898-900: The Rydell Revelations - SPOILERS

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Scientific Guy wrote:
Monica Stone wrote:
The secret is probably that Suzu is the main mastermind (Whit didn't know that beforehand. That's why he was so surprised when he briefly thought Emily was investigating Suzu) and that they were planning far grander and more devious schemes ("A Sacrificial Escape" especially).
Okay, I can get behind that. Also seemingly left unresolved is: What was Morrie's intent in rigging the election?

And also... I called the Tasha theory, actually. I figured it out over the weekend. You'll get to hear it in the next AIOWiki Podcast. ;)
I also figured it out before I heard the episode, but only because you did the research and edited the wiki. It made waiting for the episode nearly unbearable. Can't wait for the new AIOWiki Podcast!

Well, we have a whole episode left for more ~revelations.~ We might find out about Morrie's intentions with that. Also, as I'm sure you know, Phil Lollar said 1-2 minutes of this episode had to be cut out. We may have more loose ends because of that.
MonkeyDude wrote:I don't expect everything to be tied up, but there are a lot of things that don't add up. Like at the end of The Key Suspect, Suzu tells Morrie that the riddle seemed too clever for Dion and seemed genuinely unknowing, which doesn't really make sense if she helped him open all the lockers. This would make (more) sense with the idea that the episodes were produced without an endgame in mind. I think you touched on that a little bit your podcast, Lee.

Suzu is definitely involved. Maybe the mastermind even. But I'm calling that Morrie is lying about that particular incident.

(or Morrie and Suzu just talk to eachother very, very crypitically about things they are both already aware of, which, to be honest I wouldn't put past them *shrug*)
I didn't even think of the Dion line. I knew something felt off when Morrie told the "true" story about the locker incident. Hmm. I wonder if it was intentional or a major goof. Phil Lollar has been doing an otherwise brilliant job at tying everything together (even going so far as to directly address the end of "The Secret of the Writer's Ruse"), so I hope it ends up making sense or it will bug me forever.

I read your thoughts on the SS (btw I really need to get an account on there), and I definitely agree that Suzu is probably a kleptomanic or possibly has an impulse control disorder. One thing that confuses me is, How did Suzu kidnap Emily? They are about the same size. And even if Suzu did kidnap Emily, where did she take her? I bet it's going to be a Surprise! Emily and Suzu were [insert place] all along! I'm just not sure where. Also YIKES poor Emily.

Also, Raymond Rydell sounds strikingly similar to Wellington.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:I didn't even think of the Dion line. I knew something felt off when Morrie told the "true" story about the locker incident. Hmm. I wonder if it was intentional or a major goof. Phil Lollar has been doing an otherwise brilliant job at tying everything together (even going so far as to directly address the end of "The Secret of the Writer's Ruse"), so I hope it ends up making sense or it will bug me forever.
I agree! Phil had been super attentive and genuinely genius thus far so I have confidence it won't be overlooked. I was so shocked (in a good way) when Whit just straight up started reading his monologue from "The Secret of the Writer's Ruse". Plus, I don't think Morrie "liking to play games" is an explanation for some of the maniacal things he has done. Unless Morrie and Suzu have like 0 boundaries (which I also wouldn't put past them), I think there has to be more at least for Morrie. I also really appreciated that they explain the actors Morrie hired. That was really nice closure.
Monica Stone wrote:I read your thoughts on the SS (btw I really need to get an account on there), and I definitely agree that Suzu is probably a kleptomanic or possibly has an impulse control disorder.
Haha yeah! It was interesting when I went back immediately after part 2 to listen to 'The Key Suspect', I also came across a line from Suzu that held some pretty serious foreshadowing and implications if there was some truth to what Morrie said.
Suzu wrote:A great deal can be learned from examining a person's possessions, don't you think? But what could be done with such knowledge?
If she is really a klepto like Morrie said, that is a pretty incriminating line. Anyways, I'm not really going anywhere with this but I actually think that's a really great quirk for her character!
Monica Stone wrote: One thing that confuses me is, How did Suzu kidnap Emily? They are about the same size. And even if Suzu did kidnap Emily, where did she take her? I bet it's going to be a Surprise! Emily and Suzu were [insert place] all along! I'm just not sure where. Also YIKES poor Emily.

