631: A Capsule Comes To Town

Post your reviews here!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

star star star star star
23%
star star star star
32%
star star star
27%
star star
14%
star
5%

Total votes: 44

shasta
My posts are revolutionary

Post by shasta »

Note that Stuart Shepard plays himself in this episode. He is the host of Focus on the Family's online video show called Stoplight.

I can't say I much enjoyed this episode. I felt like the NPR format really sucked the energy out of Odyssey. Like, the bit where a list of old items are pulled out of the capsule... this is entertaining?

Interesting thing to try, I guess. But I look forward to 11 episodes that will return us to Adventures in Odyssey as we know and love it.

Great to hear Edwin Blackgaard, Cryin' Bryan Dern, Philip Glossman, Margaret Faye and such a varied cast. So I gave it 3 stars.

peace,
-king shasta
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

shasta wrote:
I can't say I much enjoyed this episode. I felt like the NPR format really sucked the energy out of Odyssey. Like, the bit where a list of old items are pulled out of the capsule... this is entertaining?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I haven't even listened to this episode all the way through yet for this very reason. I have tried like 5 or 6 times so far, but the format is so boring that soon my mind will be drifting off to other things. I'll hear familiar voices once in awhile and I'll try to force myself to tune in again, but apparently it hasn't worked, because I keep restarting the episode over and over again to try and listen yet another time. I'm not going to rate it yet because I honestly haven't listened to enough to even tell you what happens :-s

I am very excited about the rest of the season, and I liked the characters that I did hear....but this episode reminded me of Down Gilead Lane. I can't quite put my finger on it, but normally AIO grabs my attention and I'll relisten to episodes with ease. I can finish an episode while performing other tasks, and still remember what the episode was about. I've tried listening to Down Gilead Lane and I just can't push through. My mind tunes out and when the episode ends....I can't really tell you what had just happened. This AIO episode did exactly the same thing, but like I said...I can't quite pinpoint why. I don't think this is the fault of the script, but something about the production and the way the music/sounds effects are used. I know they were trying to make this seem different than an average AIO episode, but in my mind it has fallen extremely flat. I am still going to force myself to listen to it with all my concentration soon though!!!
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

I can't really say much about this episode, since I only listened to it once, and I was busy working on my novels at the time, so it was mostly just in the background. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it did tend to drone on, at least to me. I'll have to listen to it again before I give it a final grade, though.
shasta wrote:Note that Stuart Shepard plays himself in this episode. He is the host of Focus on the Family's online video show called Stoplight.
As soon as I heard his voice, I knew it was him! That was just so awesome to me. It'd be so cool to hear him again. :3
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Taq wrote:Since I want to go into the pharmaceutical field and am generally a word nerd, I liked the pun on the word capsule (time capsule/medicine capsule) via Harlow's misunderstanding.
Oh, is that what he was on about? I thought it was something like smelling the dried paint on the capsule was going to rid him of his allergies...? Yeah, I don't think that makes sense either... :anxious:
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Jessicado wrote:I haven't even listened to this episode all the way through yet for this very reason. I have tried like 5 or 6 times so far, but the format is so boring that soon my mind will be drifting off to other things.
That happened to me with Fairy Tal-e-vision. I felt like a traitor to AIO, haha.
Smaug the dragon wrote:
Taq wrote:Since I want to go into the pharmaceutical field and am generally a word nerd, I liked the pun on the word capsule (time capsule/medicine capsule) via Harlow's misunderstanding.
Oh, is that what he was on about? I thought it was something like smelling the dried paint on the capsule was going to rid him of his allergies...? Yeah, I don't think that makes sense either... :anxious:
I think that Harlow thought the time capsule would serve the same purpose as a capsule, a dissolvable casing that holds a dose of medicine. Don't ask me why. Harlow doesn't have to make sense. ;)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

shasta wrote:I can't say I much enjoyed this episode. I felt like the NPR format really sucked the energy out of Odyssey. Like, the bit where a list of old items are pulled out of the capsule... this is entertaining?
Okay, so the NPR thing made me laugh. And I would agree. Though I only listen to Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! News Quiz, I've heard other things on NPR, it did seem like this episode was like that. I think I now know why it was so boring for me. And why I didn't half listen. It was NPR style, for which is boring and droning on and on all on it's own!

Unsure,
Marisol
connies#1fan
Found

Post by connies#1fan »

I really didnt like this episode that much. I just didnt get into it. I think tha t it was just weird not having Chris start the show.

