What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds really interesting!

I'm reading "Ugly: A Beautiful True Story About Courage, Empathy, And One Very Ugly Kid" - it's a memoir by Robert Hoge. He was born with a big tumour in the middle of his face and short, twisted legs. I've only read the first few chapters. It's definitely an interesting journey so far.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished From This Day Forward. Absolutely wonderful story and I have loved every single book in the entire Red River of the North series. There is one more book but I'm going to save it because I just don't want the series to end yet. I will miss it. One of my goals is to go back and re read the entire series from the beginning. Whether or not that happens we shall see. I'm not at all confident it will given the sheer number of books I have piled up and the fact that I keep ordering and buying more.
Up next for me is Listening to Love by Beth Wiseman. It is the second book in her Amish Journey trilogy. I am starting to read books that have sequels releasing in October.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think we are kindred spirits, Laurie! Reading good books over again is such a joy. I also keep buying more books despite the unread books already on my shelves. I love knowing that I always have a good book by a favourite author waiting for me!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Listening to Love, excellent story. Up next for me is Point of Danger by Irene Hannon. It is the first book in her Triple Threat trilogy/series. It also has a sequel coming out next month.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

The Complete Story of One of Star Trek's Most Popular Episodes: "The Trouble With Tribbles" by David Gerrold.
For people who like Star Trek so much they read about its production, revealing the man behind the curtain who is pushing all the buttons and making stuff operate. The author goes on and on about how complex the television format is for science fiction and fiction in general. 14 minutes, climax, commercial, 14 minutes, climax, commercial, 14 minutes climax commercial, 14 minutes climax, END. That is all; no more and no less.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Walnut Creek Wish, wonderful story. Up next for me is A Distance Too Grand by Regina Scott. It is the first book in her American Wonders trilogy/series. It's my first time reading this author.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" by Robert B. Cialdini. My brother recommended it and made it sound pretty interesting, so I decided to read it. You might see me posting about other fiction books before I finish this non-fiction read. I'll probably read a chapter here and there, not read the whole thing in a few days like I generally do with fiction.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Last night I finished Autumn Skies by Denise Hunter. It's the third and final book in her Bluebell Inn Romance trilogy. Very good. I really enjoyed the trilogy. I am now reading A Warrior's Heart by Misty M. Beller. It is the first book in her Brides of Laurent series/trilogy. Very good so far.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Polehaus53 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:22 pm
Jonathan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Polehaus53 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am Finished reading Manhunt a while ago, great book. I am currently reading Witness to an Era, by D. Mark Katz.
I just gotta say that one of the reasons I frequent this thread is to get book ideas, and I am liking your taste. Gotten ideas from Laurie and Catspaw too.
Thanks, I as well have gotten ideas from this thread.

Finished reading Witness to an Era a long time ago, very good book. Also read The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis, and read The Return of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle a while back.

I am currently reading A Night to Remember, by Walter Lord.
I read The Great Divorce earlier this year, good book.

Currently reading The Unlikely Thru-Hiker. It's on loan from a friend who gave me nine books to read while I was in the hospital with covid. Next up is Rogue Lawyer by Grisham.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Warrior's Heart, excellent story. Waiting for the second book will be hard. Up next for me is The Cryptographer's Dilemma by Johnnie Alexander. This is the first book in the Heroines of WWII series.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Finished the Grisham book tonight, now reading Killing Patton.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm still reading "Influence," and it is a great read! I am learning a lot about persuasion and busy trying to apply some of the info to difficult situations. I highly recommend it.

I'm also reading "The Baby's Defender" by Jill Elizabeth Nelson.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Cryptographer's Secret, good story. Up next for me is Love's Dwelling by Kelly Irvin. It is the first book in her Amish Blessings trilogy/series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I started re-reading "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. Just reading the introduction to the 30th anniversary edition made me happy.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Finished Patton, now reading The Cat Who Came for Christmas, another one of my hospital books.
Catspaw wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 pm I started re-reading "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. Just reading the introduction to the 30th anniversary edition made me happy.
That's been on my list for some time, is it as good as the movie?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 am
Catspaw wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 pm I started re-reading "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. Just reading the introduction to the 30th anniversary edition made me happy.
That's been on my list for some time, is it as good as the movie?
I cannot recommend it highly enough! Such a wonderful book. The book is even better than the movie, which is saying something, because the movie is amazing. Definitely read it! :yes:
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

I finished reading the newest book in the re-released Last Chance Detectives book series, Terror From Outer Space, by Robert Vernon. I thought it was really good! Even if you haven’t read the other books in the series, this one is understandable on its own. I’d recommend it to anyone.
Apart from that, I really haven’t had very much time to do any reading lately. However, I do have plans to finish reading The Friendly Dickens, by Norrie Epstein at some point.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Just started Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Love's Dwelling. Fantastic story. Up next for me is The Spice King by Elizabeth Camden, it is the first title in her Hope and Glory trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Polehaus53 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:26 pm I finished reading the newest book in the re-released Last Chance Detectives book series, Terror From Outer Space, by Robert Vernon. I thought it was really good! Even if you haven’t read the other books in the series, this one is understandable on its own. I’d recommend it to anyone.
Apart from that, I really haven’t had very much time to do any reading lately. However, I do have plans to finish reading The Friendly Dickens, by Norrie Epstein at some point.
Thanks for the recommendation, Polehaus! I'm planning to order it for some people more in the target age range....and then maybe read it myself too... :-