Also, Raymond Rydell sounds strikingly similar to Wellington.
I know right? She'd have to be one ripped chick to pull that off. #BuffSuzu
Joking aside though, I don't think I actually believe Suzu kidnapped Emily. I might be wrong but my prediction right now is that Morrie and Suzu were working together to test the kids in Odyssey's faith, but Morrie was secretly offroading for his own personal reasons (maybe involving his dad). Tasha was most likely undercover at the embassy if she is still an agent so I think she was/is either investigating Morrie for previous or current indevours or Raymond. I also think it's very interesting that Mrs. Maydo stayed at the Rydell house. I think that's going to come back around in part 3.
Oh!! I thought he sounded really familiar and that most be it!
Scientific Guy wrote:
Monica Stone wrote:
The secret is probably that Suzu is the main mastermind (Whit didn't know that beforehand. That's why he was so surprised when he briefly thought Emily was investigating Suzu) and that they were planning far grander and more devious schemes ("A Sacrificial Escape" especially).
Okay, I can get behind that. Also seemingly left unresolved is: What was Morrie's intent in rigging the election?

And also... I called the Tasha theory, actually. I figured it out over the weekend. You'll get to hear it in the next AIOWiki Podcast. ;)
Yeah, that's a good point. Morrie has also pretty specifically singled out Emily, which I guess makes sense since "he likes to play games" and she is so easily guided by potential mystery, but it still is pretty suspicious.

Dude, I'm hyped for the AIOWiki Podcast now!
Monica Stone wrote:
I also figured it out before I heard the episode, but only because you did the research and edited the wiki. It made waiting for the episode nearly unbearable. Can't wait for the new AIOWiki Podcast!

Well, we have a whole episode left for more ~revelations.~ We might find out about Morrie's intentions with that. Also, as I'm sure you know, Phil Lollar said 1-2 minutes of this episode had to be cut out. We may have more loose ends because of that.
Man, you guys were way ahead of me with the Tasha thing, I had no flipping clue haha! Ok, so I'm kinda worried that there is only one episode left. I really don't expect them to resolve everything but it's still a bit concerning.
*Finger guns aggressively*
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

MonkeyDude wrote:
Yes Whit!! What an icon! Bust that boi! Ok, the scene with Whit grilling Morrie on all the incidents in the past and Morrie just saying "Yes." gave me chills. I love the desperation Atticus Shaffer conveys in that scene as well.

"Well, you're the spy! You tell me!? Where have you been??" Sassy Morrie is best Morrie.
I wonder if there's anything significant in how Morrie never admits to anything until Whit specifically confronts him about it. He never elaborates further than he's specifically asked. Just a bunch of stone-cold yes's. :shock:
Also, I live for sassy Morrie. \:D/
MonkeyDude wrote:
That's really interesting about Morrie's mobility issue though. A nice detail.
I really like this. Also klepto Suzu. These details seem so natural to the characters somehow, and I really dig it.
MonkeyDude wrote:For what this episode lacks in action, it makes up for IN CALLBACKS GET ME AN INHALER I CAN'T FLIPPING BREATH-
Phil did a very nice job with all the callbacks in the episode. Very artfully done. =D>
Scientific Guy wrote:There’s one huge thing that gets me.
There’s a secret here that... feels unsettling.
What is that secret? If that line is left unresolved, this episode gets a thumbs down.

BUT THE RECORDING THE RECORDING THE RECORDING!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
I definitely think this will be addressed. If not specifically, then by implication. I think it's simply going to be related to whatever Tasha's there for.
Scientific Guy wrote:
Monica Stone wrote:

I think the rigged election simply falls under Morrie's goal to test the kids of Odyssey. I'm willing to let it rest at that.

Also, I can't wait for the next AIOWiki Podcast! \:D/
MonkeyDude wrote:I don't expect everything to be tied up, but there are a lot of things that don't add up. Like at the end of The Key Suspect, Suzu tells Morrie that the riddle seemed too clever for Dion and seemed genuinely unknowing, which doesn't really make sense if she helped him open all the lockers. This would make (more) sense with the idea that the episodes were produced without an endgame in mind. I think you touched on that a little bit your podcast, Lee.

Suzu is definitely involved. Maybe the mastermind even. But I'm calling that Morrie is lying about that particular incident.