I dont exactly what it was, I just thought that this show was confusing and, and least for me, I could not follow everything. I did like hearing from all of the different people, but I think that it was too many characters if that is possible.
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

When I first listened to this episode, I didn’t like it. With the news report style (quite similar to “It’s A Wrap”), it didn’t seem to have a story or a moral. But as I re-listened, I began to enjoy the episode more. The episode evoked a sense of nostalgia, with the inclusion of characters such as Philip Glossman and Harlow Doyle. I also enjoyed the investigation and search for the time capsule, as well as hearing about the items within it. Additionally, having Mandy and Marvin as the “kid reporters” was fun to hear. And last of all, I appreciated the moral of learning from the past. While the style of this episode was drastically different from normal Odyssey episodes, I think it worked, if just for one episode. Overall, I give it 5 stars. :D
fatlooy
Sing in the sunshine

Post by fatlooy »

I didn’t really like this episode I mean it was ok and In the beginning I got totally confused! But once I figured it out I wasn’t that impressed. It was kind of boring. It wasn’t as good as I expected. But hay the new season has started so it works for me.
I gave it 3 stars.
-Looy
Candy Connell
Zero Wing.
Zero Wing.

Post by Candy Connell »

It was a pretty good episode, it was fun hearing from some classic characters, and some other things like that. However....
I also did not really like the style of narration. What happened to Chris??! I think the plot would have flowed more smoothly if it were a normal episode. But all in all, it was still a good episode. I gave it 4 stars.
serrebi
29K to go!

Post by serrebi »

I really apreciated this lesson. FIve stars! Loved the epp. Loved hearing from some chars we have missed for a while.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

serrebi wrote:I really apreciated this lesson. FIve stars! Loved the epp. Loved hearing from some chars we have missed for a while.
Uhm....what lesson? I kept waiting for them to explain the point and they kept talking in circles.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

Samitude wrote:
serrebi wrote:I really apreciated this lesson. FIve stars! Loved the epp. Loved hearing from some chars we have missed for a while.
Uhm....what lesson? I kept waiting for them to explain the point and they kept talking in circles.
I think the lesson was that Odyssey isnt stuck in the past.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Or that "old fashioned" and "stuck in the past" aren't necessarily bad.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Darcie wrote:Or that "old fashioned" and "stuck in the past" aren't necessarily bad.
Which, if you think about it is actually a really profound message to ponder - especially considering how Christianity is viewed today. Thanks Darcie! \:D/ You've inspired me, and given me a better way to go deeper with this ep. I'll expound on this a bit more in the podcast I think. :D
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

I didn't really like it all that much. I would rate it about 2 stars.

The way it was made it seems(ed) kinda like an old episode. It just didn't really apeal to to me!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Which, if you think about it is actually a really profound message to ponder - especially considering how Christianity is viewed today. Thanks Darcie! \:D/
Exactly what I was meaning. You're welcome! \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Darcie wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:Which, if you think about it is actually a really profound message to ponder - especially considering how Christianity is viewed today. Thanks Darcie! \:D/
Exactly what I was meaning. You're welcome! \:D/
yay for sister twin thingy striking again! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Smaug the dragon wrote:Oh yeah, the absence of Chris really bugged me. [...] it just didn't seem like AIO without her. When the episode ended I was just sitting there waiting for her to come back on and announce the credits and stuff and then there was just nothing! It took me a few seconds to realise she wasn't coming on and then I was just like: "What? What's going on?"
Same here--when the episode started I didn't think too much of it, since AIO has done that sort of thing before, with Chris coming in on the end for the credits. I just thought Stewart introducing it was part of the 'inner show' that they were doing; and appearently parodying--I just didn't know what the original was.

So yes, Chris needs to come back ;)
JesusFreak777 wrote:
Darcie wrote:Or that "old fashioned" and "stuck in the past" aren't necessarily bad.
Which, if you think about it is actually a really profound message to ponder - especially considering how Christianity is viewed today. Thanks Darcie! \:D/
haha, if this had been posted in CCDS, it would've been the biggest can of worms ever opened for me ;)

But yes, that is rather profound.

As for my thoughts, I kinda enjoyed it. Simply because it was something different. Sure, it wasn't 'ground shaking', but hey, it's probably good every episode isn't, right?

Reminded me a lot of It's a Wrap too.

So yeah, aside from the absence of Chris, I liked it. Wouldn't make my top ten, or even top 100, but I can't really say anything bad about it.

Except I want Chris back ;)
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

ACK! I just noticed something! Tom is in this episode! I COMPLETELY glossed over his the first time I listened to it.

*literally gets chills*

Is this still Walker just pasted in like they did Whit for a while? It sounds like him, but at the same time, it sounds a little off...