What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Nature of a Lady, fabulous story!! Up next for me is Braced for Love by Mary Connealy. It is the first book in her Brothers in Arms series/trilogy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm planning to read the new Mary Connealy book at some point too, Laurie. Often she writes trilogies that are closely linked, so sometimes I wait for all three to be out and then read them all together. I just preordered the second one from my local Christian bookstore because it's out in July, so I guess I'll decide this summer if I'll wait to read them or not!
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

A while back in this thread, I think Catspaw mentioned she had read Hurricane Boy by Laura Roach Dragon, and it sounded interesting, but I wasn't able to get it from the library until a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it! And it was definitely a unique perspective on Hurricane Katrina.

I'm currently trying to get through The Power of Babel by John McWhorter. It's interesting, but kind of slow going, so I also got some children's books from the library if I need some lighter reading. :-
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Petrichor wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:16 am A while back in this thread, I think Catspaw mentioned she had read Hurricane Boy by Laura Roach Dragon, and it sounded interesting, but I wasn't able to get it from the library until a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it! And it was definitely a unique perspective on Hurricane Katrina.

I'm currently trying to get through The Power of Babel by John McWhorter. It's interesting, but kind of slow going, so I also got some children's books from the library if I need some lighter reading. :-
Wow, good memory! I think that was last summer. I'm glad that I inspired you and that you enjoyed the book. My aunt visited New Orleans a few years ago and bought it and then let me borrow it. I wouldn't have heard of it otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with reading good children's literature at any age! A good book is a good book.

I'm just starting "The Indebted Earl" by Erica Vetsch. It's the third book in a series and I read the first two a while back, so I'm trying to remember what happened in the previous books.
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

Finished reading Manhunt a while ago, great book. I am currently reading Witness to an Era, by D. Mark Katz.
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm starting "Vying for the Viscount" by Kristi Ann Hunter. I've really enjoyed her previous historical books so I'm looking forward to it.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Polehaus53 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am Finished reading Manhunt a while ago, great book. I am currently reading Witness to an Era, by D. Mark Katz.
I just gotta say that one of the reasons I frequent this thread is to get book ideas, and I am liking your taste. Gotten ideas from Laurie and Catspaw too.

edit--And in keeping with the thread, found a cheap detective novel from one of those little free libraries that I'm reading now, Sunset Express by Robert Crais.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Braced for Love, excellent book. Up next for me is Jewel of the Nile by Tessa Afshar.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Currently reading Gosnell: The Untold Story of America's Most Prolific Serial Killer.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds like another heavy read, Jonathan.

I'm starting "Winning the Gentleman" by Kristi Ann Hunter. It's the second book in her Hearts on the Heath series. I loved how she incorporated a couple of characters from her earlier books into the first book in the series because they were so fun and familiar. It would have been fine to read it without knowing who they were but since I did, it was really fun. I'm hoping for a bit more of that in this second book!
coffeeappreciation
Gold Member
Post by coffeeappreciation »

I recently finished All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot, and the sequel. Just starting All Things Wise and Wonderful today!
Psst! Hey, you! Yeah, you there! Thanks to everyone who helped hatch my dragon egg! :anxious:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Polehaus53 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am Finished reading Manhunt a while ago, great book. I am currently reading Witness to an Era, by D. Mark Katz.
I just gotta say that one of the reasons I frequent this thread is to get book ideas, and I am liking your taste. Gotten ideas from Laurie and Catspaw too.

edit--And in keeping with the thread, found a cheap detective novel from one of those little free libraries that I'm reading now, Sunset Express by Robert Crais.
I know that when Jonathan said he had gotten ideas from me, it wasn't for my romantic Christian historical fiction books. ;) I just got a book that might be more your speed, Jonathan. I'm going to read "Another Gospel?: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity" by Alisa Childers. I heard it recommended by a local pastor, and the foreword by Lee Strobel gets things off to a good start. I think it will be a good read. I'm already planning on lending it to a friend once I'm done!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:06 pmI know that when Jonathan said he had gotten ideas from me, it wasn't for my romantic Christian historical fiction books. ;) I just got a book that might be more your speed, Jonathan. I'm going to read "Another Gospel?: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity" by Alisa Childers. I heard it recommended by a local pastor, and the foreword by Lee Strobel gets things off to a good start. I think it will be a good read. I'm already planning on lending it to a friend once I'm done!
Well you've got me pegged, though that one was already on my list (let me know what you think of it).

