898-900: The Rydell Revelations - SPOILERS

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

MonkeyDude wrote:I like it. A lot. I feel like a dirtbag about it but I copied and pasted what I posted on the SS in the spoiler.
The first couple minutes straight up felt like a trailer (the sound and music were out of this world the whole episode!) which felt like nothing Odyssey has ever done before. I think I really like it but I'm not totally sure yet. The pacing felt a little wanky at first but after a few minutes it settled nicely. I really, really enjoyed this episode. The only thing that bogged it down in my insignificant opinion was the characters having to recap the previous episodes to catch everyone up, but I definitely understand and have no gripes about it being included. I really love the format this episode took with following Emily's case log (diary) and also her (not so) subtle descent into madness. (How she was like, "Well I guess I'm going to have to sleep on it" and then the next case log is at 2:33 AM)

ALSO, EMILY USED THE WORD SAUCY, WHAT A ICON GUYS-

There's a couple of little things like this in that in the episode I just really love. But the music and sound design really take the cake for me. Like, for real.

I'm going to have to listen to it a couple more times but part 1 did not disappoint. I love the direction Phil took and can't wait to see where the next couple of episodes go!
SS link below for all interested parties :D:
https://www.odysseyscoop.com/forum/view ... f=8&t=3615
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I just thought of something!
Whit didn't seem concerned at all by the kidnapping, which, even if Morrie is playing tricks on him, is a really big deal. Maybe Whit was there when Suzu and Emily fought and came up behind them. He, too, was doing an investigation and could have gotten a lot farther than Emily. It's a theory that probably has holes. We'll see, I guess.
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

Monica Stone wrote:I just thought of something!
Whit didn't seem concerned at all by the kidnapping, which, even if Morrie is playing tricks on him, is a really big deal. Maybe Whit was there when Suzu and Emily fought and came up behind them. He, too, was doing an investigation and could have gotten a lot farther than Emily. It's a theory that probably has holes. We'll see, I guess.
Yes, I agree!
When Morrie was done with his presentation (for lack of a better description), Whit was just kind of like, "Ohhkayyy...? So is that all ya got?" And then, when he started reprimanding Morrie, he didn't seem altogether convincing about it to me. Maybe he's trying to get Morrie to confess something else?
Brownie has a knack
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:
When Morrie was done with his presentation (for lack of a better description), Whit was just kind of like, "Ohhkayyy...? So is that all ya got?" And then, when he started reprimanding Morrie, he didn't seem altogether convincing about it to me. Maybe he's trying to get Morrie to confess something else?
I wonder what Whit found out during his own investigation. Maybe he found something interesting in the escape room recording that he hadn't noticed before. I need to know!
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:I just thought of something!
Oh that hadn't even crossed my mind! I would be completely on board with it if they hadn't seemed to struggle so much.
Monica Stone wrote:
ByeByeBrownie wrote:
I wonder what Whit found out during his own investigation. Maybe he found something interesting in the escape room recording that he hadn't noticed before. I need to know!
Yeah, Whit at the end felt just a little bit off for me too. I'm super excited for him to remind everyone just who they're dealing with. It'll be so satisfying.

On a side note, the noise Whit makes when Morrie barges into his office at the beginning of the episode might just be my favorite Andre Stojka moment. The sassy little "NowawhoawhoawhoawhoA" (It's at like 1:45).
*Finger guns aggressively*
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote:
Yeah, Whit at the end felt just a little bit off for me too. I'm super excited for him to remind everyone just who they're dealing with. It'll be so satisfying.

On a side note, the noise Whit makes when Morrie barges into his office at the beginning of the episode might just be my favorite Andre Stojka moment. The sassy little "NowawhoawhoawhoawhoA" (It's at like 1:45).
I like that Whit finally is a step ahead of Morrie and is going to deal with him. I've wanted that for so long. I can't wait to see where the scene goes from there.