(or Morrie and Suzu just talk to eachother very, very crypitically about things they are both already aware of, which, to be honest I wouldn't put past them *shrug*)
From Morrie's more detailed explanation of the locker incident, it sounds to me like Suzu was actually the mastermind behind that one. Morrie watched and followed her the first time after she took the stuff, and then he watched and followed her the second time in order to gain intel on the Odyssey kids. I'm thinking Morrie wasn't even supposed to know about the locker incident. But when Suzu found out the things she'd stolen were no longer in her possession, she suspected her brother. In their exchange at the end of the episode, I think Suzu was trying to get Morrie to admit that he knew she'd done it, and that he'd returned the things she'd stolen. As far as their frequently-cryptic conversations with each other, I have a feeling that's just their preferred method of communication. Morrie mentioned that these games are like their own language with each other, so that all makes sense to me.
Monica Stone wrote:One thing that confuses me is, How did Suzu kidnap Emily? They are about the same size. And even if Suzu did kidnap Emily, where did she take her? I bet it's going to be a Surprise! Emily and Suzu were [insert place] all along! I'm just not sure where. Also YIKES poor Emily.
I'm not sure that Suzu did kidnap Emily. I stand by my earlier theory that a third individual came in and grabbed them both. I'm sure Suzu and Emily's disappearance has something to do with whatever Tasha's in town for.
Monica Stone wrote:Also, Raymond Rydell sounds strikingly similar to Wellington.
I thought that too!
MonkeyDude wrote:
Ok, so I'm kinda worried that there is only one episode left. I really don't expect them to resolve everything but it's still a bit concerning.
ME. TOO. We have ONE episode left, and there are still SO MANY loose ends to tie up!

Here are a few more random thoughts I have:

It struck me as odd that they did a "previously" intro for this ep, but not for the first one. Granted, the exposition in pt 1 makes it such that a recap really isn't necessary, but I feel like the same would apply for pt 2. Why waste the time on it here? But it's whatever. XD

TBH, I barely noticed the music on my first listen-through because I was focusing so hard on the plot/exposition. That said, the music is, again, OUTSTANDING. I love the callbacks in the musical cues every time they talk about the escape room escapade. Brilliantly done.

Why did Whit have to be so secretive about keeping an eye on Morrie and Suzu for their father? Why would he not have made more of an effort to be more involved in their lives? This can probably be attributed to the ending of this saga not being thought out beforehand, but still...

Morrie calling Whit out on all of his contrived lesson-teaching was just golden. Whit does not have a definitive answer for Morrie on this, because MORRIE IS RIGHT.

Also,
Whit: Perhaps I should've stepped in sooner.
Yes, Whit. You absolutely should have. These kids all need therapy. How bout we get them the help they need instead of playing mind games with them?

Honestly, I think Morrie and Whit can learn a lot from each other. They're both mind-blowingly intelligent and tend to take pride in being "right."

THIS EXCHANGE:
Mrs. Mado: He just could not cope with your mother dying.
Morrie: But we could?!
My heart is BROKEN.
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

ByeByeBrownie wrote: I really like this. Also klepto Suzu. These details seem so natural to the characters somehow, and I really dig it.
Oh man, same! They really do! I love the attention to detail and how Morrie's wrist/hand issues probably translate to him having 'unintelligiable' handwriting according to Matthew.
ByeByeBrownie wrote:From Morrie's more detailed explanation of the locker incident, it sounds to me like Suzu was actually the mastermind behind that one. Morrie watched and followed her the first time after she took the stuff, and then he watched and followed her the second time in order to gain intel on the Odyssey kids. I'm thinking Morrie wasn't even supposed to know about the locker incident. But when Suzu found out the things she'd stolen were no longer in her possession, she suspected her brother. In their exchange at the end of the episode, I think Suzu was trying to get Morrie to admit that he knew she'd done it, and that he'd returned the things she'd stolen. As far as their frequently-cryptic conversations with each other, I have a feeling that's just their preferred method of communication. Morrie mentioned that these games are like their own language with each other, so that all makes sense to me.
That makes sense! Hmm I hadn't thought of it like that.

