631: A Capsule Comes To Town

Post your reviews here!

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How do you rate this episode?

star star star star star
23%
star star star star
32%
star star star
27%
star star
14%
star
5%

Total votes: 44

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

631: A Capsule Comes To Town

Post by Trent DeWhite »

So what did you think of the spring season opener? Post your reviews here! \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I thought that it kind of brought back past issues, but at the same time it added some new fun parts to the town. It had me on my toes most of the time, and I thought they used everyone well (like Eugene, Connie, Lucy, and the Mayor).
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Interesting storyline, but the way it was presented was annoying. I have no idea why, it just was. I don't really like the narration, I think that's it.
...I hate marquees.
aiofan1
Lurker

Post by aiofan1 »

I disagree this was a great season premire they treted it well. However it was not what any of us expected, but it didn't have to be. All in all I enjoyed this episode I put a unique spin on Odyssey that I appriciated.
Last edited by aiofan1 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storm
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Storm »

I agree with you J-man, the storyline was okay, but the narration was not the best. This was kind of like the kids radio brodcast that happened right after Whit came back. Also on the official podcast, they said that Chris had been on every single show, I never heard her on this one. It was nice to bring back Harlow doyle. I didn't really like the parts where the characters told the people doing the mike to turn it off. It was a good episode though all in all.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

So is this the first episode that Chris did not wrap?

I thought it was...interesting. I liked hearing Jack, Mayor Faye, and Harlow Doyle. :) I'd say it was an average episode - not REALLY great, but not bad either.

Looking forward to who will be in the rest of the season! \:D/

EDIT: No poll??!!! How can we rate the episode with our traditional stars with no poll?! The world is coming to an end! :mad:

;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Poll added. :D

I think as a season opener it worked in this different style. I was glad it was at the beginning of the season rather than the middle. Fun change from the usual, and I think it'll serve as a good introduction to the overall theme for the rest of the episodes.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

So WHERE was Chris ?

Enjoyed it. We will have to listen to rest of season to see where it will all go. Good to hear from Glossman, Margaret Faye, Jack, and others.
4 stars.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I missed Chris. :(

I agree with J-man; I didn't really enjoy the narration for some reason. It wasn't a special episode, but apart from the narration thing, there wasn't much else I disliked. I enjoyed hearing from Margaret Faye again.

Two and a half stars out of five . \:D/
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

This episode was incredible.
I thought it was vry interesting what the opener was about and how it was worked.
It also gave us more infromationabout Odyssey history.
Ad I would have to say 50 stars
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Mr.Whit wrote:This episode was incredible.
I thought it was vry interesting what the opener was about and how it was worked.
It also gave us more infromationabout Odyssey history.

I agree.=D> I loved hearing some of the history of Odyssey and I really hope we get to hear more.\:D/ 5 stars.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It wasn't bad by any means... but not overly great, either. Just sort of okay. Not that that's a bad thing. It was cool to hear Tom in the beginning... I'm assuming that was audio lifted from another episode.
crosskritters
Fourscore and seven

Post by crosskritters »

I don't think the whole "At Home in My Town" thing quite worked. For one thing, if there were such a show, the locals would not be the ones conducting the interviews. It seemed odd the way the characters were refering to each other and various other things. For example, when Brian Dern was interviewing Glossmen, he asked him something along the lines of "What is it like to live in Odyssey?" Couldn't Dern tell the audience about this just as easily as Glossmen could?? He lives ther too.

I think this format also inhibited the plot. The little scenes that don't advance the plot (like Mandy in Whit's new room) and dialogue in between scenes (no we're going to so-and-so who's interviewing such-and-such) didn't give enough time to have an intriguing story. Reminded me of split eps.

And how can you have AIO w/o Chris?

Another thing that bothered me was I was expecting more of a surprise in the capsule, but maybe that was just me.

<realizes she's been ranting for paragraphs>

It wasn't that bad.

It was good to hear from all those characters. A Whit invention...:-) Pretty good lesson. Original, yet meaningful.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Actually guys, this episode was modeled after a radio show from NPR called This American Life hosted by Ira Glass.