I know exactly what you are referring too, and I really liked that too. It didn't even feel like Andre Stojka was reading a script, it sounded so indescribably real. I think Andre Stojka is a good actor, but he doesn't really get to show the depths of his skills playing everyday Whit. Long tangent, in short, it stuck out to me too, in a good way. :)
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:
I like that Whit finally is a step ahead of Morrie and is going to deal with him. I've wanted that for so long. I can't wait to see where the scene goes from there.

I know exactly what you are referring too, and I really liked that too. It didn't even feel like Andre Stojka was reading a script, it sounded so indescribably real. I think Andre Stojka is a good actor, but he doesn't really get to show the depths of his skills playing everyday Whit. Long tangent, in short, it stuck out to me too, in a good way. :)
I know right! Hardcore Whit is something I'll never get tired of!

That was a great way to describe it haha! He just seems so done in that scene. Yeah, I feel the same with Andre Stojka. Don't get me wrong I think he is a great Whit, but the ones we've had in the past have just been so perfect y'know?
Jay_Smouse
Not as new

Post by Jay_Smouse »

raspberryripple wrote:And as for Morrie testing the intelligence of people around him, maybe he’s trying to pick out people that are truly capable of helping him and Suzu out of their situation.
Yes, I've thought the same thing!
ByeByeBrownie wrote:- Morrie seems reluctant to continue sharing the recording with Whit after only the first couple of clips. Why?
- When Emily's talking to Matthew, she specifically mentions that the Morrie in the Imagination Station program was good at math. Why, then, does this observation lead her to the conclusion that the real Morrie is responsible? Shouldn't this actually remove suspicion from Morrie, since it doesn't make since for him to incriminate himself like that? Since Emily is aware she's being manipulated by the program, wouldn't she catch that? Then again, maybe not in her current mental state
Good questions.
1. Maybe Morrie wants to see if Whit trusts/believes him enough to help him just after the first few clips?
2. I don't know, maybe she had in the back of her head that Morrie really was good at math, as we find out afterwards from Matthew.
Bren wrote:1: Is it possible the technology from FFTT is similar to The Inspiration Station radio?

2: Could this be tied to Novacom? Getting Jared witness protection vibes.

3: Is Morrie playing out his real life kidnapping in FFTT?

4: Where does Japan fit in? Suzu and Mrs Maydo both have accents. What is so important about Japan that warrants apparent kidnapping

5: If Morrie really saw the Emily and Suzu confrontation, who or what had Suzu so scared?
1: Yes, I believe the Imagination Station and Inspiration Station technologies are very similar. And the cobblebox was made from old IS tech. I've always thought it was creepy that it seemed that you just needed to be in the room for the Inspiration Station and Room of Consequences, less so for the Room of Consequences though.
2: No. It has already been confirmed by Nathan Hoobler that this is not connected to Novacom, and I believe it was Bob Smithouser who confirmed it wasn't connected to Blackgaard.
3: Hmm, that would be interesting. Maybe Morrie and Suzu are being kidnapped by the same man who held Emily and Matthew in the Escape Room. Though it seems that it was Morrie and Suzu behind the Escape Room as well, as Suzu says that "we would never have done anything to harm you" or something along those lines before realizing that she just slipped up. By the way, does anyone think that "slip-up" was on purpose? That would be interesting.
4: I don't remember if it was Parker for President or The Key Suspect, I think the latter, but in one of those Matthew says that the Rydells just moved here, "from Japan, I think" to quote him. They used to live in Japan. They were sent here by their parent(s) (I'm still not sure if I should believe Mrs. Maydo that Mrs. Rydell is "dedo" just yet). It could well be that their father lives in Japan, like Mrs. Maydo said. Whatever Morrie and Suzu are up to, whether good or bad, things probably went "awry" in Japan. We can only speculate at this time.
5: Maybe Suzu was just waiting to check in with whoever is behind her and Morrie. I really don't know, but my best guess is that she is scared for Emily's safety.
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I'm a boomer and honestly not that interested in this saga (even now), but I was reminded about "dedo" from Jay_Smouse's post, and did some research because I was curious. I used Google Translate and "deddo" does mean dead, but it is pronounced with an "eh" sound like that it "dead." I just randomly tried to spell out what she said "day-do", and the word "deido" is pronounced the same way as what she said and translates as "mud." It's not that interesting of a point, but I thought I would share. :lol:
Jay_Smouse
Not as new