ByeByeBrownie wrote: TBH, I barely noticed the music on my first listen-through because I was focusing so hard on the plot/exposition. That said, the music is, again, OUTSTANDING. I love the callbacks in the musical cues every time they talk about the escape room escapade. Brilliantly done.
Yes yes and yes. #JaredDePasqualeForPresident2020
ByeByeBrownie wrote:Why did Whit have to be so secretive about keeping an eye on Morrie and Suzu for their father? Why would he not have made more of an effort to be more involved in their lives? This can probably be attributed to the ending of this saga not being thought out beforehand, but still...
I know right? There are many things that have taken place in this arc that have seemed very un-Whit-like.
ByeByeBrownie wrote:Morrie calling Whit out on all of his contrived lesson-teaching was just golden. Whit does not have a definitive answer for Morrie on this, because MORRIE IS RIGHT.
This scene was SO GREAT THOUGH. I've really fallen in love with Morrie's character.
ByeByeBrownie wrote:Also,
Whit: Perhaps I should've stepped in sooner.
Yes, Whit. You absolutely should have. These kids all need therapy. How bout we get them the help they need instead of playing mind games with them?
Ok, for real though. I seriously agree with you here. Also, maybe Whit knew about Tasha or something else but he didn't seem worried about Emily or Suzu AT ALL this episode even though Morrie was clearly very distraught about it and from all they know thEY'VE BEEN KIDNAPPED. He was just like chilling and taking his time while Morrie is having a flipping panic attack.
Yessss!! Let's go!
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I don't know if this holds up, but I have a theory about Whit's behavior. We know that Whit has known about the Rydells even before Morrie's birth (which is honestly insane. A little contrived, but I can't specifically fault this episode without faulting many other aio episodes). Whit is very aware of Morrie's intellect when he comes to Odyssey. Whit knows that if he tells Morrie that he knew his father, Morrie would immediately distance himself from Whit and would be very suspicious of him. Whit doesn't want that. So he keeps quiet about his extensive knowledge of the Rydell family. In order for Whit to keep a close eye on Morrie, he has to keep this information to himself. I can reconcile that plot point. If you think about it, it makes sense. But what doesn't make sense to me is that Whit allowed Morrie to continue performing crimes and schemes around Odyssey. He probably was aware of the student elections, the locker incident, the writer's ruse (obviously), and possibly the drama club. You'd think Whit would step in after "A Sacrificial Escape", especially since Morrie is wandering freely about Whit's End in "Further from the Truth." It is only when Morrie specifically comes to Whit making the claim Emily kidnapped Suzu that Whit intervenes, even if he thinks Emily should be the one to solve the mystery. I think it's kinda messy. Maybe we'll get more in part 3 to reconcile this information. I hope. But part 3 is already going to be packed, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't addressed. I think Phil Lollar is a brilliant writer and I'm really impressed with what he's done so far. But I kinda think the writers wrote themselves into a wall and a few plot holes are to be expected.

I didn't think the monologue at the end of "The Secret of the Writer's Ruse" would be mentioned and it would remain a plot hole. But Whit read it line-by-line and I was thrilled. Phenomenal.

Part 3 will likely resolve this, but I don't buy Morrie and Suzu's motives completely. Yes, they are absolutely brilliant. Yes, they were probably damaged by their father basically deserting them. And sure, Morrie was testing the kids to see if they truly practice what they preach (that was good). If Suzu has kleptomania, the locker incident makes sense (on the first day, at least). Morrie testing the kids in "Parker for President", "The Secret of the Writer's Ruse", "The Good in People", maybe "A Sacrificial Escape", and "Further from the Truth" makes sense...somewhat. But there must be more to it. There must be. That's why I initially disliked the episode. I didn't like how they waved away all of the schemes by saying, "Oh, Morrie wanted to see if they were trustworthy for his sister!" I decided I will reserve judgement until part 3, but I would love to discuss. Morrie may think of the things he's done as "games", but it's really extreme and I don't buy it. Also, what did Morrie have to gain by potientially hacking and learning government info at the embassy? He's smart, but why did he want to use his intelligence for that?

All of the information they have explained with Morrie and Suzu fits, it really does. But I think if there isn't more to their motivations, it won't be enough.

Yeet, Raymond Rydell kidnapped Emily. Just kidding...unless? :- Nah, it wouldn't make sense.

TASHA. I many things to say about her but I'll keep it brief. She was using a pseudonym/fake name at the embassy. Why? I am inclined to agree with MonkeyDude; she was investigating the Rydells. Also, I would have felt eternally guilty if I had revealed the Tasha twist to any of you guys. I only told my sister :lol:

Oh my goodness, the scenes between Morrie and Whit were great. Especially that last one before they stumble upon Tasha (who just happens to be at Wonderworld...hmm). I want them to continue with these amazing conversations I thoroughly love them \:D/ Morrie and Whit could be better foils than Blackgaard and Whit; who knows? I realize that sounds like a bold statement, but Whit and Blackgaard ended up being enemies more so than foils. The scene where Morrie and Whit are walking to Wonderworld...that scene encapsulates the definition of literary foils.

