What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished The Shepard's Wife, excellent book. Up next for me is A Mosaic of Wings by Kimberly Duffy. New author for me. 
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Petrichor wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:58 pm Wow, I'm on the same wavelength as you guys! Just finished up Then There Was You a couple weeks ago and Boundaries the other day! \:D/

Currently reading Max Perkins: Editor of a Genius. It's a little bit of a slog, if I'm honest, but there are a lot of interesting tidbits about some of the authors Perkins edited (F. Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway, just to name a few).
Haha, what are the odds? That's great. You clearly read a variety of books!

I'm moving on to "All Made Up" by Kara Isaac. I'm really looking forward to it because the earlier three books by the author all have the main character of this book as a minor character, and she's very interesting!
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I'm in the middle of Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson, and I'm also listening to Jesus and John Wayne by Kristin Kobes Du Mez. I almost always listen to books as opposed to reading them because I rarely find the time to sit down and just read. I don't necessarily agree with all of the things in the latter book, either, but it has been a really fascinating read having grown up in the heart of American evangelicalism. It reminds me that my relationship with Christ should always be personal and biblical, not swayed by popular opinion or even the "talking heads" of Evangelicalism which are often not promoting sound doctrine.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds really interesting, JIA! I enjoy audiobooks, though I still read more paper books.

I'm starting "One Thing I Know" by Kara Isaac. It looks good, and I've enjoyed all her other books, so I expect this one to be great as well! :yes:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished A Mosaic of Wings, wonderful story. Up next for me is The Woman in the Green Dress by Tea Cooper. New author for me. 
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Just finished Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. It was an epistolary novel with a conceit that every time a letter of the alphabet falls off a sign in the town, the residents have to stop using the letter. Fun concept, but probably only something I'll read once.

Now I'm reading A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner. I started her Queen's Thief series years and years ago, but I just couldn't get into them at the time. I think this time they're catching my interest a bit more!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Currently reading Hitler 1889-1936 Hubris by Ian Kershaw
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds like heavy reading, Jonathan.

I just started "Start With Me" by Kara Isaac. It's her newest book. I've been reading through her books and really enjoying them, so after this one (the sixth) I'll miss having another one waiting for me!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Woman in the Green Dress, wonderful story. Up next for me is Minutes to Die by Susan Sleeman. It is the second book in her Homeland Heroes trilogy/series.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:04 pm That sounds like heavy reading, Jonathan.
It is. Part 1 of a 2 part biography, 1500 pages between the two books.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:19 pm
Catspaw wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:04 pm That sounds like heavy reading, Jonathan.
It is. Part 1 of a 2 part biography, 1500 pages between the two books.
My goodness gracious. Good luck with that. ;) Hopefully it's interesting along the way!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished Minutes to Die, excellent book. Up next for me is Pelican Point by Irene Hannon, it is the fourth book in her Hope Harbor series.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm a few chapters into "The Thief of Blackfriars Lane" by Michelle Griep. I really like her books. This one seems to have a bit more of a humorous vibe than some of her other ones, which is fun.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Pelican Point, very good. Up next for me is: The Crushing Depths by Dani Pettrey. It is the second book in her Coastal Guardians series/trilogy.
Polehaus53
29K to go!
Post by Polehaus53 »

I'm currently reading The American President, by Philip Kunhardt. It's pretty good, I'm enjoying it so far. :read:

Also, I recently finished reading the Kidsboro book series, by Marshal Younger. I liked them. :yes:
"our language contains many words having a double meaning; and...to pronounce a joke that allows both meanings of a certain word, proves the joker a person of culture and refinement, who has, moreover, a thorough command of the language."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm just starting "The Cowboy's Honor" by Lacy Williams. It looks like a pretty light read, which is just what I want. I'm blaming the time change and stress at work for my total lack of interest in picking up anything heavier than that. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just finished The Crushing Depths, excellent book. I'm hoping for more books in this series. Up next for me is Vying for the Viscount by Kristi Ann Hunter. It is the first book in her Hearts on the Heath series/trilogy.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I've moved on to the second part, Hitler: 1936-1945 Nemesis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The fun continues, I see, Jonathan. ;)

I'm starting "Boundless" by Tamara Leigh. It's the sixth book in her Age of Conquest series. I'm looking forward to reading it!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The Shallows: What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains by Nicholas Carr