Contentment

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Contentment

Post by IrishTiger »

Contentment - The state of being happy and satisfied

Our culture today is constantly screaming at us that we need to change something, more will make us happier, and newer is better. Our situation is never "perfect". If we just buy the newest iPhone, lose a few more pounds, have more clothes, buy a better car, own a newer computer - the list goes on. We can even find it in church when people complain about the worship music, the message, or the person who was snoring behind you during prayer.

There is so much we can find fault in and not be satisfied with. Everything, really, as this is a broken, messed up world.
1 Timothy 6:6-8 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Contentment can come when you realized how blessed you are. When you take a look around you and realize how much God has given you, how much He has saved you from. When you start becoming jealous, greedy or unsatisfied, try to look at your situation differently. You have clothes, lots of them. Many people don't. You have a warm home, friends, internet, music, food, a church that you are not persecuted for attending, fellow members of your community who attend with you, and again the list goes on. God gives you random little things that make you smile. He is keeping you from so much. In the "pursuit of happiness", finding contentment in what God has giving you is the best way to go.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

I totally agree, though, actually, I think there is even a step further. I think ultimately the goal is to remove even the "other people don't" from the mindset. It isn't ultimately about comparing yourself to others as I think this too could be considered a form of judgement.

Now, I know this isn't your intention nor am I critiquing you, I just believe ultimately, contentment is totally internal, totally being happy with where you are, not comparing it outside. But being one with God and knowing, as in Romans 8:28, that all things will work together for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. To look inside yourself in your relationship with Him and find your purpose. Then to take that purpose forward into this broken world, knowing that right now everything isn't going to be perfect, but that His perfect will is ultimately acting, living in His perfect love which truly will cast out all fear.

For even if you are living in a cardboard box, without clothes, and to others it would feel like the world is about to end, we still serve a God of Wonder.

Admittedly, getting past hunger and actual physical cold is hard. But ultimately, I believe that as God provides for the birds, He will provide for us, all in due course. It is hard to put words to this fully, because ultimately, I don't want to belittle the experience of those who actually have experienced being homeless. I am sure they have a lot to add to this part of the discussion, but, I believe with your eyes fixed on Jesus, there is much contentment to be gained as you move forward.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Very, very good point Limerick. Thank you. I had started thinking about contentment in church Sunday, but I hadn't taken the level that you have, obviously.

Focusing on God and our relationship with Him is something we need to do in all areas of life. Finding contentment in the Lord above all else in this world is so important.

2 Corinthians 6:4-10 But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses, in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings; by purity, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love, by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

But also, we have to keep in mind contentment's dangerous sibling, complacency. Going back to Romans 8:28, all things work together for the good of those who love God, and who are called according to His purpose

We must work to be content, but we must always also be in motion, maintaining a prayerful attitude, working to improve our life.

For me, this is my greatest struggle. It is too easy to be like "things are good, be happy," and not work to improve ourselves in God's eyes. (Keep in mind, we are saved through faith, not works, but in our faith, I believe we will be called to work)

I love to help others and if you need help, and I see it, I am more than happy to assist. But, even a little separation can make it hard. I am continuously working on that. I hate feeling "Out of sight, out of mind." I want to pursue ways to help, to bring people closer to Christ and this ultimate, in my mind, understanding of contentment without complacency. I am far from perfect, but that isn't going to keep me from trying to be. But, I will also strive to live without regret, without dwelling on the past. Learning from it yes, but not dwelling on it.

Over time, I am also working to be better at caring for myself, not just those around me.

Love thy neighbor as yourself requires also that you love yourself first.