Lurker Central

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Bren
Be positive!

Lurker Central

Post by Bren »

Every day I check the board and see people that come on and never post. Does anyone have a theory as to why that is or how it could be changed?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

I was on another forum once, which was having some trouble with inactivity. When asked about it, someone said something to the effect that they don't post because there aren't any interesting topics (or posts).

That might sound ludicrous, but the fact is that some members, for whatever reasons, are not naturally inclined to get things going on their own, although they may be good at reacting or following up, and they might make new content once they see a lot of other people are doing it.

So, activity causes activity.

Also, I've said in the past something to the effect that the most important thing that the staff can do to improve activity is to lead by example, and I still think that's true; having the leadership active and available has a disproportionate impact beyond their actual contributions.
Monica Stone
I've been here a bit

Post by Monica Stone »

I used to be a lurker just because I didn't feel committed enough to get an account. I just liked reading the thoughts of others. That changed during the infamous quarantine of 2020 and I haven't looked back.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I guess it's a little bit like social media. I could get 50 likes on a post and 0 comments. It's just easier to read things and appreciate them?
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I feel the need to post and agree with Danadelfos instead of just nodding my head at home. ;) I think sometimes people feel like they don't have anything special to add so they might read something and be glad that they did but not actually post. While the low activity does make me want people to post their thoughts more often, I understand and sometimes also do the same. A thread with ten people saying, "Yes" or "I read that" doesn't really add to a discussion. Sharing specific reasons does add to a discussion because it gives someone else another thought or point to potentially trigger their own thought that might inspire a post.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Organization might be a factor as well. Too many sub-forums spreads out activity, making it seem like there is less activity, leading to less activity. Harlequin Theater is a favorite example of mine; do we really need three sub-forums in addition to the main Harlequin forum? Edit--I'm looking at the main page, and Finneman has the same exact problem. Do we really need that much division of one part of the site?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Ditto.

(plz don't ban me)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Danadelfos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:49 am I guess it's a little bit like social media. I could get 50 likes on a post and 0 comments. It's just easier to read things and appreciate them?
I'm pretty sure that means its time to add a "like" feature to the board. \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Top Crusader wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:36 am
Danadelfos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:49 am I guess it's a little bit like social media. I could get 50 likes on a post and 0 comments. It's just easier to read things and appreciate them?
I'm pretty sure that means its time to add a "like" feature to the board. \:D/
oh my i remember this discussion and how...passionate people were :p
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Jonathan wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:55 pm Organization might be a factor as well. Too many sub-forums spreads out activity, making it seem like there is less activity, leading to less activity. Harlequin Theater is a favorite example of mine; do we really need three sub-forums in addition to the main Harlequin forum? Edit--I'm looking at the main page, and Finneman has the same exact problem. Do we really need that much division of one part of the site?
Hmm, there is this feature -- search.php?search_id=active_topics but the issue I'm seeing is that it doesn't include the sub-sub forums. I wonder if there's a way to fix this so that it includes them. @Catspaw is there a way that we could get it to include the sub sub forums like Holstein's Books?
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Danadelfos wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:51 am
Jonathan wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:55 pm Organization might be a factor as well. Too many sub-forums spreads out activity, making it seem like there is less activity, leading to less activity. Harlequin Theater is a favorite example of mine; do we really need three sub-forums in addition to the main Harlequin forum? Edit--I'm looking at the main page, and Finneman has the same exact problem. Do we really need that much division of one part of the site?
Hmm, there is this feature -- search.php?search_id=active_topics but the issue I'm seeing is that it doesn't include the sub-sub forums. I wonder if there's a way to fix this so that it includes them. @Catspaw is there a way that we could get it to include the sub sub forums like Holstein's Books?
@Eugene is probably a better person to ask that kind of question. I'm just the pretty face. ;)
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:59 pm
@Eugene is probably a better person to ask that kind of question. I'm just the pretty face. ;)
@Eugene! We are in need of assistance! I like this mention feature. O:)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeah, a lot of times I read stuff on here and am just like "huh, that's interesting." So I don't see much point in posting that. :p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

Danadelfos wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:41 pm
You're not just the pretty face, @Catspaw... you're the (care bear) heart and soul of this place! :D

