What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Of Moose and Men: Lost and Found in Alaska" by Torry Martin. Yes, Torry Martin of AIO writer fame. I bought it and started reading it years ago and somehow it got set aside for a reason I no longer remember, and I always meant to finish it but just never did. So now I am! \:D/ His stories are hilarious, and he brings thoughtful spiritual insights to each chapter as well.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:32 pm I'm reading "Of Moose and Men: Lost and Found in Alaska" by Torry Martin. Yes, Torry Martin of AIO writer fame. I bought it and started reading it years ago and somehow it got set aside for a reason I no longer remember, and I always meant to finish it but just never did. So now I am! \:D/ His stories are hilarious, and he brings thoughtful spiritual insights to each chapter as well.
Would you recommend it?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 pm
Catspaw wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:32 pm I'm reading "Of Moose and Men: Lost and Found in Alaska" by Torry Martin. Yes, Torry Martin of AIO writer fame. I bought it and started reading it years ago and somehow it got set aside for a reason I no longer remember, and I always meant to finish it but just never did. So now I am! \:D/ His stories are hilarious, and he brings thoughtful spiritual insights to each chapter as well.
Would you recommend it?
Yes, I would recommend it. I'm not done yet. I've been reading a few chapters each day. There are some hilarious stories, like being trapped in an outhouse by a bird, and stories of God's provision, like the one I read today where he prays for a table and proceeds to have three different people all give him a table - that very same day! I'm really enjoying it.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I'm in the middle of reading Book 4: Rook's Ruse from the Blackgaard Chronicles. It's taken me so long to read it but I'm glad I finally got this book! There is so much background given about Regis and Edwin in it. I read about half the book in about an hour It's a short book.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Peachey Keen wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:03 am I'm in the middle of reading Book 4: Rook's Ruse from the Blackgaard Chronicles. It's taken me so long to read it but I'm glad I finally got this book! There is so much background given about Regis and Edwin in it. I read about half the book in about an hour It's a short book.
I've thought about reading them, with the knowledge that I am a bit above the target age group. ;) It sounds like it's worth a read. Does it fit well with the audio series?
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Catspaw wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:11 pm I've thought about reading them, with the knowledge that I am a bit above the target age group. ;) It sounds like it's worth a read. Does it fit well with the audio series?
They match up really well to the audio drama episodes. They're not always word for word. There are some extra dialogue, some more description, and some entirely new scenes added. They are short books and are for the 8-12 year range but any AIO fan can enjoy these books. If not just for reliving the stories in a new way, it's worth it to get the extra background and scenes.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Catspaw wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 pm Yay! I have done my good deed for the month. ;) It's so wonderful. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I don't know what you've all read by L.M. Montgomery, but if you like her writing, there's lots of good stuff out there. Her short stories are less well known and many of them are very good. There's a huge range in the types of stories.
I would say I've read a decent amount of her work. Definitely most of her book-length stories (Anne, Emily, Story Girl, Magic for Mariogld, Jane of Lantern Hill). I feel like I read the Pat books a long time ago, but I don't remember anything about them, so maybe it's time to read them again. I also have a book of her short stories that I picked up at a library book sale, so maybe it's time to get started on that, too! :D

If you can get your hands on it, L. M. Montgomery wrote a very short little memoir called The Alpine Path. I really enjoyed the first half or so of the memoir, which was mostly her recollections of her childhood. The second half largely consisted of diary entries that she chose to share, which were interesting, but not quite as good as the first part of the book. I think that the memoir itself was published serially, and I got the sense that she just threw in some filler at the end to meet a required number of pages.

