What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Currently rereading the Thrawn Trilogy.
Resident JRPG nut
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I listened to the audiobook of the first Thrawn book and liked it but then stopped at the beginning of the second one. I should listen to it this summer.

I'm starting "A Child's Christmas Wish" by Erica Vetsch. I've decided to embrace the Christmas in July thing, as ridiculous as it is. So far I just really want to eat Christmas cookies.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Flood Tide by Clive Cussler
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Acceptable Risk, excellent story!! Up next for me is Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong, new author for me. This is a Christian rom com. Think Hallmark Channel or UpTV. 
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

I finished Dragonslayer by Tui T. Sutherland and the first Keeper of the Lost Cities book this week. Now I am starting Artemis Fowl. I have read dragonslayer and artemis fowl before but I'm in a revisit-my-childhood mood. Plus I forget what happens in books easily so it feels like a new book!
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm I finished Acceptable Risk, excellent story!! Up next for me is Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong, new author for me. This is a Christian rom com. Think Hallmark Channel or UpTV. 
Not gonna lie, that book sounds like fun! Thanks for mentioning it, Laurie. I'm not familiar with the author or the book but I think I might like it. Let us know what you think when you're done, Laurie.

I'm starting "Wild Montana Skies" by Susan May Warren. I read it when it first came out (and the next two books in the series) and then I bought the rest of the books in the series but never actually read them. :anxious: By now I figured I would enjoy the series more if I started back at the beginning to remind myself of what's going on, since the stories are connected.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Catspaw wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 pm
Laurie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 pm I finished Acceptable Risk, excellent story!! Up next for me is Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong, new author for me. This is a Christian rom com. Think Hallmark Channel or UpTV. 
Not gonna lie, that book sounds like fun! Thanks for mentioning it, Laurie. I'm not familiar with the author or the book but I think I might like it. Let us know what you think when you're done, Laurie.
You are very welcome Catspaw. Husband Auditions was excellent!! It made me laugh in spots and kept me turning the pages. I had never heard of Ms. Strong either but decided to give her a try. I'm glad I did!! I love finding new authors. I will be reading more of her books.
I'm currently reading All Through the Night by Tara Johnson, very good so far.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

Jonathan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Polehaus53 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am Finished reading Manhunt a while ago, great book. I am currently reading Witness to an Era, by D. Mark Katz.
I just gotta say that one of the reasons I frequent this thread is to get book ideas, and I am liking your taste. Gotten ideas from Laurie and Catspaw too.
Thanks, I as well have gotten ideas from this thread.

Finished reading Witness to an Era a long time ago, very good book. Also read The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis, and read The Return of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle a while back.

I am currently reading A Night to Remember, by Walter Lord.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:18 am
Catspaw wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 pm
You are very welcome Catspaw. Husband Auditions was excellent!! It made me laugh in spots and kept me turning the pages. I had never heard of Ms. Strong either but decided to give her a try. I'm glad I did!! I love finding new authors. I will be reading more of her books.
I'm currently reading All Through the Night by Tara Johnson, very good so far.
I will definitely have to read it, then! We often like a lot of the same books, so I am happy to take your recommendation.

Polehaus, I know that book is about the Titanic but I've never read it. Please post your thoughts when you're done. I've considered reading it but never have.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished All Through the Night, fantastic book. Up next for me is The Librarian of Boone's Hollow by Kim Vogel Sawyer.
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

Finished reading A Night to Remember, very good book.
Catspaw wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:03 pm Polehaus, I know that book is about the Titanic but I've never read it. Please post your thoughts when you're done. I've considered reading it but never have.
Thanks for asking, I liked it. Walter Lord interviewed survivors of the Titanic, so a lot of it is about the actions of different individual people and what they did as the ship sunk. There’s also good analysis on just about everything from the mysterious fate of Captain Smith to the unknown exact number of passengers. A lot of interesting details I didn’t know before are discussed. I enjoyed reading it, and I’d definitely recommend it.

I am currently reading The Friendly Dickens, by Norrie Epstein.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Polehaus53 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:22 am Finished reading A Night to Remember, very good book.
Catspaw wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:03 pm Polehaus, I know that book is about the Titanic but I've never read it. Please post your thoughts when you're done. I've considered reading it but never have.
Thanks for asking, I liked it. Walter Lord interviewed survivors of the Titanic, so a lot of it is about the actions of different individual people and what they did as the ship sunk. There’s also good analysis on just about everything from the mysterious fate of Captain Smith to the unknown exact number of passengers. A lot of interesting details I didn’t know before are discussed. I enjoyed reading it, and I’d definitely recommend it.

I am currently reading The Friendly Dickens, by Norrie Epstein.
That does sound very interesting! I didn't realize that the author interviewed survivors for the book - that certainly must add to the authenticity. I'll have to read it one of these days. Thanks for the recommendation!

I was going through some old books and found a fun old favourite - "Don't Care High" by Gordon Korman. I love his old books and always find them good for a laugh, so I started reading it just for fun.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yesterday I finished Storing Up Trouble by Jen Turano. It is the third book in her American Heiresses trilogy, excellent book. I'm currently reading The Farmer's Bride by Kathleen Fuller. It is the second book in her Amish Brides of Birch Creek trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. It's one of my all-time favourite books and I find comfort in the familiarity, besides the fact that it is totally awesome! \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Farmer's Bride, absolutely wonderful! Up next for me is A Cowboy for Keeps by Jody Hedlund. It is the first book in her Colorado Cowboys trilogy/series.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I'm reading Prize Stories from the O. Henry Awards, the Best of 1998, which is an anthology full of short stories.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Cowboy for Keeps, wonderful story. Up next is Mountain Laurel by Lori Benton.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "Lone Survivor" by Jill Elizabeth Nelson. Her books usually have a good level of suspense, so I'm looking forward to it!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Mountain Laurel, excellent story. The sequel comes out next month. Up next for me is From This Day Forward by Lauraine Snelling. It is the fourth and final book in her Song of Blessing series.
Bananareader
Gold Member
Post by Bananareader »

I finished reading Deadliest Cast Member: The COMPLETE SEASON TWO Collection book 2 which is about a former Seal agent who works as a Disneyland Security cast member who has to save Disneyland from Terrorists . Book 2 is actually a prequel to Deadliest Cast Member SEASON ONE COMPILATION. Both Books are written by Kelly Ryan Johns who is a Christian author which he mentions in the author notes in the books.