How do you say ToO?

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

How do you say ToO?

I pronounce the letters.
46%
I pronounce it like the word.
43%
I pronounce it both ways.
11%

Total votes: 37

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

How do you say ToO?

Post by bookworm »

I’m curious how other members pronounce our site’s name. I know certain people that do it one way, and certain people that do it another, so I’m wondering how many do which and why.

If you think or say to yourself “I’m going to check in on the ToO” how does it sound?
Do you say “the T-O-O”, pronouncing the letters?
Or do you say “the too”, like the word?
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I say "the too" because it's easier and faster than pronouncing 3 letters out.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I say “the T-O-O” because it’s an abbreviation. That’s the only way I could imagine it. Even in my mind I can’t say “the too” that sounds totally wrong to me.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I can't say the T-O-O because it sounds completely weird to me, even though I fully see the logic behind it. But there are lots of other things that you call by their abbreviations and not say the letters out. I can think of a few companies, but those are local so I don't want to say them, but math examples are BEDMAS or LIATE. You don't say out all the letters. Or SCUBA.

But the whole shorter thing is somewhat hypocritical because I do pronounce my username "Anna star-fish-star" which takes a long time.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Saying the letters is a bit more cumbersome, but I’ve been doing it as long as I’ve been saying ‘ToO’ so I’m used to it. If I had started by saying ‘too’ then I’d probably use that.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

You should probably just say TO because the United States of America is just the USA.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Anna><> wrote:I say "the too" because it's easier and faster than pronouncing 3 letters out.
Same here.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Anna><> wrote:You should probably just say TO because the United States of America is just the USA.
An excellent point. But it’s too late to change now, it would never stick.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I suppose that by saying "the too" you're saying "the to" because "too" and "to" are homonyms. So it's right that way.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I will sometimes say "The Too." Or "The T-O-O." Or sometimes I'll just say "The Town of Odyssey." I guess it just depends on if I'm in a talkative (sp) mood or not.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I tend to use "imadoofus."
he/him | a little stinker.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I say "the too".
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I pronounce it "The T-Oh-Oh".
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I didn't know that anyone pronounced it like T-O-O
Last edited by Moontide on Tue May 08, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

I say the T-O-O or the Town of Odyssey.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've always said it the T-O-O. The other way seems very weird to me. \:D/ For a long time I had no idea other people said it like a word, and I was rather confused when something pertaining to that came up awhile ago. (I can't even remember what the circumstances were now...)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I always say The T-O-O

Saying The too is just very weird to me... :P
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I also always say The T-O-O. I just feel weird whenever I say "too" when referring to the site.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I always call this site "The T-O-O." For me, it's just weird and awkward to say "The TOO."
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Laura Ingalls wrote:For a long time I had no idea other people said it like a word, and I was rather confused when something pertaining to that came up awhile ago. (I can't even remember what the circumstances were now...)
Same here. I would see people use it as a pun in posts sometimes (like ‘me ToO’ or something) and had no idea what they were doing. It’s spelled the same, but I would read their remark like ‘me T-O-O’ which makes no sense. The first time I heard it audibly said that way was in the audio from SnC’s funeral. Then I got it. It still sounds wrong to me, but at least it makes sense now.