint! SO many great things going on here! I agree with nearly everything that has been said above.
raspberryripple wrote:This thought just occurred to me today, get ready, it’s a wild one fueled by very little sleep. Lol
This is exactly along the lines of what I've been thinking!!

So, who is this Mrs. Maydo, REALLY (btw, I loved the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel reference :lol: )? Suzu seemed to get really nervous when Emily mentioned she'd talked to Mrs. Maydo. Why?

As for the kidnapping, it sounds very much to me like both girls have been grabbed. What perplexes me is why Morrie seems to be so sure that Emily has kidnapped Suzu. It's definitely not clear enough in the recording to decisively draw that conclusion. It also sounds to me like a third party comes up from behind and attacks them.

A couple more miscellaneous questions I have:

- Is it just me, or in the opening scene, does it seem like Whit is subtly leading Emily to the conclusions she's drawing, like he wants her to suspect Morrie?
- Morrie seems reluctant to continue sharing the recording with Whit after only the first couple of clips. Why?
- When Emily's talking to Matthew, she specifically mentions that the Morrie in the Imagination Station program was good at math. Why, then, does this observation lead her to the conclusion that the real Morrie is responsible? Shouldn't this actually remove suspicion from Morrie, since it doesn't make since for him to incriminate himself like that? Since Emily is aware she's being manipulated by the program, wouldn't she catch that? Then again, maybe not in her current mental state.

All in all, a great episode! Can't wait for next week!
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I'm left with more questions than answers after part 1.
1: Is it possible the technology from FFTT is similar to The Inspiration Station radio?

2: Could this be tied to Novacom? Getting Jared witness protection vibes.

3: Is Morrie playing out his real life kidnapping in FFTT?

4: Where does Japan fit in? Suzu and Mrs Maydo both have accents. What is so important about Japan that warrants apparent kidnapping

5: If Morrie really saw the Emily and Suzu confrontation, who or what had Suzu so scared?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:WOOOO, this episode did NOT disappoint! SO many great things going on here! I agree with nearly everything that has been said above.

So, who is this Mrs. Maydo, REALLY (btw, I loved the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel reference :lol: )? Suzu seemed to get really nervous when Emily mentioned she'd talked to Mrs. Maydo. Why?

As for the kidnapping, it sounds very much to me like both girls have been grabbed. What perplexes me is why Morrie seems to be so sure that Emily has kidnapped Suzu. It's definitely not clear enough in the recording to decisively draw that conclusion. It also sounds to me like a third party comes up from behind and attacks them.

A couple more miscellaneous questions I have:

- Is it just me, or in the opening scene, does it seem like Whit is subtly leading Emily to the conclusions she's drawing, like he wants her to suspect Morrie?
- Morrie seems reluctant to continue sharing the recording with Whit after only the first couple of clips. Why?
- When Emily's talking to Matthew, she specifically mentions that the Morrie in the Imagination Station program was good at math. Why, then, does this observation lead her to the conclusion that the real Morrie is responsible? Shouldn't this actually remove suspicion from Morrie, since it doesn't make since for him to incriminate himself like that? Since Emily is aware she's being manipulated by the program, wouldn't she catch that? Then again, maybe not in her current mental state.

All in all, a great episode! Can't wait for next week!
Mrs. Maydo is suspicious. Suzu got really scared when Emily said she talked to her, so that must mean something important.

I could definitely see why both Emily and Suzu would have been kidnapped. The audio on Emily's phone could have easily been cut to keep out anything incriminating against the real culprit. Suzu was terrified of something when she went into her room and cried, "Oh no!"

Whit knows something we do not. He has done his own investigation presumably and does not trust Morrie a single bit. I guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday :anxious:

The clips Morrie didn't Whit to hear got somewhat personal (Morrie's parents) and they implicated him in all of the wrongdoings lately. At least, that's what I think, but Morrie could have reasons we don't know about.

The Imagination Station thing puzzled me. Maybe we'll get further reasons later on, but maybe it will remain a slight goof.
Bren wrote:I'm left with more questions than answers after part 1.
1: Is it possible the technology from FFTT is similar to The Inspiration Station radio?

2: Could this be tied to Novacom? Getting Jared witness protection vibes.

3: Is Morrie playing out his real life kidnapping in FFTT?

4: Where does Japan fit in? Suzu and Mrs Maydo both have accents. What is so important about Japan that warrants apparent kidnapping

5: If Morrie really saw the Emily and Suzu confrontation, who or what had Suzu so scared?
1. I didn't even think of that! I doubt there is supposed to be any connection, but great catch!

2. Yeah, I definitely get that. But the writers debunked Novacom connections.

5. She might have received a threatening message on her phone from Mrs. Maydo or someone else. She was really on edge and kept telling Emily she needed to get home, like there was something urgent.