Post by Jay_Smouse »

Haha, I was about to research that myself!
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:
- When Emily's talking to Matthew, she specifically mentions that the Morrie in the Imagination Station program was good at math. Why, then, does this observation lead her to the conclusion that the real Morrie is responsible? Shouldn't this actually remove suspicion from Morrie, since it doesn't make since for him to incriminate himself like that? Since Emily is aware she's being manipulated by the program, wouldn't she catch that? Then again, maybe not in her current mental state.
There isn't a simple explanation of this, but I've done a lot of thinking and have come to the conclusion that "Revelations, Part 1" actually closes that plothole which was opened by "Further from the Truth." I'll explain.

In "Further from the Truth," Emily's logical thought process leads her to ask Whit if the programming of the Imagination Box involved Math, implying that she suspected Morrie. This was a huge criticism I had of "Further from the Truth," for the exact reason that it wasn't the real Morrie, and that whoever programmed the box might be framing Morrie, but Emily jumps on it anyway. "Revelations, Part 1" closes this loophole by changing how Emily came to suspect Morrie. When talking with Matthew, she says her main reason to suspect Morrie is that "He accidentally-on-purpose spilled a dish of ice cream" on her. When Matthew presses further into how Morrie could have created the program, she reluctantly mentions Morrie in the program, and prefaces it with, "I know this is gonna sound strange." It's Phil Lollar's attempt at rectifying the plothole, and it still doesn't change the dialogue from earlier (with Whit saying, "That describe anyone you know?"), but it ret-cons it in a way that closes the nasty plothole. Phil's basically saying here, "We messed up. This is what she actually should have said."
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

Scientific Guy wrote:
ByeByeBrownie wrote:
- When Emily's talking to Matthew, she specifically mentions that the Morrie in the Imagination Station program was good at math. Why, then, does this observation lead her to the conclusion that the real Morrie is responsible? Shouldn't this actually remove suspicion from Morrie, since it doesn't make since for him to incriminate himself like that? Since Emily is aware she's being manipulated by the program, wouldn't she catch that? Then again, maybe not in her current mental state.
There isn't a simple explanation of this, but I've done a lot of thinking and have come to the conclusion that "Revelations, Part 1" actually closes that plothole which was opened by "Further from the Truth." I'll explain.

In "Further from the Truth," Emily's logical thought process leads her to ask Whit if the programming of the Imagination Box involved Math, implying that she suspected Morrie. This was a huge criticism I had of "Further from the Truth," for the exact reason that it wasn't the real Morrie, and that whoever programmed the box might be framing Morrie, but Emily jumps on it anyway. "Revelations, Part 1" closes this loophole by changing how Emily came to suspect Morrie. When talking with Matthew, she says her main reason to suspect Morrie is that "He accidentally-on-purpose spilled a dish of ice cream" on her. When Matthew presses further into how Morrie could have created the program, she reluctantly mentions Morrie in the program, and prefaces it with, "I know this is gonna sound strange." It's Phil Lollar's attempt at rectifying the plothole, and it still doesn't change the dialogue from earlier (with Whit saying, "That describe anyone you know?"), but it ret-cons it in a way that closes the nasty plothole. Phil's basically saying here, "We messed up. This is what she actually should have said."
Hmmm, makes sense.

In other news, I was just listening to FFTT AGAIN, because of course I was, and I noticed something. Just before Morrie spills the ice cream on Emily, he says, "Hey, why don't you join the game we're playing? I need somebody smart on my team." SO. What if he isn't talking about some board game in the library? What if he's really talking about tHe GaMe?

kthanksbye
Brownie has a knack
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:
In other news, I was just listening to FFTT AGAIN, because of course I was, and I noticed something. Just before Morrie spills the ice cream on Emily, he says, "Hey, why don't you join the game we're playing? I need somebody smart on my team." SO. What if he isn't talking about some board game in the library? What if he's really talking about tHe GaMe?

kthanksbye
Oh gosh. But like what if. Wowowowow you got me shook bro

-- Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:12 am --

The music again! Wow! So I wrote this stuff down chronologically as I listened to the episode.
Yes Whit!! What an icon! Bust that boi! Ok, the scene with Whit grilling Morrie on all the incidents in the past and Morrie just saying "Yes." gave me chills. I love the desperation Atticus Shaffer conveys in that scene as well.

