What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I just finished the Wolfe Brothers Trilogy by Markus Zusak. I really enjoyed it!
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Sparrow wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I'm reading "Magic for Marigold" by L.M. Montgomery. It's one of her lesser-known books, and I'm honestly not sure if I've read the whole thing before or not. :anxious: I think I at least started reading it when I was much younger, and I might have even read the whole thing, but that would have been a very long time ago. I really enjoyed reading the first few chapters today!
I love Magic for Marigold! If it weren't for Anne of the Island, "Marigold" would definitely be my favorite Montgomery book. :inlove:
Yay! \:D/ That makes me even happier to be reading it. My favourite non-Anne LMM book is "The Blue Castle." She is such a great author.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

I just finished "The Young World" by Weitz and now I'm going to read "Terrier" by Pierce and "Once We Were Brothers" by Balson.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I am reading The Blood Gospel by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell. It's interesting, by which I mean 'it includes Catholic vampires'.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I recently read "Forever With You"by Robin Jones Gunn, which is the first book in her new Christy and Todd: The Married Years series. Yay! \:D/ As a long-time fan of her books, I was happy to finally get my hands on her latest book, and I really enjoyed it. Now I just have to wait for the second one. :mad:

I also just read "Prelude for a Lord" by Camille Elliot. It's a Regency story with a suspenseful storyline that kept me up way too late reading! The author is better known as Camy Tang, but I guess she wanted to use a different name for this Regency story. I've read her modern-day books and they were really good, and I like any Regency-era books that I've read, ,so I figured this book was a safe bet. ;) Good stuff!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am reading Return to Me by Lynn Austin. It is the first book in her new series The Restoration Chronicles. The second book in the series comes out in October. It is very good so far.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Ryder »

Has anyone on here read any of Wayne Thomas Batson's books? Specifically "Ghost"?
Many thanks to her awesome Snubness for the super cool sig and avatar \:D/!
HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Our sixth football pool is now underway!!! Play it! PLAY IT NOW!!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Manon Lescaut - Abbe Prevost
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading some L.M. Montgomery short stories on my Kindle, since there are no new copies available of the printed versions, and the public library has them anyway, but I love having my own Kindle copy to read at home! Her stories are so good. She has a knack for creating characters, even in short stories, that leap off the page and make me care about them.

I am about to start reading "A Bride in Store" by Melissa Jagears. It's her second novel, and it looks interesting.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I just reread the short story "The Man Without a Country" by Edward Everett Hale. Especially in light of our September 11 memorial yesterday, I believe everyone should read this story at least once. It was one of the first to emotionally paralyze me; and although America is the country in the tale, you could really substitute any country for the USA, and it would be just as poignant.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "The Dancing Master" by Julie Klassen. I had meant to read it a long time ago already, but I never actually did. :anxious: Then I had the urge to re-read a different book by the same author ("The Tutor's Daughter") and when I finished that one, I decided that the time had finally arrived for me to read her new book before her next new book is out in a couple of months. ;) I'm about halfway through and it's really good so far. I'm going to have to talk myself out of staying up late to read, since I am very curious about what is all going on!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People for school, and I just got Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan at the library today, so I hope to start that soon

Till the end of the line.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I am currently reading "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. A really good book :P

I happen to have been at Powell's a few times this summer, so my list of books keeps growing on what I've started reading. "The Probability of Miracles" by Wendy Wunder. I'm also reading This Star Won't Go Out by Lori and Wayne Earl, the bio memoir on Esther Earl, the lovely lady who inspired the Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just started "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. I am a little ashamed to admit that I have started the book before but I have never read the whole thing. A year or two ago I read about the first third of the book and then got distracted with other stuff and other books and never went back. I'm going back to the beginning and I plan to make it all the way through this time!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am reading The Guardian by Beverly Lewis. It is the third book in her Home to Hickory Hollow series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Piazza Tales - Herman Melville

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Guardian tonight, excellent book. I love Beverly Lewis. I have started The Butterfly and the Violin by Kristy Cambron.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "The Two Towers" by J.R.R. Tolkien tomorrow. It took me a long time to read "The Fellowship of the Ring," mostly because I was reading it here and there a few pages at a time, but I'm hoping to go through this one a little faster! It should help that it looks shorter. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Last night I finished A Wedding Quilt for Ella by Jerry S. Eicher and loved it. I spent the entire weekend reading it. After finishing it, I started the second book Ella's Wish. Jerry Eicher has become a favorite of mine. Once I finished the first one I had to start the second one as I am very curious about what happens next.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.