What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Midnight on the River Grey" by Abigail Wilson. It's very intriguing so far. I'm definitely invested in trying to figure out the mysterious circumstances swirling around!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Collateral Damage, excellent book. Up next for me is The Imposter by Suzanne Woods Fisher. It is the first book in her The Bishop's Family trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just finished "Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey" by Abigail Wilson. It was pretty good. After reading three books by this author, all of them felt like they were good but not quite great.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Imposter, wonderful story! Up next for me is Fragments of Light by Michele Phoenix.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm just starting "The Gentleman Spy" by Erica Vetsch. It looks really good!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Addicted to Hate by John Michael Bell
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That book title was so interesting that I had to look it up, Jonathan. It looks like a tough but worthwhile read. I'd be curious to hear if you would recommend it, Jonathan.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Fragments of Light, absolutely wonderful story! I highly recommend this one. Up next for me is Piecing it All Together by Leslie Gould. It is the first book in her Plain Patterns trilogy/series. It just came in the mail today!!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:That book title was so interesting that I had to look it up, Jonathan. It looks like a tough but worthwhile read. I'd be curious to hear if you would recommend it, Jonathan.
I'd recommend it if you have a reason for reading it. Some of the older ToO members will remember that I had a preoccupation with Westboro and Phelps, and had good reasons for that, so I had a reason to read it, I wanted to see what made this guy tick (I've had a theory for a while, and after reading it I feel vindicated). Some disclaimers: 1. It's an unpublished and unproofread manuscript, so enjoy the errors. 2. While it's a biography it doesn't read like a typical one. It started as a series of articles, and so some chapters deal with themes rather than chronology. It also could have been fleshed out more, as the intent wasn't to write a book (though that might be a pro rather than a con) 3. Phelps lived another twenty years after this was written, so don't read it expecting any info post 1994. 4. There's lots of langauge. 5. It's not a happy book. At all.

So if you have a reason to read it and can deal with all of the above, have it at.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote:
Catspaw wrote:That book title was so interesting that I had to look it up, Jonathan. It looks like a tough but worthwhile read. I'd be curious to hear if you would recommend it, Jonathan.
I'd recommend it if you have a reason for reading it. Some of the older ToO members will remember that I had a preoccupation with Westboro and Phelps, and had good reasons for that, so I had a reason to read it, I wanted to see what made this guy tick (I've had a theory for a while, and after reading it I feel vindicated). Some disclaimers: 1. It's an unpublished and unproofread manuscript, so enjoy the errors. 2. While it's a biography it doesn't read like a typical one. It started as a series of articles, and so some chapters deal with themes rather than chronology. It also could have been fleshed out more, as the intent wasn't to write a book (though that might be a pro rather than a con) 3. Phelps lived another twenty years after this was written, so don't read it expecting any info post 1994. 4. There's lots of langauge. 5. It's not a happy book. At all.

So if you have a reason to read it and can deal with all of the above, have it at.
I didn't expect it would be a happy book. I didn't realize that it was an older book. I do seem to recall you had an interest regarding Westboro. I'm not super invested (not to say that I don't care about the bad name they make for believers) so this doesn't sound like a book I will be reading. I appreciate you sharing info about it, Jonathan. It sounds like it was a good choice for you to read.

I'm reading "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" by J.K. Rowling right now. I usually have a book in hand while I watch hockey (commercial breaks, plus sometimes during play - there will always be a replay if something amazing happens) ;) so I expect to be reading a fair amount of lighter reads in the next couple of months.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:I'm not super invested (not to say that I don't care about the bad name they make for believers)
I might recommend the final chapter then, perhaps the one before that too. It's not a very theological book, but that part of the book does touch on that theme.

Changing the topic, I seem to remember you reading a book earlier this year called "Is God a Moral Monster?" Would you recommend it?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I'm not super invested (not to say that I don't care about the bad name they make for believers)
I might recommend the final chapter then, perhaps the one before that too. It's not a very theological book, but that part of the book does touch on that theme.

Changing the topic, I seem to remember you reading a book earlier this year called "Is God a Moral Monster?" Would you recommend it?
Yes, it was a good read. It definitely added perspective to some tough issues. I wouldn't say that it can answer all questions ever (though if it claimed to do so, that would be a sign of a book that I would assume is trash) ;) but it did provide food for thought and helped me sort through some things in my own head. It's the kind of book to read slowly so you can take time to think about what you're reading.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I just finished The Meaning of Marriage by Tim & Kathy Keller.

