How do you say ToO?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

How do you say ToO?

I pronounce the letters.
46%
I pronounce it like the word.
43%
I pronounce it both ways.
11%

Total votes: 37

darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I've always said it as a word rather than abbreviation. The domain name is thetoo.com, not the-t-o-o... so...
I got thrown at the beginning hearing people say T-O-O. I know Sarah of the UAIOP always did it that way and it weirded me out. But I still love her anyway. :D
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Good grief, I didn't even realize people pronounced it "T-O-O"! I have always said "too". ;)

Do you all say "T-O-O-ers", or "Tooers"?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Well it would be pronounced the same way, so I say ‘T-O-Oers’.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

American Eagle wrote:Good grief, I didn't even realize people pronounced it "T-O-O"! I have always said "too". ;)

I always say (or rather, think) T-O-Oers
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

American Eagle wrote:Good grief, I didn't even realize people pronounced it "T-O-O"! I have always said "too". ;)

Same here. :P

Or, if you want to get literal, you could always say "big t, little o, big o - ers."
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

This \:D/ Exactly my thoughts.
*insert provocative quote here*
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

I've always said "the too". Because that's the way I first heard it said. I was surprised the first time I heard someone say "T-O-O", but I've gotten used to it now and I say it/think it that way occasionally.
bookworm wrote:Well it would be pronounced the same way, so I say ‘T-O-Oers’.
Oh, that sounds so awkward.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Mimi wrote:Oh, that sounds so awkward.
Yes, but I’ll take awkward over weird. 'Tooers'? :|
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:
It's not weird at all. The only reason you think it's weird is because you are unfamiliar with it.

"T-O-O-ers" is awkward; not because I'm unfamiliar with it, but because it takes four syllables to say a seven-letter word. Two syllables is far more logical.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Some of us dislike logic when it comes to words. ^_^

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

American Eagle wrote:
bookworm wrote:
It's not weird at all. The only reason you think it's weird is because you are unfamiliar with it.

"T-O-O-ers" is awkward; not because I'm unfamiliar with it, but because it takes four syllables to say a seven-letter word. Two syllables is far more logical.
*Tries to understand Bookworm's logic* How exactly is tooers weird?
Last edited by Mimi on Fri May 11, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:It's not weird at all. The only reason you think it's weird is because you are unfamiliar with it.
Yeah, thus making it weird to me. Like I said.
Mimi wrote:*Tries to understand Bookworm's logic* How exactly is tooers weird?
‘Too’ is not a word that is subconsciously applied as a label. It’s an adverb. So even if you know in your mind that the reason it’s ‘tooers’ is because it’s being used as the abbreviation for ToO, making it an adjective, it still causes a mental disconnect to hear it used as such.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

Yeah, but T-O-O is not An adjective (I think that's right) or a label that would be applied to a person(s) so then wouldn't T-O-Oers be equally weird?
Last edited by Mimi on Fri May 11, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

‘T-O-O’ is the abbreviation of Town of Odyssey, so it becomes an adjective when applied to a member of said town.
Granted ‘Too’ does as well, if that’s how you chose to pronounce the abbreviation, but I’m talking about how they are subconsciously perceived when heard.
‘T-O-O’ is not a word, adjective or otherwise, so your mind is trained to apply it as a label. ‘Too’ is already ingrained in the mind as either an adverb or a preposition, so that connotation supersedes the secondary use that is applied only in the context of this website.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

bookworm wrote:‘T-O-O’ is the abbreviation of Town of Odyssey, so it becomes an adjective when applied to a member of said town.
Granted ‘Too’ does as well, if that’s how you chose to pronounce the abbreviation, but I’m talking about how they are subconsciously perceived when heard.
‘T-O-O’ is not a word, adjective or otherwise, so your mind is trained to apply it as a label. ‘Too’ is already ingrained in the mind as either an adverb or a preposition, so that connotation supersedes the secondary use that is applied only in the context of this website.
I wasn't aware it all had to be so complicated. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The subconscious is complicated. :(
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

But it's our subconscious, so we don't have to think about it. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

bookworm wrote:‘T-O-O’ is the abbreviation of Town of Odyssey, so it becomes an adjective when applied to a member of said town.
Okay, you're right. And I get your logic now.
Too is engrained in your mind as an adverb/preposition so "tooers" sounds weird.
And T-O-O is, in my mind, a group of letters And putting -er in the end sounds weird.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Mimi wrote:Too is engrained in your mind as an adverb/preposition
And it’s not in yours?
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

bookworm wrote:
Mimi wrote:Too is engrained in your mind as an adverb/preposition
And it’s not in yours?
Yes it is. But like its a preposition/adverb because that's what I learned, it's also acceptable in my mind for tooers, because that's what I first learned.