Jesus with a box of tissues

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Jesus with a box of tissues

Post by IrishTiger »

Did Jesus ever get sick?
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think He should have in theory?
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

No. Sickness and death are a result of sin. Christ never sinned, and He came to heal.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

By that logic though He should never have been able to die either. Now yes, sickness is a result of ancestral sin and the fallen world but are individuals getting sick a result of their own personal sin? Also how far do we take this, did Jesus never get a splinter or a bruise?

Wasn't He human as we are human and didn't He go through life like we did? Minus the sinning part but getting sick or injured isn't a sin in of itself.
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

But also he came to heal sickness. If he actually got sick wouldn't that discredit him?
Online family
Christian's nephew
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
John Chrysostom

Okay, so to clarify would you say Jesus never got blisters or splinters?
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Blitz wrote:But also he came to heal sickness. If he actually got sick wouldn't that discredit him?
Not really. He could just heal himself--another miracle. As Ayn Rand said, it's not a sin to become sick.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Blitz wrote:No. Sickness and death are a result of sin. Christ never sinned, and He came to heal.
*sigh* We've already been here.

http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33728&start=40
Jelly wrote:
Blitz wrote:Jesus was probably never sick considering sickness comes from sin. Also he could have easily been handsome considering he was perfect. The passage in Isaiah only relates in my opinion to his crucifixion because he was for the most part popular before.
Your 'opinion' sounds dangerously close to docetism, a heretical theological position that subverts the human characteristics of Jesus. According to traditional Catholic and Protestant theology, Jesus was both God and man. He was neither less one or the other. And as a human, his physicality was every bit as prone to genetic, bodily variances and weaknesses. In other words, Jesus pooped. He had pimples. He carried germs. He had a human body and there is absolutely nothing to indicate that his genetics made him appear 'handsome'. Actually, the fact that you just suggested that Jesus was popular because he was good looking is disturbing to me. >_>

What on earth makes you think that Isiah's verse only applies when convenient for you?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

He was despised and reject of man. A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid as it were our faces from.
Where does that imply that he had sickness. Nothing in the Bible imply Jesus ever got sick or that the didn't.
Online family
Christian's nephew

BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
John Chrysostom

Except that He was fully human and humans get sick, so was Christ fully human? Also as Jelly points out your claim that Jesus was conventionally good looking is disturbing on many levels and does indeed smack of docetism. You also never answered my question, did Jesus every suffer injuries when He was working or get a blister from walking everywhere?
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I said he was possibly handsome. Nothing in the Bible says otherwise unless you count Isaih 53:2 but that refers to what he said.
Interesting question. How am I supposed to know? Most of what I am saying here is my opinion based on what I know. I know for sure Jesus got tired also he could go much longer than an average human.
Jesus was the Son of man and the Son of God. Impossible yet it was made possible in Jesus Christ.
Online family
Christian's nephew

BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
John Chrysostom

Please stop saying "possibly" so much, you are clearly claiming it as a real possibility. Also you keep saying this is just your opinion, well we have opinions too but we expand and clarify our opinions. So please clarify and expand your opinion by answering my question, you can extrapolate from your previous opinion and answer to my question.

Okay so Christ was fully human, don't humans get sick? Is this not a condition of humans?
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Adam was human. In the garden of Eden did he get sick? No. Sickness is a condition of fallen humans. If Christ were a fallen human that would take away his ability to forgive sin.
Online family
Christian's nephew

BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
John Chrysostom

Sickness is a condition of the fallen world, did Christ not live in the fallen world?

Also if Christ didn't take on our full nature how did He redeem our nature? Isn't an important part of the incarnation that Christ lived just as we lived?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Blitz wrote:Adam was human. In the garden of Eden did he get sick? No.
Source?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Blitz wrote:He was despised and reject of man. A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid as it were our faces from.
This doesn't even make sense.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

That is from Isaiah. That is one of the passages people use to say Jesus was ugly.
True, He lived in a fallen world, but who controls that fallen world. Jesus. Jesus at only one point became like man and that was on the cross. He was perfect. Anything he felt was his choice. Jesus chose to die. He wasn't killed. So from that view, if Jesus ever became sick or tired or bruised, it was his choice. Jesus exercise complete control over the world.
Online family
Christian's nephew

BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
John Chrysostom

So the rest of the time Jesus was not like a man? So most of the incarnation Christ spent as not human? I'm just trying to clarify because that goes against most traditional views of the incarnation. And if that's true then why did Christ need to be born and live life if at only one point He became human?
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Sorry, I meant corrupted by sin.
Online family
Christian's nephew

BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
John Chrysostom

To backtrack slightly, what was the purpose of the incarnation?