Lurker Central

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Bren
Former Mayor x1
Former Mayor x1

Lurker Central

Post by Bren »

Every day I check the board and see people that come on and never post. Does anyone have a theory as to why that is or how it could be changed?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Bob
-
Post by Bob »

I was on another forum once, which was having some trouble with inactivity. When asked about it, someone said something to the effect that they don't post because there aren't any interesting topics (or posts).

That might sound ludicrous, but the fact is that some members, for whatever reasons, are not naturally inclined to get things going on their own, although they may be good at reacting or following up, and they might make new content once they see a lot of other people are doing it.

So, activity causes activity.

Also, I've said in the past something to the effect that the most important thing that the staff can do to improve activity is to lead by example, and I still think that's true; having the leadership active and available has a disproportionate impact beyond their actual contributions.
Monica Stone
I guess I'll stick around

Post by Monica Stone »

I used to be a lurker just because I didn't feel committed enough to get an account. I just liked reading the thoughts of others. That changed during the infamous quarantine of 2020 and I haven't looked back.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I guess it's a little bit like social media. I could get 50 likes on a post and 0 comments. It's just easier to read things and appreciate them?
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I feel the need to post and agree with Danadelfos instead of just nodding my head at home. ;) I think sometimes people feel like they don't have anything special to add so they might read something and be glad that they did but not actually post. While the low activity does make me want people to post their thoughts more often, I understand and sometimes also do the same. A thread with ten people saying, "Yes" or "I read that" doesn't really add to a discussion. Sharing specific reasons does add to a discussion because it gives someone else another thought or point to potentially trigger their own thought that might inspire a post.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Organization might be a factor as well. Too many sub-forums spreads out activity, making it seem like there is less activity, leading to less activity. Harlequin Theater is a favorite example of mine; do we really need three sub-forums in addition to the main Harlequin forum? Edit--I'm looking at the main page, and Finneman has the same exact problem. Do we really need that much division of one part of the site?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Ditto.

(plz don't ban me)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Danadelfos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:49 am I guess it's a little bit like social media. I could get 50 likes on a post and 0 comments. It's just easier to read things and appreciate them?
I'm pretty sure that means its time to add a "like" feature to the board. \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Top Crusader wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:36 am
Danadelfos wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:49 am I guess it's a little bit like social media. I could get 50 likes on a post and 0 comments. It's just easier to read things and appreciate them?
I'm pretty sure that means its time to add a "like" feature to the board. \:D/
oh my i remember this discussion and how...passionate people were :p
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Jonathan wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:55 pm Organization might be a factor as well. Too many sub-forums spreads out activity, making it seem like there is less activity, leading to less activity. Harlequin Theater is a favorite example of mine; do we really need three sub-forums in addition to the main Harlequin forum? Edit--I'm looking at the main page, and Finneman has the same exact problem. Do we really need that much division of one part of the site?
Hmm, there is this feature -- search.php?search_id=active_topics but the issue I'm seeing is that it doesn't include the sub-sub forums. I wonder if there's a way to fix this so that it includes them. @Catspaw is there a way that we could get it to include the sub sub forums like Holstein's Books?
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Danadelfos wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:51 am
Jonathan wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:55 pm Organization might be a factor as well. Too many sub-forums spreads out activity, making it seem like there is less activity, leading to less activity. Harlequin Theater is a favorite example of mine; do we really need three sub-forums in addition to the main Harlequin forum? Edit--I'm looking at the main page, and Finneman has the same exact problem. Do we really need that much division of one part of the site?
Hmm, there is this feature -- search.php?search_id=active_topics but the issue I'm seeing is that it doesn't include the sub-sub forums. I wonder if there's a way to fix this so that it includes them. @Catspaw is there a way that we could get it to include the sub sub forums like Holstein's Books?
@Eugene is probably a better person to ask that kind of question. I'm just the pretty face. ;)
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:59 pm
Danadelfos wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:51 am
@Eugene is probably a better person to ask that kind of question. I'm just the pretty face. ;)
@Eugene! We are in need of assistance! I like this mention feature. O:)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeah, a lot of times I read stuff on here and am just like "huh, that's interesting." So I don't see much point in posting that. :p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | AIO T-Shirts |

Return to “The Steps of City Hall”