Right now, I'm reading Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers. I'm not really hugely into mysteries, but I recently read a biography about Dorothy Sayers's friendship with C. S. Lewis, and it made me want to read some of her work.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Peachey Keen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:38 am
Catspaw wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:11 pm I've thought about reading them, with the knowledge that I am a bit above the target age group. ;) It sounds like it's worth a read. Does it fit well with the audio series?
They match up really well to the audio drama episodes. They're not always word for word. There are some extra dialogue, some more description, and some entirely new scenes added. They are short books and are for the 8-12 year range but any AIO fan can enjoy these books. If not just for reliving the stories in a new way, it's worth it to get the extra background and scenes.
That's great! I appreciate the perspective. I'll have to read them one day. I like the idea of some extra info.
Petrichor wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:26 am
Catspaw wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 pm Yay! I have done my good deed for the month. ;) It's so wonderful. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I don't know what you've all read by L.M. Montgomery, but if you like her writing, there's lots of good stuff out there. Her short stories are less well known and many of them are very good. There's a huge range in the types of stories.
I would say I've read a decent amount of her work. Definitely most of her book-length stories (Anne, Emily, Story Girl, Magic for Mariogld, Jane of Lantern Hill). I feel like I read the Pat books a long time ago, but I don't remember anything about them, so maybe it's time to read them again. I also have a book of her short stories that I picked up at a library book sale, so maybe it's time to get started on that, too! :D

If you can get your hands on it, L. M. Montgomery wrote a very short little memoir called The Alpine Path. I really enjoyed the first half or so of the memoir, which was mostly her recollections of her childhood. The second half largely consisted of diary entries that she chose to share, which were interesting, but not quite as good as the first part of the book. I think that the memoir itself was published serially, and I got the sense that she just threw in some filler at the end to meet a required number of pages.
Yay for a kindred spirit! :hug: I hate it when people say they're a big fan and then are super surprised to find out that there's more than just one Anne book. All the ones you mentioned are all great! I love the Anne books and Emily books, and of course "The Blue Castle," and seeing you mention "Jane of Lantern Hill" makes me want to read it again. I really like the Chronicles of Avonlea books too. If you like LMM enough to read all the books you mentioned, then you'll like her short stories. If you can't find paper copies, they're all available for free online on Gutenberg, and they're definitely on Kindle etc. though they might not be free that way.

I think I read "The Alpine Path" many years ago, but if I did, it was clearly far too long ago if I can't remember for sure. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to find it.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Peachey Keen wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:03 am I'm in the middle of reading Book 4: Rook's Ruse from the Blackgaard Chronicles. It's taken me so long to read it but I'm glad I finally got this book! There is so much background given about Regis and Edwin in it. I read about half the book in about an hour It's a short book.
The background info makes me more excited to read it (got the first five for Christmas). And yeah, they don't take time. The only time I've read an AIO book as an adult was in 2012, on a plane, and I got the whole thing done in that one flight.

edit--Sticking to the purpose of the thread, currently reading Man Up! by Jeffrey Hemmer.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Love Note, beautiful story!! Up next for me is The Brightest Dreams by Susan Anne Mason. It is book 3 of her Canadian Crossings trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Memory Man by David Baldacci
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Brightest of Dreams, excellent book! Up next for me is Cherished Mercy by Tracie Peterson, the third and final book in her Heart of the Frontier trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Can't Help Falling" by Kara Isaac. I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it, and I'm having fun reading it again. I remember a few things but have forgotten some of the details, so there will still be a few surprises for me. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Cherished Mercy, wonderful book. It took me a long time because there was a character in it I did not like. That is good though. It speaks to what a wonderful author Tracie Peterson is.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Close to You" by Kara Isaac. It takes place in New Zealand and is so much fun!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Memories of Glass this morning, very moving story. Up next for me is The Shepard's Wife by Angela Hunt, It is the second book in her Jerusalem Road series/trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Then There Was You" by Kara Isaac. It takes place in Australia, which is cool.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I finished reading "How to Get a Date Worth Keeping" by Dr. Henry Cloud. Overall, I think I have too serious a perspective on dating. Plus, I thought the section on personal growth was good and I needed to hear some of the things that were said. I also like one of his other books called "Boundaries" which I still need to finish..
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Wow, I'm on the same wavelength as you guys! Just finished up Then There Was You a couple weeks ago and Boundaries the other day! \:D/

Currently reading Max Perkins: Editor of Genius. It's a little bit of a slog, if I'm honest, but there are a lot of interesting tidbits about some of the authors Perkins edited (F. Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway, just to name a few).
Last edited by Petrichor on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

The Necron Codex so I can play with my army after I paint them and this hobby doesn't turn into me doing anything but painting tiny pieces of plastic.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)