Suggestion Box/Public Opinion Poll: Hillingdale Haven

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Should We Rename Hillingdale Haven?

Poll ended at Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Yes!
85%
No!
15%

Total votes: 27

snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

So.. are we going with Bart's Pork Rind Closet? \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm clearly missing something that's making everyone else crazy about that name.

I can't find anything related to it on AiO Wiki so I'm assuming it's just a reference to something I don't get. Which is fine, but doesn't make it a fitting forum name as we're trying to use actual locations.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I agree with bookworm on this.

I think the name should definitely be changed because of the reasons pointed out above but I think it should be changed to an actual location.

I like changing the larger forum to The Electric Palace(because craziness) but I think I lean more towards something like The Clearance Aisle for the Padded Room. I know this technically isn't a place but it seems more likely to exist than The Pork Rind Closet. Also, the clearance aisle would have the craziest or wildest of the store's items.

Those are my thoughts.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I prefer Bart's Pork Find Closet because it could exist just as much as the Padded Room. The clearance aisle wouldn't necessarily have the craziest items it would most likely have the cheapest items marked up because that's the kind of person Bart is. Is there gonna be a vote on what the name changes will be?
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

I prefer Bart's Pork Rind Closet as well. It's a fun creative name for a funny/crazy place. It has just as much to do with Aio as The Clearance Aisle in my opinion. Like Pengwin said, it would likely have the cheapest items marked way up, not necessarily the craziest items. If you think about it, Bart could very well have a closet to hide his pork rinds. It sounds just like him. I like something creative and different for renaming the Padded Room and I think Bart's Pork Rind Closet is the best name I've heard so far.
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This kind of idea would never have found traction 10 years ago. I would've found it to be ridiculous. Not anymore. :) We are living in a new age, and I'm all the way here for it. It's about dang time we took mental health seriously.

The description of the HH board says: "They say some members are crazy... and this board shows us why! No money can be earned within the asylum, but if you would like to rate avatars, write fan fiction, or just be wacky, this is the spot for you!"

It's worthwhile that we distinguish wackiness from mental illness. And it's worthwhile to move away from the stigma of asylums as a place for "crazy" people.

I didn't get a chance to vote in the poll, but I concur. :D
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Plus, it now pays which I am totally here for.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

BART'S PORK RIND CLOSET IT IS! \:D/
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

HOORAY! I fully support this.
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

YAY!! It's changed! WOOHOOO! =D>
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Of course it still needs descriptions. I'll work on that. \:D/
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

You're doing the best work, EK. I don't know why they ever thought of limiting your power :noway:

#realisticpromises
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

YAY! Happy to see the changes!!! \:D/ \:D/
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Connie G. wrote:You're doing the best work, EK. I don't know why they ever thought of limiting your power :noway:

#realisticpromises
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

KnittingFun14 wrote:If you think about it, Bart could very well have a closet to hide his pork rinds. It sounds just like him.
The contention isn't that Bart wouldn't have a theoretical place for his pork rinds (a reference that I still don't get whatsoever, but apparently it's a thing) it's that a definitively identified Pork Rind Closet is not a stated, or even implied, location by name. It doesn't fit with the rest of the forums, and is just an off-putting string of text to read.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I like it. :-k
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

Bart and pork rinds just go together, friend of books. I legit can't hear "pork rinds" and not think of William Bartholomew Rathbone. Bart and Doris eat them on the boat in Aloha, Oy! and Bart repeatedly tells Rodney, "Don't touch my pork rinds!" It's an absurd obsession, which makes it a fitting name for the absurd and obsessed ;)
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

bookworm wrote:The contention isn't that Bart wouldn't have a theoretical place for his pork rinds (a reference that I still don't get whatsoever, but apparently it's a thing) it's that a definitively identified Pork Rind Closet is not a stated, or even implied, location by name. It doesn't fit with the rest of the forums, and is just an off-putting string of text to read.
I defended the saying that there wasn't a definitive location shown in AIO that is a pork rind closet, which, to the best of my knowledge, is true, but I think you must have missed a few AIO episodes not to make any connection at all. Pork rinds admittedly are not a feature in most of Bart's earlier episodes, except for Aloha Oy! (where I think it was actually *Doris* who was more interested in them there), but it shows up fairly often and notably in the post-Novacom era, especially in "Prequels of Love".

In that episode, Bart does make reference to having a place where he stores pork rinds; it's somewhere in the Electric Palace basement. The way he is apparently worried that other people might touch his stash of pork rinds, I'd say it's implied that they're probably out more in the open, but that doesn't prove that there *isn't* a closet that they're stored in, whether at that point in time, or later on. It doesn't contradict what we know of his character or of the Electric Palace to suppose that he could have had one.

More to the point, it's a colorful and goofy name and a lot of people seem to be excited about it, the same people who might actually visit the board. If it doesn't strictly make sense, that is well enough since the board itself doesn't make a lot of sense either.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Again, not saying there isn't a valid connection to pork rinds themselves. The sticking point is that this specific location has been made up on our end, breaking with the naming of our other forums which are directly taken from established AiO locations.

I'm not rejecting that it's a reasonable inference, because it is.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I guess we assumed Hillingdale Haven had a padded room? Or that Harlequin Theatre had a "Gaming Den"? I could go on. ;) I don't think subforum naming conventions really count.