I'm glad that you are liking this mention feature! It's too bad I've been MIA since January though... :anxious: Regardless, I've expanded the coverage of the Active Topics page. It will now include the entire board, aside from SBC and other limited content. I'll mostly likely add that in as well, but the interface to do that is super annoying and time consuming... so, I'd have to load up the CLI or go into the database or something. Things that are more involved. But I digress... :wow:

I tend to lurk a lot because I don't like to get involved. I'm a lot like Jack Allen in that way, I think. But I can also offer a lot to a conversation, I just pick my moments. Especially online since humour doesn't usually translate well into written form. Especially a dry, sarcastic, darker sense of humour such as mine. :- Add to that the fact that I prefer to listen than to talk most of the time until I feel more comfortable, or the topic is one I'm more comfortable with, then you get a lurker version of myself.

That all being said, I do really enjoy engaging in the discussions here. I just don't go online as much as I used to for socializing. I prefer to invest in in-person relationships more than online relationships. I also really like the ToO and want to be more active here, but I usually spend most of my time here on the behind-the-scenes things... so, it's difficult to strike a balance between everything. And figuring out what's important and placing things in proper priority. Actually, it's something I'm working on generally in my life right now as I'm working through my recovery and health journey. :)

I do agree that activity spawns activity... so if you want more activity, then you have to be active yourself. And I've been looking at bringing a "props" button or something similar to the table in the future. But as Marvin mentioned, when discussion of a 'like' button came up, people had strong opinions. :mad:

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Eugene wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:31 am
Danadelfos wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:41 pm
You're not just the pretty face, @Catspaw... you're the (care bear) heart and soul of this place! :D

I'm glad that you are liking this mention feature! It's too bad I've been MIA since January though... :anxious: Regardless, I've expanded the coverage of the Active Topics page. It will now include the entire board, aside from SBC and other limited content. I'll mostly likely add that in as well, but the interface to do that is super annoying and time consuming... so, I'd have to load up the CLI or go into the database or something. Things that are more involved. But I digress... :wow:

I tend to lurk a lot because I don't like to get involved. I'm a lot like Jack Allen in that way, I think. But I can also offer a lot to a conversation, I just pick my moments. Especially online since humour doesn't usually translate well into written form. Especially a dry, sarcastic, darker sense of humour such as mine. :- Add to that the fact that I prefer to listen than to talk most of the time until I feel more comfortable, or the topic is one I'm more comfortable with, then you get a lurker version of myself.
The perfect combination - care bears on one hand and tech know-how on the other. ;)

I also like the mention feature! That was a good addition.

I hear you on how sarcasm doesn't always translate well online, especially with people who don't really know you. I'm glad you keep coming by and participating as it works for you, Eugene!
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

As a serial lurker wherever I go, I personally tend to not interact (unless it is on a topic that I am intensely interested) because I perceive my own thoughts to be unnecessary at best and off-putting/annoying at worst.
I remember the days when the forum was a lot more active and I think having more people dipping in and out of topics helped to mitigate this a little. Now that there are fewer people (most of whom have been around for a while) I think there's probably at least a handful of people like me who hang out at the fringes, but have a hard time really breaking into the already established group.
(Put me in a room full of people who have all just met, and I can be a great conversationalist. Put me in a room with a few people who have know each other for years and I'll just go to a corner and silently wait for the anxiety to kill me.) 🙃😅
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm all the more honored and impressed with a self-named lurker does post! That means that there's really something they want to say.

I totally understand the people-person level fluctuating based on who's around. I hate it when I think I'm making casual conversation with a few other people who are also just casual acquaintances and then realize that they all know each other and I'm the odd one out. C'est la vie.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

It is kinda hard to keep things hopping with only a handful of people popping in. Now that I think about it, it kinda reminds me of Campbell County back in the day. I find it especially frustrating this time of year. This should be a lively time with holiday name changes. Fall festivals and Christmas boards.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I know what you mean, Bren. We'll still have a Christmas board. There was certainly less posting last year than back in the day, so I guess we'll have to start an epic ToOer snowball fight or something fun to force people to come by! :x
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I'm here for the Christmas board! \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait