The Thirty-Ninth Town of Odyssey Election

Campaign for mayor and chief of police and earn the support needed to be eligible to run in the election! Only one thread per team please.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
The Thirty-Ninth Town of Odyssey Election

Post by Catspaw »

Everyone,

Welcome to the Thirty-Eighth Town of Odyssey Election campaign! It's been a very long time since the last election, and I'm hoping we'll get a great race for the leadership ring. This board is here to allow citizens (such as yourself) the opportunity to gather supporters for your race to become an administrator of the Town of Odyssey. The titles of Mayor and Chief of Police are up for grabs, along with the privilege of selecting the Town of Odyssey police force (the moderators who watch over different sections of the town). The Mayor/Chief of Police will be responsible for making decisions on how to run the town, as well as performing any and all administration duties that arise. As citizens, it is your responsibility to perform your civic duty and vote in the people you deem the best for the job! This term will last the standard four months.

The hopeful candidates will need to collect a total of 10 private messages of support by the end of the day on Saturday, January 29. Upon receiving the support, each team will receive a private forum to come up with strategies as well as the option of inviting supporters to join them in their discussions.

As you know, we no longer have a financial way to have users gather support, so we need a new way, hence the need for private messages indicating support.

Once you have a team and share your thread, supporters will need to send me a PM stating at least one reason as to why they are supporting the specific candidates. It does not mean that person is required to vote for that party. Just like making a donation, people can always change their mind and vote differently, or support more than one team. It does mean that a team has to have some amount of support. A person could theoretically offer support to more than one team if they see merits/potential in more than one.

Since this is new, this explanation may not have covered all potential questions or nuances, so please post your questions and I'll answer in this thread and update this first post as needed for clarification.

The election will take place Friday, February 4 to Sunday, February 6 with the results being revealed at some point during Monday, February 7. Best wishes to all the contestants! I look forward to seeing what will happen in the ToO's latest election season.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

DA POWER PAWS FOREVEH! :protest:

snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | AIO T-Shirts |
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

snubs wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:03 pm

DA POWER PAWS FOREVEH! :protest:

Im not even sure where to start with that. I doubt that people will run. But, I hope to be proven wrong.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yo everyone send in your support for me! \:D/
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 pm The hopeful candidates will need to collect a total of 10 private messages of support by the end of the day on Friday, January 29.
The 29th is Saturday. :-
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bren wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:59 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 pm The hopeful candidates will need to collect a total of 10 private messages of support by the end of the day on Friday, January 29.
The 29th is Saturday. :-
Oops, I must have looked at the calendar wrong. I'll change it to Saturday in the original post. Thanks for the heads up, Bren.
Patterson
Processing

Post by Patterson »

Sorry, editing my original post. So to clarify, Snubs and The Top Crusader are running so far? I goofed and thought The Powerpaws was supporting Catspaw on my original post. A little looking through old topics clarified that The Power Paws was Snub's administration. It was kind of confusing for a relative newbie.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob
I'm not Gabe

Post by Bob »

Catspaw is dictator-for-life, an unelected position.

"Power Paws" is the name of the incumbent council that was elected in the 38th election: snubs, Kaida, and Eugene.

EDIT: But you already figured that out. ;)

If anyone was actually running, they'd start an election thread.

Top has been appointed admin enough times that he's probably not serious about wanting to run. I'm pretty confident snubs isn't running; her post should be taken more as advocacy for the recognition of the superior qualities of her administration, and also for the idea that it should persist (indefinitely, and plausibly without having to be re-elected at all).
Last edited by Bob on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Patterson
Processing

Post by Patterson »

Bob wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:08 pm Catspaw is dictator-for-life, an unelected position.

"Power Paws" is the name of the incumbent council that was elected in the 38th election: snubs, Kaida, and Eugene.
Okay, that makes more sense. Thanks!
Bob wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:08 pm
EDIT: But you already figured that out. ;)

If anyone was actually running, they'd start an election thread.