Finished Gosnell, blew through Exposing the Real Che Guevara, and just started On Being a Theologian of the Cross by Forde.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:00 pm
Catspaw wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:06 pmI know that when Jonathan said he had gotten ideas from me, it wasn't for my romantic Christian historical fiction books. ;) I just got a book that might be more your speed, Jonathan. I'm going to read "Another Gospel?: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity" by Alisa Childers. I heard it recommended by a local pastor, and the foreword by Lee Strobel gets things off to a good start. I think it will be a good read. I'm already planning on lending it to a friend once I'm done!
Well you've got me pegged, though that one was already on my list (let me know what you think of it).

Finished Gosnell, blew through Exposing the Real Che Guevara, and just started On Being a Theologian of the Cross by Forde.
I'm six chapters in and really appreciating what Childers has to say. It's all good stuff to me. I'm not personally questioning historic Christianity; however I know people who have or who have loved ones doing so and wanted to educate myself more about progressive Christianity and then be able to share the book with others. I think you will want to read it, Jonathan! Good to hear it's already on your list, since it makes me think that I must have good taste. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Jewel of the Nile, excellent story. Up next for me is The Bake Shop by Amy Clipston. It is the first book in her Amish Market Place trilogy/series.
Wod Fam Choc Sod
Not as new

Post by Wod Fam Choc Sod »

The last book I read was Lorna Doone by Richard Blackmore and it was EPIC :inlove:
I'm currently reading straight through the Official Guide to AIO :wacky:
Read Odyssey's latest epic: The Checkmate Saga!!!
https://juliettederouledewrites.blogspo ... kmate.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Connie: (whispering) Oh, she looks beautiful, doesn't she?
Jason: (also whispering) Beautiful.
Connie: (tearfully) Everyone looks beautiful!
Jason: Yes, Connie, they're all beautiful.
Connie: Your dad. Oh... he looks great in that tuxedo. He's... oh... he's...
Jason: Beautiful.
Connie: (still fighting tears) Yeah. And Katrina in that dress...
Jason: She got her stitches out just in time.
Connie: (quavering) I think I'm gonna cry.
Jason: Here's my hankie.
Connie: *sniffs* Thank you.
Jason: I knew all along, by the way.
Connie: Well, good for you. Can I cry now, or are you gonna keep talking?
Jason: Have a good cry.
Connie: (sobbing) Thank you. *dramatic sobs* *blows nose*
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Nice choice! Gotta love the Official Guide. :D

I'm reading "At Home in Mitford" by Jan Karon. I know a bit about the plotline and have meant to read it for years, so it's nice to actually be reading it! I quite enjoyed the first few chapters so far.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:17 pmI'm six chapters in and really appreciating what Childers has to say. It's all good stuff to me. I'm not personally questioning historic Christianity; however I know people who have or who have loved ones doing so and wanted to educate myself more about progressive Christianity and then be able to share the book with others. I think you will want to read it, Jonathan! Good to hear it's already on your list, since it makes me think that I must have good taste. ;)
Good to know, I'll bump it up my list.

Finished Cross, then read The Great Divorce by CS Lewis, now reading The Coddling of the American Mind
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Bake Shop, wonderful story!! Up next for me is Acceptable Risk by Lynette Eason. It is the second book in her Danger Never Sleeps series.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Finished Coddling, then read Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up, and now starting Amusing Ourselves to Death.