Snow!

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." ~Isaiah 9:6
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Snow!

Post by bookworm »

I woke up to see snow falling today! Not much, it's mostly rain, but there are definitely flakes in there.

The forecasts had a real possibility of a white Christmas this year, which is extremely unusual. There has never been one here in my lifetime (and probably still won't be, even if this rain turns completely to snow it won't accumulate in the current conditions) it is rare for us to get one snowfall a year, and if it happens it's never until very late into Winter, so this is something really out of the ordinary!
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

Yay, that's happy!

It's warm and sunny here today, and this is actually the longest time in decades that our area has gone without measurable snowfall. I'm not complaining by any means, but the warm weather we've been having makes it not really feel like Christmas.
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Nothing came of it; soon after I posted the snow and rain both stopped falling and it was clear all the rest of the day, but all of a sudden right now there is snow really coming down steadily! Pure snow. If any accumulates it's going to just miss being a white Christmas because it's not sticking yet, but depending on how long it lasts there's a good chance we wake up to see some amount on the ground tomorrow morning. And in any case we at least had genuine Christmas snow for the first time ever now. (I wasn't going to count what happened this morning, it was so brief and mostly rain, but what's happening right now is the real deal!)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sounds like great timing on the snow, bookworm! Enjoy. :D

I definitely have a white Christmas outside my window. It just wouldn't seem right otherwise.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

A light dusting actually built up before I went to sleep so we did in fact, briefly, actually have a white Christmas! I really can't believe it, that's something I never thought I would experience. At least unless I eventually was somewhere else for Christmas at some time in my life.

Woke up today to see several inches accumulated, snow still falling, and forecast saying it will only start coming down even more as the day goes on. I can't emphasize how bizarrely abnormal this is.
Patterson
Processing

Post by Patterson »

I've been out plowing snow with the tractor for most of the week. The backblade on it got bent and can't handle the heavy wet stuff so I've had to plow using the bucket a lot more than I'm used to. Really tired of snow myself. I've heard people say the heavy snowfall helps the huckleberry bushes have more berries in the summer though.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

This Christmas was one of the most snow free ones I've ever had. Got up to the high 50s on Dec 15th which melted most of the foot and a half that was dumped on us four days later. The rest melted on Christmas Eve, and it snowed again on the 24th. But a majority of the snow was gone for Christmas.
I loved it, and want a brown Christmas every year.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

No snow here. I have always mildly appreciated snow, so it's never been a big deal to me if it snows over Christmas (or Christmas break).
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Patterson
Processing

Post by Patterson »

I sure had miserable day plowing yesterday. We got another 8 inches of the stupid stuff. The tractor battery died and I spent most the day trying to get it charged with a finicky charger. When dad came home from work we removed the dead battery and started the tractor with a battery that was too big to actually fit under the tractor hood. That meant the headlights would kill the tractor while it was running with no battery atttached and it was dark. I duct taped a couple flashlights onto the tractor so I could see what I was doing and started plowing in the dark and in the rain. The tractor died again on me right as I was almost done and I had to carry the huge old battery a ways out to it and start it. Ya see between my folks and my grandparents we have 3 longish driveways to plow and we try to keep the driveways of a couple of elderly neighbors plowed too. I finished around 8:30 pm. Today It's raining so hard we figured plowing was a lost cause. Sorry for my whining.
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, that does sound like a miserable day, Patterson. I think anyone would be frustrated with that. I love the ingenuity of using duct tape and flashlights to solve the headlight issue! It's so kind of your family to take care of others as well as yourselves!

8 inches of snow and then rain right after sounds likely lousy weather indeed!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

We finally got snow in this area! I played outside in it on Sunday afternoon. And I've had my fill of snow for a year, and probably several years really.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, there seems to be a lot of snow going around in a lot of areas. I got five inches or so in my area today, and I know some places got way more.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I went up to Virginia to visit my family this past weekend...they got about 8 inches. It was so fun to be out in the snow and see my kids' reaction to it! \:D/ They aren't used to a sizable amount of snow, being Georgia kids. :D

I did totally wear out while trying to help shovel. My word, am I out of shape. :-#
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Fun! That's great, Laura. I hope you all had a great visit. I'm sure your kids were super cute with all that snow! Shoveling is hard work, that's for sure. Teach the kids - they have way more energy than us adults anyway. ;)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I secured the teenager across the street from me to shovel my angled driveway should the need arise. But thankfully, I didn't have any go anywhere before the snow and ice abated on its own. But it would have been a worthy $15.

I was worn out from just trudging up the roadway hill to sled down it; I wasn't going to be interested in shoveling any snow. And man, I'm way out of shape too. (I was helping somebody move on Saturday before the snow hit, and that wore me out more than any previous move operation has. Getting old isn't for sissies!)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Well, since KODY was brave enough to be honest, I will be too. I also pay someone to shovel my driveway. :anxious: What can I say? I'm lazy. I like to call it "supporting the local economy." O:) I do not like to shovel. I have done it a couple of times since I bought my place a few years ago, but going out late at night or early in the morning to shovel myself out so I can make it off my driveway and get to work really does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Return to “ToO Christmas Celebration 2021”