I read it on the recommendation of one of my friends. I've tended towards enjoying singleness more than the idea of marriage. I definitely have trust issues that make marriage seem like a bad idea. This book was helpful in making it seem more lovely than I thought of it before. The idea being getting married is about friendship/being best friends and running towards eternity together and I appreciate that. Also, the idea that marriage is done in community, it's not just about the two of you rather it's about the two of you in your community. I've watched a number of my friends' marriages crash and burn because it appeared to me that they treated marriage as we are the only two people in the world who exist and nobody else matters. Marriage is a way to grow. If I don't want to grow or be sanctified, which I think is often the headspace I'm in, I don't think marriage is a good thing to pursue. If I think I'm already good to go and am not willing to humble myself to another's advice and counsel then marriage would probably be better off the table.

I guess all this to say I just want to grow to be more humble so the idea that another person has input into my life is a blessing and not a curse would be good.

We will see what book I finish next. :-k I've been skipping around a lot. I'm starting a new book called Boundaries.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that sounds like a really impactful book. I appreciate how you read a book about marriage as a single person looking for insight. I'm quite happily single (you never know what the future might hold, but I am 35 already...) and value marriage and see lots of good examples around me in friends and family (and a few not quite so great as well) but wouldn't think to purposely choose a book about marriage to read.

If the Boundaries book you're reading is by Henry Cloud and John Townsend, it's a good read. Plenty of practical application.

And after commenting on danadelfos's deep reading choices...I'm about to read "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling. ;) I like to have a book in my hands when I watch hockey, and with the delayed playoffs, I'm enjoyed plenty of hockey time where I can fit it into my other commitments.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Catspaw wrote: If the Boundaries book you're reading is by Henry Cloud and John Townsend, it's a good read. Plenty of practical application.
That's the one! I'm enjoying it so far! One of my mentors recommended it to me. He thought it would be helpful.

I struggle to want to read fiction. It's a problem. :lol: I hope you enjoy "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling! I have only seen the movies. O:)
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

Started reading Fiction Writer's Workshop for school. For regular reading, I haven't really been reading much unless you count the books I am editing. LOL!

ImageImageImageImage
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Piecing It All Together, excellent story. Up next for me is If I Were You by Lynn Austin.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I just finished listening to The Riyria Revelations series on Audible (Heir of Novron is the final installation, with both Wintertide and Percepliquis as books 5 and 6 contained within... it's... confusing :P) I really enjoyed the series! Rather a typical fantasy setting and story, and I anticipated most of the story beats, but the characters were genuinely likeable; the story revolves around a pair of professional thieves and good friends, Royce and Hadrian; who through various twists of fate end up embroiled in a larger story of politics, intrigue and magic. The other characters of the stories are well developed also, but talking about them would involve spoilers.

Anyways, if anyone is looking for some light reading, and enjoys fantasy, a little bit of political intrigue, witty banter, and a kind of irreverant road-trip bromance dynamic, I would recommend the series!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished If I Were You, delightful story!! Up next for me is Beloved Hope by Tracie Peterson. It is the second book in her Heart of the Frontier trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Danadelfos wrote:
Catspaw wrote: If the Boundaries book you're reading is by Henry Cloud and John Townsend, it's a good read. Plenty of practical application.
That's the one! I'm enjoying it so far! One of my mentors recommended it to me. He thought it would be helpful.

I struggle to want to read fiction. It's a problem. :lol: I hope you enjoy "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling! I have only seen the movies. O:)
Oops, I missed your reply earlier. Boundaries are one of those things that are obviously a good idea but can be really challenging to actually do, especially in a loving way. I should dig my copy out again!

I love fiction and regularly choose it over nonfiction. I make an effort to read some biographies and other beneficial non-fiction books and have enjoyed what I have read, but I'll always reach for fiction first. I watched the Harry Potter movies for the very first time about a year ago, and while I really enjoyed them, I thought I was clearly missing out on stuff, so I read the books. Now I'm reading through the series again. The books are (almost) always better than the movies, even when the movies are good, because you get so much more detail.