380 & 381: The One About Trust, Part 1 & 2 I AM SO CONFUSED

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

380 & 381: The One About Trust, Part 1 & 2 I AM SO CONFUSED

Post by Pianoman »

Ok. This is an old two parter but it still really confuses me. And I don't mean Margaret's sudden change to villain, or why she was contacted by a random disgruntled employee from Chicago, or why a "2" class is held in the fall semester... I mean the money aspect.

My siblings and i listened to this on a 3 hr car ride and argued about it most of the way. Maybe someone else can help solve the problems for me.

The deposit slip Doris gets from Eugene- is that from his paycheck or is it from the Whit's End cash? I always assumed the latter, but my brother claimed it was actually Eugene's paycheck stub- BECAUSE they call it a paycheck stub when you wouldn't get a paycheck stub from a money deposit. And there clearly would be a difference between a paycheck stub and a deposit receipt in the first place, at least there is in my experience.

How did Connie find the "three times as much" information /unless/ Eugene REALLY IS paid three times more?

If that's so, that means Whit is stealing 2/3 of Connies paycheck!?! Even if he's putting it in a trust fund, it is still stealing from her current wage. Why couldn't she put the money in the bank herself? And why is it called a "bonus" by Tom if it really is just her wages?

I've almost concluded that this episode just doesn't make any sense... Maybe someone can help me!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was actually just thinking about this episode the other day myself for this exact same reason! I have the same question as you - it never really quite made sense. I haven't listened in a while, so maybe there's some kind of nuance that I missed. I remember Whit telling Connie that her mom knew about the money being set aside, and since it started when she was younger, maybe it was more of a sin of omission, where they didn't tell her later like they should have, but it isn't really presented like that. I think it just might be one of those things where it could have been written a little differently, if multiple hardcore fans have the same question. :anxious:
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

It's been so long since I listened to these that I forget how all the exact details come into play, but I do remember always being confused by them.
In general, I sometimes think that the AIO writers go a little overboard with their allegories and using Whit to represent God. Sometimes I think it works well (e.g., "A Bite of Applesauce," or "The Last Shall Be First"), but I think this is one of those situations where the comparison just doesn't hold up. Obviously, we have to trust that God is good even when we don't fully understand His actions; however, this seems like a far cry from an employer-employee situation, where all evidence points to the employer withholding money from one employee and/or grossly overpaying another employee.

And also yeah, the explanation was clunky and I never understood it either. :anxious:
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I'm glad it's not just me! Actually, that's what I thought too, Catspaw, and then Tom says "unbeknownst to the girl or her mother." So, neither of them knew. o_0

Hmm, I never really thought this was a "Whit is God situation," there are only a few times I actually feel that is the allegory in the episode (Between You and Me). It essentially is just a trust issue, in general... and since Whit is practically Connie's Grandpa, if not Dad, it mostly suits... I mean, the point of the episode is to talk to people instead of disowning them right away, and also that old white guys never discriminate because of gender. *nods*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My understanding is Connie wasn't being payed less in total it was just that part of her payment was going into the fund rather than to her directly.
If that's the case though you're right it wouldn't be a bonus. :-k
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Isaiah the Ox wrote: Hmm, I never really thought this was a "Whit is God situation," there are only a few times I actually feel that is the allegory in the episode (Between You and Me). It essentially is just a trust issue, in general... and since Whit is practically Connie's Grandpa, if not Dad, it mostly suits... I mean, the point of the episode is to talk to people instead of disowning them right away, and also that old white guys never discriminate because of gender. *nods*
You're probably right. It's been a few years since I heard those episdoes and I was just going off what I remembered about them.
I guess the bottom line for me about the whole thing is that Whit can give his money away however he sees fit, but he should probably keep it separate from the paychecks. :p

Also someone needs to sign me up for a job where my boss pays my tuition for me. :(