I have so many more thoughts, but I'm going to stop now.
raspberryripple
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by raspberryripple »

I don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but
I kind of hope that it’s revealed in Part 3 that Morrie is lying about Suzu and actually is the main mastermind himself. I just don’t want him shifting blame off himself or setting himself up for a quick redemption arc. Buck was a character that felt like he was a villain mainly because of outside circumstances and a lack of religious influence; and he had a pretty quick redemption, but it felt organic. I don’t want Morrie to be all ”Oh yes, me and my sister have been behind all the weird stuff going on, but that’s just because we constantly play these devious games with each other but this time our main focus has been your Christian values, and actually can we have some of that for ourselves, please?” ......if that makes any kind of sense. Also I was so happy to hear from Tasha at the end because 1. IT’S TASHA FORBES :bounce: and also 2. it implies that there is STILL more “revelations” to come. Which is super satisfying because I was starting to worry that the main “big reveals” were going to be that Suzu was involved and that they were doing this to test Christian values. :-k :-k :-k
Jay_Smouse
Not as new

Post by Jay_Smouse »

I really hope that the "secret" that Whit found unsettling in Writer's Rus and the fact that Tasha Forbes was there in Japan with them, and is now in Odyssey (did she just get here, or has she been spying on the Rydells the whole time?) point to something much bigger behind this that expands after Part 3 in more episodes. I hope the part of the Rydell Saga that they said would be wrapped up soon back on the Official Podcast is just why and how Morrie and Suzu did what they did. Then there's some big thing that ties in to Tasha and Japan and the Embassy. Because, really, so far they would never have needed to live in Japan. There must be some reason (maybe just Suzu is Japanese) that they lived in Japan.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

Jay_Smouse wrote:I really hope that the "secret" that Whit found unsettling in Writer's Rus and the fact that Tasha Forbes was there in Japan with them, and is now in Odyssey (did she just get here, or has she been spying on the Rydells the whole time?) point to something much bigger behind this that expands after Part 3 in more episodes. I hope the part of the Rydell Saga that they said would be wrapped up soon back on the Official Podcast is just why and how Morrie and Suzu did what they did. Then there's some big thing that ties in to Tasha and Japan and the Embassy. Because, really, so far they would never have needed to live in Japan. There must be some reason (maybe just Suzu is Japanese) that they lived in Japan.
I hope we find out exactly what Morrie was doing at the embassy. What was it? Hacking Applesauce? :lol: But seriously, Tasha is here so that question will be probably answered. She must be investigating Morrie because of what happened at the embassy. Otherwise, her presence doesn't make sense.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:I don't know if this holds up, but I have a theory about Whit's behavior. We know that Whit has known about the Rydells even before Morrie's birth (which is honestly insane. A little contrived, but I can't specifically fault this episode without faulting many other aio episodes). Whit is very aware of Morrie's intellect when he comes to Odyssey. Whit knows that if he tells Morrie that he knew his father, Morrie would immediately distance himself from Whit and would be very suspicious of him. Whit doesn't want that. So he keeps quiet about his extensive knowledge of the Rydell family. In order for Whit to keep a close eye on Morrie, he has to keep this information to himself. I can reconcile that plot point. If you think about it, it makes sense. But what doesn't make sense to me is that Whit allowed Morrie to continue performing crimes and schemes around Odyssey. He probably was aware of the student elections, the locker incident, the writer's ruse (obviously), and possibly the drama club. You'd think Whit would step in after "A Sacrificial Escape", especially since Morrie is wandering freely about Whit's End in "Further from the Truth." It is only when Morrie specifically comes to Whit making the claim Emily kidnapped Suzu that Whit intervenes, even if he thinks Emily should be the one to solve the mystery. I think it's kinda messy. Maybe we'll get more in part 3 to reconcile this information. I hope. But part 3 is already going to be packed, so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't addressed. I think Phil Lollar is a brilliant writer and I'm really impressed with what he's done so far. But I kinda think the writers wrote themselves into a wall and a few plot holes are to be expected.