From what I remember of the radio show this ep was very similar to it. This American Life goes around the country to random towns and interviews people, tells their story, or tells the story of a particular place or event as well. The show is broken into sections and is done in narration as well as interviews of the citizens or persons in the show. The show is often full of monologues written by the subject of that weeks show, and while it may not be read by that person (sometimes one of the people from This American Life reads it) what is said is in their original words. The show is also divided up into four parts with Ira Glass introducing each part, just like Stuart Shepherd did in this episode.

Seriously guys, go listen to This American Life and you'll get it.

If you want to take a listen, this episode - which I haven't had time to listen to yet, has the actress that plays AIO's Mrs. Sutton in it.

http://thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=281

I loved this AIO ep and you will get more from me in the UAIO Podcast sometime soon! \:D/

EDIT THe actress that plays Edith is in the Second Segment of the show. :)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I really enjoyed this episode, it was very different. Unlike some, I thought the narration was cool, although I don't paticularly like Connie's part... yeah, so great episode, definately a good start to the neew season!

4.5 stars! (I just gave it 5)

Oh yeah, the absence of Chris really bugged me. Usually I find her over cheery attitude annoying but it just didn't seem like AIO without her. When the episode ended I was just sitting there waiting for her to come back on and announce the credits and stuff and then there was just nothing! It took me a few seconds to realise she wasn't coming on and then I was just like: "What? What's going on?"

Yeah, so, that turned out longer than I expected and seems rather pointless... er...

*Cough*

Good episode...
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I must admit, I was a bit disappointed in the whole show. It just...I don't know, didn't seem right a guess. Really the only thing I enjoyed was hearing from all the classic characters. :anxious: But, I'm sure the rest of the season will be great! \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I've only been able to listen once, and sadly, I didn't pay too much attention. Maybe I shouldn't be reviewing. But for what I did here:

From the beginning, I wasn't even sure it was AIO. I didn't understand it very well, and I don't think they did too well on it. I was confused half the time, and couldn't pick out half the characters by their voices. And then I heard Glossman. I was soo surprised and confused at that. I thought Paul McKusker never wanted to be a voice in Odyssey again. He didn't like Glossman or something. From what I've heard. It sure surprised me.

It was an interesting episode though. Let's see how the rest of this season goes. Since it continues, this should be interesting. It's like DBD. I don't know how they'll pull it off. I'm going to wait to hear it a second time to rate it. If I did now, it would be a 2. Maybe listening again will help me understand better.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Actually guys, this episode was modeled after a radio show from NPR called This American Life hosted by Ira Glass.

From what I remember of the radio show this ep was very similar to it. This American Life goes around the country to random towns and interviews people, tells their story, or tells the story of a particular place or event as well. The show is broken into sections and is done in narration as well as interviews of the citizens or persons in the show. The show is often full of monologues written by the subject of that weeks show, and while it may not be read by that person (sometimes one of the people from This American Life reads it) what is said is in their original words. The show is also divided up into four parts with Ira Glass introducing each part, just like Stuart Shepherd did in this episode.

Seriously guys, go listen to This American Life and you'll get it.

If you want to take a listen, this episode - which I haven't had time to listen to yet, has the actress that plays AIO's Mrs. Sutton in it.

http://thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=281

I loved this AIO ep and you will get more from me in the UAIO Podcast sometime soon! \:D/

EDIT THe actress that plays Edith is in the Second Segment of the show. :)
I knew the format sounded familiar. I haven't listened to this American life since I had to do my audio 3 project that was modeled after it. I have to say it was different and a nice way to open the new season.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Laura Ingalls wrote:So is this the first episode that Chris did not wrap?
Chris doesn't appear anywhere in the two-part episode "A Look Back," although Phil Lollar does mention her.

Anyway, I thought this episode was really good. It was great to hear from so different characters in one episode (Harlow Doyle, Jack Allen, Margaret Faye, Whit, Connie, Eugene, Mandy...) and there was a lot of well-balanced humor. The message was slipped in nicely, as well. A strong storyline is the only thing missing from this show, but everything else was entertaining enough for that not to be a big deal. 4/5.

EDIT: Would someone happen to have the credits for this episode? I remember hearing that Marshal Younger wrote this show, but I'd still like to see the full listing.

Dave
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

A Capsule Comes To Town was okay. Like Darcie, I think it will serve as a good introduction to the rest of the episodes this season.

Since I want to go into the pharmaceutical field and am generally a word nerd, I liked the pun on the word capsule (time capsule/medicine capsule) via Harlow's misunderstanding.