"Well, you're the spy! You tell me!? Where have you been??" Sassy Morrie is best Morrie.

Holy cow. Whit knows all. I love that whenever they reveal an answer about Whit's past it usually just brings up more questions.

Dang, Raymond kiiiiinda stinks.

Wait, is this whole thing Morrie trying to get back at/get his dad's attention?

Morrie and Suzu are the dynamic duo of distastertm

That's really interesting about Morrie's mobility issue though. A nice detail.

holycowholycowholycowholycow WOOAH SUZU AHHAHHAAHHHAH! Is Morrie setting her up or is she really behind it??? *confused screaming*

Suzu is a kleptomaniac confirmed.

musicmusicmusicmusic

This is all really interesting if it's true. Like, 'let's test these kid's Christian values by fake suffocating them lol'

I definitely think someone is lying here. There's more to this.

WONDERWORLD YESYESYESYESYES!!!! THIS MADE ME SO INDESCRIBABLE HAPPY

Man, is Emily ok though? Like we haven't heard from her at all.

Morrie's philosophy though ahahaha! Manipulation is the key.

TASHA. TASHASHASHASHASHASHDHASHSADAUOHFSEOIFHALXOJIXIJEIOXjeojo
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

YO, I just heard it. I'm conflicted but
TASHA FORBES
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

For what this episode lacks in action, it makes up for IN CALLBACKS GET ME AN INHALER I CAN'T FLIPPING BREATH-

I'm with you though Monica. Still collecting my many, many thoughts.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote:For what this episode lacks in action, it makes up for IN CALLBACKS GET ME AN INHALER I CAN'T FLIPPING BREATH-

I'm with you though Monica. Still collecting my many, many thoughts.
That ENDING though. I cannot believe that they [redacted for spoilers]. :explode:

I am torn about those episode. I don't care if there is action or not, but the story itself is what counts. I'm not sure if it's contrived or clever.
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

There’s one huge thing that gets me.
There’s a secret here that... feels unsettling.
What is that secret? If that line is left unresolved, this episode gets a thumbs down.

BUT THE RECORDING THE RECORDING THE RECORDING!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Scientific Guy wrote:There’s one huge thing that gets me.
What is that secret? If that line is left unresolved, this episode gets a thumbs down.

The secret is probably that Suzu is the main mastermind (Whit didn't know that beforehand. That's why he was so surprised when he briefly thought Emily was investigating Suzu) and that they were planning far grander and more devious schemes ("A Sacrificial Escape" especially).
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

Monica Stone wrote:
The secret is probably that Suzu is the main mastermind (Whit didn't know that beforehand. That's why he was so surprised when he briefly thought Emily was investigating Suzu) and that they were planning far grander and more devious schemes ("A Sacrificial Escape" especially).
Okay, I can get behind that. Also seemingly left unresolved is: What was Morrie's intent in rigging the election?

And also... I called the Tasha theory, actually. I figured it out over the weekend. You'll get to hear it in the next AIOWiki Podcast. ;)
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:
Scientific Guy wrote:There’s one huge thing that gets me.

I don't expect everything to be tied up, but there are a lot of things that don't add up. Like at the end of The Key Suspect, Suzu tells Morrie that the riddle seemed too clever for Dion and seemed genuinely unknowing, which doesn't really make sense if she helped him open all the lockers. This would make (more) sense with the idea that the episodes were produced without an endgame in mind. I think you touched on that a little bit your podcast, Lee.

Suzu is definitely involved. Maybe the mastermind even. But I'm calling that Morrie is lying about that particular incident.

(or Morrie and Suzu just talk to eachother very, very crypitically about things they are both already aware of, which, to be honest I wouldn't put past them *shrug*)