I think you're spot on here. It seems very unlike Whit to allow this to go on when in the past he's intervened for much lesser things. I would be a tiny bit more alright with it if he gives Emily a chonker of an apology when this is all wrapped up.
Monica Stone wrote:
Jay_Smouse wrote:I really hope that the "secret" that Whit found unsettling in Writer's Rus and the fact that Tasha Forbes was there in Japan with them, and is now in Odyssey (did she just get here, or has she been spying on the Rydells the whole time?) point to something much bigger behind this that expands after Part 3 in more episodes. I hope the part of the Rydell Saga that they said would be wrapped up soon back on the Official Podcast is just why and how Morrie and Suzu did what they did. Then there's some big thing that ties in to Tasha and Japan and the Embassy. Because, really, so far they would never have needed to live in Japan. There must be some reason (maybe just Suzu is Japanese) that they lived in Japan.
I hope we find out exactly what Morrie was doing at the embassy. What was it? Hacking Applesauce? :lol: But seriously, Tasha is here so that question will be probably answered. She must be investigating Morrie because of what happened at the embassy. Otherwise, her presence doesn't make sense.
Yeah! I think Tasha showing up is not only exciting because she's very neat and it's been so long since we've heard from her but also because, like you guys have said, it's a guarantee that something else is happening that we don't know about. But uh....we still only got one part left... :anxious: Phil, I believe in you buddy.
raspberryripple wrote:I don’t want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but
I kind of hope that it’s revealed in Part 3 that Morrie is lying about Suzu and actually is the main mastermind himself. I just don’t want him shifting blame off himself or setting himself up for a quick redemption arc. Buck was a character that felt like he was a villain mainly because of outside circumstances and a lack of religious influence; and he had a pretty quick redemption, but it felt organic. I don’t want Morrie to be all ”Oh yes, me and my sister have been behind all the weird stuff going on, but that’s just because we constantly play these devious games with each other but this time our main focus has been your Christian values, and actually can we have some of that for ourselves, please?” ......if that makes any kind of sense. Also I was so happy to hear from Tasha at the end because 1. IT’S TASHA FORBES :bounce: and also 2. it implies that there is STILL more “revelations” to come. Which is super satisfying because I was starting to worry that the main “big reveals” were going to be that Suzu was involved and that they were doing this to test Christian values. :-k :-k :-k
For sure though. To be honest, I would love it if Morrie was innocent or not the mastermind, but it just wouldn't make sense at all with the context of the last few episodes. Also, I don't mind the whole 'testing of the Christian values' I guess but dang, Morrie and Suzu went hard.
Monica Stone wrote: Oh my goodness, the scenes between Morrie and Whit were great. Especially that last one before they stumble upon Tasha (who just happens to be at Wonderworld...hmm). I want them to continue with these amazing conversations I thoroughly love them \:D/ Morrie and Whit could be better foils than Blackgaard and Whit; who knows? I realize that sounds like a bold statement, but Whit and Blackgaard ended up being enemies more so than foils. The scene where Morrie and Whit are walking to Wonderworld...that scene encapsulates the definition of literary foils.
Yes though?? I have gained many more years of life from this scene. I hadn't thought of that but you are super right about the foils! This one of the reasons why I wish Whit had more involvement with the Rydells before this point :lol:
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote: I think you're spot on here. It seems very unlike Whit to allow this to go on when in the past he's intervened for much lesser things. I would be a tiny bit more alright with it if he gives Emily a chonker of an apology when this is all wrapped up.
In the first scene, it felt refreshing that Whit was wrong about Morrie when he vehemently disbelieved Morrie about the kidnapping. It's understandable that Whit would disbelieve Morrie, considering everything, but it shows his humanity. He's not always right.