Top has been appointed admin enough times that he's probably not serious about wanting to run. I'm pretty confident snubs isn't running; her post should be taken more as advocacy for the recognition of the superior qualities of her administration, and also for the idea that it should persist (indefinitely, and plausibly without having to be re-elected at all).
Oh, Thanks for having some pity on poor confused me. #-o I'm pretty bad at this whole communication thing sometimes.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I can see how it could be confusing, Patterson. I remember when I first joined the TownHall, which was an AIO message board that was kind of a precursor to this one, and there was a user named Continental Admiral with a Ronald Regan avatar, so I just assumed that it was a guy. Oops. Not so much. ;) It can take time to get used to all the crazy people and jokes on a board like this with so much history.
Catspaw is dictator-for-life, an unelected position.
Bob, this is now my preferred description of my role on the ToO. It's all true. O:)
Bob
I'm not Gabe

Post by Bob »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 pm Once you have a team and share your thread, supporters will need to send me a PM stating at least one reason as to why they are supporting the specific candidates.

Since this is new, this explanation may not have covered all potential questions or nuances, so please post your questions and I'll answer in this thread and update this first post as needed for clarification.
In the old system, candidates could use their own money (and potentially self-finance their entire campaign). In this system, do candidates need to send in PMs supporting their own campaign?

If not, is it because their support is already counted (so, they need 10 messages minus the number of admin candidates on the team), or because their support doesn't count at all (10 messages, only from other members who are not candidates on their team)?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was wondering that as well.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

If only one team drums up enough support, does that team automatically win the election?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

KODY 105 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 pmIf only one team drums up enough support, does that team automatically win the election?
No, there will be a yes or no ballot. It's happened before.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bob wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 am
Catspaw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:11 pm Once you have a team and share your thread, supporters will need to send me a PM stating at least one reason as to why they are supporting the specific candidates.

In the old system, candidates could use their own money (and potentially self-finance their entire campaign). In this system, do candidates need to send in PMs supporting their own campaign?

If not, is it because their support is already counted (so, they need 10 messages minus the number of admin candidates on the team), or because their support doesn't count at all (10 messages, only from other members who are not candidates on their team)?
Good question. I require ten messages from people who are not part of the admin team running for office. I think that if a team can't get that much support, it's a sign that it probably won't be a good fit. Since this is the first time we have done this system, that number may be tweaked in the future. I am happy to report that I have received a number of private messages both yesterday and today!
bookworm wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:41 pm
KODY 105 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 pmIf only one team drums up enough support, does that team automatically win the election?
No, there will be a yes or no ballot. It's happened before.
Thanks bookworm, this is correct.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Catspaw wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 pm
Bob wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 amIn the old system, candidates could use their own money (and potentially self-finance their entire campaign). In this system, do candidates need to send in PMs supporting their own campaign?

Good question. I require ten messages from people who are not part of the admin team running for office. I think that if a team can't get that much support, it's a sign that it probably won't be a good fit. Since this is the first time we have done this system, that number may be tweaked in the future. I am happy to report that I have received a number of private messages both yesterday and today!
Oh, so the 10 PM's I sent in support of myself don't count? :(
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | AIO T-Shirts |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

snubs wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:32 pm
Catspaw wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 pm
Bob wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 amIn the old system, candidates could use their own money (and potentially self-finance their entire campaign). In this system, do candidates need to send in PMs supporting their own campaign?

Oh, so the 10 PM's I sent in support of myself don't count? :(
They count towards the joy in my heart, not to mention my ego, when I see the long list of privates messages all for me! \:D/

Seriously, yesterday when I logged in and saw I had a bunch of PMs, I was thinking, "Oh no, what's wrong?!" and then I realized it was a good thing. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Top has been appointed admin enough times that he's probably not serious about wanting to run.
Good point, I do prefer to gain power WITHOUT a fair election. :yes:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:38 am

Top has been appointed admin enough times that he's probably not serious about wanting to run.
Good point, I do prefer to gain power WITHOUT a fair election. :yes:
I strongly encourage this method! \:D/ Even the one time I was Chief of Police (back in term 2) I got in without being part of the election process or ballot. O:)

I've received a number of private messages of support for both teams. However, neither team has reached ten at this point, so please send your message in by the end of the day tomorrow if you are planning to do so but just haven't got around to it yet.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Sounds like crunch time.

*goes to register an account in Bella's name* O:)
ImageImageImage
logos linked

Return to “The Thirty-Ninth Town of Odyssey Election”