But Whit in the rest of the episode... :anxious:

Upon relistening several times, I realized that not only did Whit not intervene after "A Sacrificial Escape", I'm pretty sure he knew about the escape room plot before it happened. Maybe he didn't know exactly what would happen, but he knew there was something nefarious happening. (this is out of context, but I believe he said, "Do you really think I don't know what goes on in my building?") I'll go back and listen to see if I'm correct, but if that's the case...I am sorely unimpressed with Whit's actions. The only way I will be happy with this aspect is if they address and deal with this. I want to see a guilt-stricken Whit after this. I want to see Whit feel terrible about letting all of this happen and seeing the affects in Emily, Morrie, and others because he allowed it to continue for so long. If the episode(s) are upfront and address that Whit made bad decisions, I will like this episode more. If not... :boohoo:

Morrie has brought out the good in Emily, Matthew, and Olivia. But perhaps he's brought out the bad in Whit.
MonkeyDude wrote:I don't mind the whole 'testing of the Christian values' I guess but dang, Morrie and Suzu went hard.
That's why I don't completely buy their motives yet. I hope part 3 will elaborate more on that, but for now, I am unsatisfied. It's too much for two children to do all of that just to see if Christians are moralistic hypocrites. Suzu, at least, must have other motives. Kidnapping Emily to "one-up" Morrie is just dumb on Suzu's part. And I don't quite buy that Suzu kidnapped Emily. I think there was someone else (an adult) either helping Suzu, or kidnapping them both.
MonkeyDude wrote:
Monica Stone wrote: Oh my goodness, the scenes between Morrie and Whit were great. Especially that last one before they stumble upon Tasha (who just happens to be at Wonderworld...hmm). I want them to continue with these amazing conversations I thoroughly love them \:D/ Morrie and Whit could be better foils than Blackgaard and Whit; who knows? I realize that sounds like a bold statement, but Whit and Blackgaard ended up being enemies more so than foils. The scene where Morrie and Whit are walking to Wonderworld...that scene encapsulates the definition of literary foils.
Yes though?? I have gained many more years of life from this scene. I hadn't thought of that but you are super right about the foils! This one of the reasons why I wish Whit had more involvement with the Rydells before this point :lol:
I dunno, I think that might have been my favorite scene in the episode. Even if the moral was basic and standard to many saga episodes, that scene gave me alot to think about. It was splendid. If they can do more Whit/Morrie foil episodes, I would love that to pieces. Morrie is someone who can actually challenge Whit and I can't even put into words how much I dig that.
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote:Morrie has brought out the good in Emily, Matthew, and Olivia. But perhaps he's brought out the bad in Whit.
Definitely agree with everything you said here. Love how you worded that last bit too. It's funny, I've been going through some of the older episodes and I think it's 'Camp What-A-Nut Part 2' where Whit and Donny get lost in the woods and Whit doesn't want Donny to climb a tree because he doesn't want him to get hurt. I know it's not the same and obviously Whit and the writers are going to grow over the course of 30 years but...I don't know. It isn't out of character for Whit to let kids learn on their own sometimes, but if he did know about the escape room, that is inexcusable. Crossing my fingers for part 3.
Monica Stone wrote: That's why I don't completely buy their motives yet. I hope part 3 will elaborate more on that, but for now, I am unsatisfied. It's too much for two children to do all of that just to see if Christians are moralistic hypocrites. Suzu, at least, must have other motives. Kidnapping Emily to "one-up" Morrie is just dumb on Suzu's part. And I don't quite buy that Suzu kidnapped Emily. I think there was someone else (an adult) either helping Suzu, or kidnapping them both.
Yup. For me personally, I think I could actually see Suzu being innocent enough with her intentions and genuinely wanting to understand more about Christianity and how it affects people's actions. I could totally be wrong though and she could be behind it (which would actually make me really happy). But right now with what we know, I think Morrie is the mastermind if there is another motive to their shenanigans (which I'm really, really has there is).
Monica Stone wrote: I dunno, I think that might have been my favorite scene in the episode. Even if the moral was basic and standard to many saga episodes, that scene gave me alot to think about. It was splendid. If they can do more Whit/Morrie foil episodes, I would love that to pieces. Morrie is someone who can actually challenge Whit and I can't even put into words how much I dig that.
Yes please to more Morrie and Whit episodes! The best part about it is Morrie is kinda right though? What we really need is just a messy group therapy session after this for everyone involved. That'd make for good content.
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

I love, love, love these thoughts, all of them. Would any of you want to join me for an initial reaction to Part 3? Here’s a link to Part 1; PM me if you would.
https://aioaudionews.com/2020/07/19/ryd ... and-review
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

MonkeyDude wrote: Definitely agree with everything you said here. Love how you worded that last bit too. It's funny, I've been going through some of the older episodes and I think it's 'Camp What-A-Nut Part 2' where Whit and Donny get lost in the woods and Whit doesn't want Donny to climb a tree because he doesn't want him to get hurt. I know it's not the same and obviously Whit and the writers are going to grow over the course of 30 years but...I don't know. It isn't out of character for Whit to let kids learn on their own sometimes, but if he did know about the escape room, that is inexcusable. Crossing my fingers for part 3.
Yeah, I mean, think about "The Battle, Parts 1-2" where Whit is really worried about Lucy and even closes Whit's End. In this current era of Odyssey, with weird releases and club episodes, I understand that doesn't logistically work as well. And it's always been true that Whit has come up with contrived ways to teach kids a lesson or even just pull an prank, but this...ehh. As I mentioned before, the only way I'll be happy with this is if they acknowledge and deal with Whit's mistakes. Still gonna have to re-listen to part 2 again, and I'll get back to you about if he knew about the escape room or not.
MonkeyDude wrote: For me personally, I think I could actually see Suzu being innocent enough with her intentions and genuinely wanting to understand more about Christianity and how it affects people's actions. I could totally be wrong though and she could be behind it (which would actually make me really happy). But right now with what we know, I think Morrie is the mastermind if there is another motive to their shenanigans (which I'm really, really has there is).
So, I'm not sure if I should trust Morrie or not, but he seems very genuine about his fears. I don't trust Suzu, that's for sure. Even if she didn't kidnap Emily, she is suspicious. I will reiterate here that I need more about Suzu's motivations and I need to know what happened at the embassy.

If this saga's goal is to make me distrust all of the key players, namely Whit, Morrie, Suzu, and even Emily, it's working splendidly. :anxious:
MonkeyDude wrote: What we really need is just a messy group therapy session after this for everyone involved. That'd make for good content.
Yes, please.
raspberryripple
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by raspberryripple »

I was re-listening to The Key Suspect today, and it really doesn’t make sense that Suzu was behind that. In the end of the episode Emily and Matthew accuse Suzu, and she brings up something like, “If I was opening the lockers from the beginning why would I need to buy the key blanks yesterday” and I don’t think that’s fitting with her being behind it. Also E & M point out that if one person were opening all those lockers alone with a key, they’d need about 5 hours of time. They even said in the episode that the lockers were either being opened in a different way or “the suspect has a bunch of people working with them.”
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Monica Stone wrote: So, I'm not sure if I should trust Morrie or not, but he seems very genuine about his fears. I don't trust Suzu, that's for sure. Even if she didn't kidnap Emily, she is suspicious. I will reiterate here that I need more about Suzu's motivations and I need to know what happened at the embassy.

If this saga's goal is to make me distrust all of the key players, namely Whit, Morrie, Suzu, and even Emily, it's working splendidly. :anxious:
Ah, for sure though! I really can't wait to hear Suzu's motives and just more about her character in general.
Monica Stone wrote:
MonkeyDude wrote: What we really need is just a messy group therapy session after this for everyone involved. That'd make for good content.
Yes, please.
I'll get right on that :lol:
raspberryripple wrote:I was re-listening to The Key Suspect today, and it really doesn’t make sense that Suzu was behind that. In the end of the episode Emily and Matthew accuse Suzu, and she brings up something like, “If I was opening the lockers from the beginning why would I need to buy the key blanks yesterday” and I don’t think that’s fitting with her being behind it. Also E & M point out that if one person were opening all those lockers alone with a key, they’d need about 5 hours of time. They even said in the episode that the lockers were either being opened in a different way or “the suspect has a bunch of people working with them.”
I agree. I'm more than willing to believe Suzu had a hand in all the other incidents but it really doesn't make sense for her to be involved in this one.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Maybe the real reason that Tasha is back is because she's trying to get Jillian away from Jason. ;)

Seriously though, even though I liked hearing her back, I wish it wasn't a tie back to another saga. I was hoping the Rydell Saga would stand out on its own like Blackgaard, Novacom, and the Green Ring Conspiracy.
Jay_Smouse
Not as new

Post by Jay_Smouse »

Monica Stone wrote:I want to see a guilt-stricken Whit after this. I want to see Whit feel terrible about letting all of this happen and seeing the affects in Emily, Morrie, and others because he allowed it to continue for so long. If the episode(s) are upfront and address that Whit made bad decisions, I will like this episode more. If not... :boohoo:
Yes, that would be very interesting! I hope things go either of two ways:
1. There is someone bigger behind this somehow forcing Morrie and Suzu to do these things, probably including the things back at the embassy.
2. Exactly how Morrie said it: he just wanted to see if Christians would actually practice what they preach so that Suzu wouldn't get sucked into some nonsense. (I put forth a very similar theory in the Rydell Saga thread before TRR released)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

so I haven't listened to AIO in around 5 years...I think after The Ties that Bind or so, what's the basic TL;DR of major events that have happened? :anxious:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Marvin D. wrote:so I haven't listened to AIO in around 5 years...I think after The Ties that Bind or so, what's the basic TL;DR of major events that have happened? :anxious:
I probably forgot some stuff. I figure you probably don't mind but maaaajor spoilers.
Penny and Wooten have a long complicated relationship arc which ends in them getting married. Whit has some health issues but the show kinda forgets about that after a while. Connie's half-sister Jules comes to live with her in Odyssey. Eugene and Katrina foster Buck after he gets out of juvenile detention. Tom is officially confirmed to have passed away. A new kid named Morrie moves to town with his sister Suzu from Japan and they bring a lot of strange things with them, earning the interest of Emily. Connie gets a new roommate who will go unnamed because she is the worst-. There's some Buck drama and Mr. Skint comes back and Buck learns about his family while consecutively choosing his new one. A military family, the Perkins, struggles with aspects of that particular lifestyle. The mysterious occurrence around town suddenly peek after Emily and Matthew get trapped in an escape room and supposedly have fight for their lives. Leading to the present album, Mr. Whittiker investigates Morrie, Emily and Suzu get kidnapped, and Jules might have to go back home.